U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 07:35 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,160,832 times

Advertisements

Cincinnati OH it can be 70 degrees one day and snowing the next and back to 65 two days later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 09:24 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,501,359 times
All of them. Every state/city can have weather extremes and people outside the region have little reason to be aware of them.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:28 AM

24,974 posts, read 23,882,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
New York/New Jersey area definitely gets extreme weather during all 4 seasons.

Winter: The worst. Freezing cold, rainy, snowy, miserable, walking through the city is HELL, the air hurts your face, everyone gets sick, roads are a mess, overall miserable.

Spring: Probably the most mild season along with Fall. Generally warm ranging from high 50s-high 60s/low 70s. However, allergies this time of year are completely unbearable.

Summer: My favorite season, although the humidity is downright awful according to most people (I love the humidity, so it doesn't bother me). There can be periods of time in July/August where it is 90+ degrees/95%+ humidity for weeks. Going to the city in the summer is just plain awful too because the smell of the **** on the sidewalks just evaporates into the sky and the smell is disgusting (if you have asthma, good luck).

Fall: The most mild season, in late September it hovers around the 60s, dropping into the low 60s/50s/high 40s in October, and starts getting cold in Mid November (we've had cases where there was a full on blizzard on Halloween, but 70 degrees the week after in November, so Fall can be unpredictable sometimes)
It's in the Mid-Atlantic. It's really not that weird. They can have a lot of snow, Arctic blasts, hurricanes, heat waves and droughts. It's not the hottest, coldest, or stormiest place in the US.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:34 AM

352 posts, read 409,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I was curious about that, because especially here in the West there are so many micro-climates.

I am from Colorado, a state known for snow but I don't think many know about the strong, hurricane force chinook winds that the Front Range gets.

For example, the Denver gets those hurricane-force chinook winds in January that warm the area to 70 degrees or more. Colorado Springs also gets some ultra-strong winds that even at 6000 feet, can take it above 70 degrees.

Areas on southern Front Range like Pueblo can even go above 80 degrees in January.

Arizona also has some very odd weather.

Tucson for example gets an ultra-strong monsoon and even Tropical Depressions that are left-overs from Baja California. Tucson can get 13" of rain during a monsoon summer.

I was in Tucson for 2 weeks over the summer and like clockwork when it would hit 90 degrees last July, there would be heavy rain. Almost every afternoon when I was there one part of the Tucson area would have flash flood warnings.

Tucson also can have some pretty chilly summer afternoons. I remember one day last summer it was in the low 80s but after the monsoon in the afternoon it cooled to 70 degrees.

After monsoon rainfalls it is very common for temperatures in the late afternoon to be in the 70s in the middle of the summer, after peaking at about 90 earlier in the day.

Tucson is also very, very humid in the late-summer.

Other weather patterns that are not commonly known:

-Las Vegas has much cooler spring weather then Phoenix, but during Monsoon it is very similar

-Eastern San Diego County gets very hot in the summer-time, the Antolope Valley in Los Angeles gets extremely cold in the winter

-Albuquerque winters are much colder then people think. Las Cruces though has a Phoenix like winter.

-Salt Lake City has very little wind in the winter and gets extremely intense pollution. The weather people in Salt Lake City are always happy to report when a little wind comes to the Valley usually in February magically ridding the city of it's terrible January air pollution.

-Fargo can get Seattle like doom and gloom mid-winter where it is above freezing and even sometimes rains in January.
I disagree, Las Vegas is much drier and less humid during traditional Monsoon Season. The Phoenix area received 5-6 inches of rain in September of 2014 during our Monsoon, and Vegas was still baking in the 110s. The are only similar in early june to mid July. After that, the weather differences became stark imo.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:46 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,136,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
-Salt Lake City has very little wind in the winter and gets extremely intense pollution. The weather people in Salt Lake City are always happy to report when a little wind comes to the Valley usually in February magically ridding the city of it's terrible January air pollution.
Salt Lake also gets the "lake effect" snow in the winter from the GSL.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:15 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,123,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Salt Lake also gets the "lake effect" snow in the winter from the GSL.
This may be a very stupid question, but is SLC lake effect snow... salty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or