Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 10:07 PM

23 posts, read 84,923 times

Advertisements

As the title says, I am a young lesbian in my mid-twenties. Looking to move closer out of California to be closer to my family on the East Coast (Philadelphia area).
I moved away when I was 17 and have no idea where the lesbian/gay friendly cities and towns are at on the Eaast Coast and where I would be happy to call home.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would like for the place to be within a few hours of the Philadelphia area, if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 06:43 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
As a gay male myself I can tell you some of the east coast cities are primarily gay male oriented versus lesbian for whatever reason. Philadelphia definitely falls within that category. I'd recommend checking out Boston. The Jamaica Plain neighborhood would be a great option. Good luck!

Jamaica Plain | City of Boston

Old 05-25-2011, 07:13 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
I'm curious why you wouldn't choose Philadelphia itself? If you are looking for a smaller town, however, you could investigage New Nope, PA/Lambertville, NJ or Rehoboth Beach, DE. I also understand Collingswood (just across the river) is home to many glbt folks. You might try posting on the Philly board, as others can give you insight into the local suburbs, if that is your interest.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:21 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Northampton, MA, home of Smith College. Lovely, bucolic town in the Berkshires that also happens to have more lesbians per capita than any other community in the U. S.

Northampton, Massachusetts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-25-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I'm curious why you wouldn't choose Philadelphia itself? If you are looking for a smaller town, however, you could investigage New Nope, PA/Lambertville, NJ or Rehoboth Beach, DE. I also understand Collingswood (just across the river) is home to many glbt folks. You might try posting on the Philly board, as others can give you insight into the local suburbs, if that is your interest.
All are areas with many lesbian "couples". The OP is single and in her 20s. Philadelphia's lesbian singles scene is notoriously awful...just one bar for lesbians.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:52 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
What about Upstate NY areas like Buffalo's Allentown or Elmwood Village, Rochester's Park Ave., Monroe Ave. and East End, Syracuse's Westcott or Hawley-Green(gritty, but somewhat gentrified), Ithaca or Albany's Center Square(especially around Lark Street)?

Here's some information: GLBT Community - Rochester Wiki

Experience GLBT Buffalo - Visit Buffalo Niagara

Welcome to CNY Pride

Pride Center of the Capital Region | Be proud. Live pride.
LGBT - University at Albany - SUNY -

Ithaca Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Task Force

Welcome to the District of Hawley-Green!
Hawley-Green Historic District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Westcott, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Westcott Street Cultural Fair

Allentown Association
Allentown, Buffalo, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Allentown Art Festival

Lark Street BID :: Welcome
LarkFEST 2010 - Albany NY Lark Street Festival
Lark Street - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Center Square Association : HomePage
Center Square Neighborhood
Center Square Neighborhood In Albany NY - Downtown Albany Community Near Lark Street

Rochesters East End
East End Music Festival | Rochester
Park Avenue Rochester NY shops cafe restaurants
Welcome To Monroe Avenue
Monroe Avenue - Rochester Wiki
Upper Monroe Neighborhood Association | UMNA
Monroe Village (http://monroevillage.org/default.aspx - broken link)

Visitor Info | Visit Ithaca
Official Website of Ithaca, NY
Home > Downtown Ithaca Alliance

Ithaca Times : Home to Ithaca Times and Finger Lakes Community Newspapers
Syracuse New Times
Artvoice: Buffalo's #1 Newsweekly
Rochester NY News, Events, Restaurants, Music, Entertainment, Nightlife - Rochester City Newspaper
Metroland

Old 05-25-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
All are areas with many lesbian "couples". The OP is single and in her 20s. Philadelphia's lesbian singles scene is notoriously awful...just one bar for lesbians.
Assuming she is looking for bars, you may be right - I don't know. I suspect folks on the Philly boards will be able to inform her of the overall vitality of the community around here. I've seen a lot of good advice offered to similar women looking to re-locate to this area. Seems worth a thread since she wants to be near family in this area.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Assuming she is looking for bars, you may be right - I don't know. I suspect folks on the Philly boards will be able to inform her of the overall vitality of the community around here. I've seen a lot of good advice offered to similar women looking to re-locate to this area. Seems worth a thread since she wants to be near family in this area.
Just saying as a gay man who lived there for 7 years until this past December, I have a pretty good handle on things..

Old 05-25-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Just saying as a gay man who lived there for 7 years until this past December, I have a pretty good handle on things..
I guess that means it's not worth getting some other opinions.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:51 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
ny is the go to answer, IMHO, but whats wrong with philly since you already have family there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.