U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 10:42 AM

7 posts, read 5,035 times

Advertisements

I am currently in living in a rural location and I desperately want to move back to an urban area.

I am 35 years old, single with no children, no debt and no car payment. I don't own a home and will have $11,000 for a down-payment on a small (<1,000 sq) home. I don't want a roommate.

I have a BA and will likely earn $30,000 to $36,000 in a new city. I want to work as a Probation/parole officer.

I'm looking for a medium to large city with amenities, low to moderate levels of burglary, located in a gun friendly state, good job market and a reasonable cost of living.

Should I try to make it in Atlanta or should I try another city?

Potential cities: Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Louisville, Oklahoma City, Raleigh, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Tampa and Nashville?

Any recommendations for me and other millennials?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 10:48 AM

29,949 posts, read 27,441,480 times
It would be helpful if you could provide some more information on what you're looking for in a city. Any preferences with respect to weather? Politics? Nightlife? Entertainment? Size of city? Region of the country?

Old 01-06-2017, 10:55 AM

Default Pro gun state, Big Metro Area

I am open to living in the West, South and Midwest. I am a libertarian who to adapt to any political environment, but I must live in a state that is pro second amendment. Entertainment? I like art galleries, world class museums, aquariums, zoos. I definitely live adult clubs. I prefer a metro area with at least 1 million people.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:57 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,258,599 times
Just a note, it seems Dallas, and possibly Atlanta and Houston but don't quote me on that, is notably pricier than most the other cities you are considering. I would probably take that off your list unless you have some special attraction to it

Old 01-06-2017, 11:03 AM

56,741 posts, read 81,061,259 times
I think that you may have already answered your own question, given the cities mentioned. If you were open to the Northeast, Pittsburgh may be another area to consider.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:05 AM

Default Nashville, Jacksonville, Louisville, Indianapolis, Raleigh and Charlotte

My research is giving me the same impression. I'm already in Kentucky, so I'm considering a move to Louisville, KY. Indianapolis has too much violent crime. And I'm concerned about the burglary rate in Cincinnati. Nashville, Raleigh, Jacksonville and Charlotte are might be viable options.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:18 AM

Default Your Impressions of These Cities

I thought about Pittsburgh, but it's in a blue state and I'm concerned that the state may pass new gun control laws.

I guess I want to know which city you would recommend?

Tampa
Louisville
Nashville
Indianapolis
Raleigh
Charlotte
Jacksonville

I visited Indianapolis for a week and loved it.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:24 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,093,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEMCAD View Post
I thought about Pittsburgh, but it's in a blue state and I'm concerned that the state may pass new gun control laws.

I guess I want to know which city you would recommend?

Tampa
Louisville
Nashville
Indianapolis
Raleigh
Charlotte
Jacksonville

I visited Indianapolis for a week and loved it.
Since COL seems to be a big factor in your decision, I would recommend the cities highlighted.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:26 AM

Default Louisville

If I choose Louisville, I won't have to move to another state. Thanks for your input. Thank you everyone. Feel free to add more opinions.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:39 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,825,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEMCAD View Post
My research is giving me the same impression. I'm already in Kentucky, so I'm considering a move to Louisville, KY. Indianapolis has too much violent crime. And I'm concerned about the burglary rate in Cincinnati. Nashville, Raleigh, Jacksonville and Charlotte are might be viable options.
I wouldn't be too concerned about personal safety in most areas of Raleigh but I would be concerned that your presumed salary will be enough money to have the lifestyle that you want. A salary in the 30 thousands and wanting to own a home would usually push you far from the city center or into an older condo or townhouse closer into the city at best. You might be able to find an older suburban home closer to the city center if you are willing to do a lot of DYI work and maintenance but you'll probably be in competition for that small affordable home in a decent location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or