U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 12:52 PM

18 posts, read 16,225 times

Advertisements

I have the opportunity to move anywhere in the US that I wish, I just don't know where that is. Let me give you some info.

I'm mostly concerned with the climate. I can get along just anywhere politically. No matter where you go there will always be some people like you and I consider myself pretty moderate like most Americans. As for the weather. I hate snow. I've lived in Colorado for the last seven years and I just can't take it anymore. II don't mind dusting now and then but I hate driving in the stuff. Mind you the cold is fine. I also love rainy and sunny days just about as equally. And I don't mind a hot summer, I just can't do humidity. I hate desert. I like trees and greenery. That said I grew up in California and I'm not back. Period end of subject. I know that most of the responses will probably be the Pacific Northwest and I'm looking for something else. I've lived there as well and it's just too wet.

PROS
Rain
Green
Mountains and hills
Sun
Outdoors

CONS
Snow
Desert
Wide open plains
Humidity
Too much rain

Last edited by jrmh76; 01-06-2017 at 02:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 02:59 PM

17,649 posts, read 4,055,214 times
your criteria of wanting rain and greenery and no humidity contradict each other.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:05 PM

4,960 posts, read 3,451,255 times
True. I've been researching for a long time now & there are going to be tradeoffs no matter where you go.

I'm now tending towards Tennessee or Florida.

You'll have to spend time looking at different states & asking questions. No getting around it.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:34 PM

6,463 posts, read 4,063,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
your criteria of wanting rain and greenery and no humidity contradict each other.
Exactly. You've ruled out California, Colorado, and the Pacific Northwest. The upper Midwest and Northeast are going to have snow. The Southeast is going to have humidity. The Southwest is going to be dry.

Sounds like you're going to have to comprise. Which is better for you, a green environment with humidity, or a (mostly) brown environment with low humidity? (That does not necessarily mean desert or no trees, by the way.)

Coastal Southern California checks all your boxes except that it's California, and it's only green about half the year.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:13 PM

17,649 posts, read 4,055,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Exactly. You've ruled out California, Colorado, and the Pacific Northwest. The upper Midwest and Northeast are going to have snow. The Southeast is going to have humidity. The Southwest is going to be dry.

Sounds like you're going to have to comprise. Which is better for you, a green environment with humidity, or a (mostly) brown environment with low humidity? (That does not necessarily mean desert or no trees, by the way.)

Coastal Southern California checks all your boxes except that it's California, and it's only green about half the year.
Thanks.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:59 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,424,886 times
Maui, Hawaii, west side of island (drier, not humid). Has all of your pros, none of your cons.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:03 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,209,964 times
Not all of the PNW is equally wet, there are rain shadows even in the milder western parts (Olympic mountains in WA and Klamath mountains in southern OR/northern CA)

Old 01-06-2017, 07:15 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 15 days ago)

10,450 posts, read 14,299,056 times
In general look along the I-81 corridor at the higher elevations, mostly these will be smaller cities and towns. Atlanta GA(possibly) Chattanooga, Knoxville, Johnson City TN, Asheville, Boone NC, Lynchburg (and all the other burgs) Roanaoke VA, Beckley WV, etc, higher is better in terms of humidity.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:00 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,137,330 times
Why are you so adamant about not returning to California? I'm just curious but i do see that you said, "period, end of subject" regarding returning so i understand if you don't want to answer the question. It's just that there are so many great communities in northern CA that would meet your weather / nature criteria to a T.
I'm wondering if you grew up in SoCal and are a bit jaded about CA? But even if that's so you must know that it's an entirely different world up here.
I'm thinking farther north than where i am though ... north of Marin County ... Sonoma or Mendocino counties perhaps?
And if you want rain we've certainly got it this winter!!!

Old 01-08-2017, 07:19 AM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
I too agree regarding the Inter-Mountain East which doesn't have the severity of humidity of the rest of the South/Southeast, nor the heavy snow/ice in winter. Starting from the south headed north I would look at cities like Greenville SC, Hendersonville NC, Asheville NC, Johnson City TN, Blacksburg VA, Roanoke VA and Charlottesville VA. In my opinion given your ability to choose anywhere along with moderate politics overall and a year-round climate fitting your wishlist, the Asheville-Hendersonville NC area is your best fit of the group. Asheville in particular packs a big punch for variety of things to do for a city it's size and has a restaurant/food/cultural scene competitive with cities many times it's size, yet is still affordable for most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or