U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 09:30 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,661,739 times

Advertisements

Chicago yes, Portland no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 11:49 PM

44,742 posts, read 36,160,327 times
I've moved around a lot and really have enjoyed just about every place I've ever lived, but I do have a special soft spot for a few places in particular:

Hampton Roads area of Virginia, as well as Abingdon, MD - I really love the Chesapeake Bay area

Aschaffenburg, Germany

New Orleans, LA

Groveport, OH

I am really happy where I live, which is great since I've lived here for 25 years - LOL.

I've gone back to all those except Groveport and I loved going back to visit. Had things changed? Yes, but that's OK - I could still find that sweet spot.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:42 AM

12,419 posts, read 11,923,391 times
Hrrm...out of the former places I lived.

Childhood homes in suburban Connecticut - Absolutely not - no sense of nostalgia whatsoever.

College/grad school in Western Massachusetts - To some degree. I wouldn't want to live in Amherst, MA again - it was way too small and college town like. I would live in Northampton, MA though, which was a short bike ride away (and where my mother lived in retirement for nine years).

Coventry, UK - Nope. It was pretty ugly for an English city, as heavy bombing during WW2 destroyed most of the historic core.

Detroit, MI - Not really - I had an okay time living there, but Detroit isn't my kind of city - too spread out.

Washington, DC - It was absolutely beautiful, but I hated the transient, mercenary feel of the people I met there socially. Since it's just gotten even more horribly expensive. While it's likely if something ever happens to my job I'll have to consider moving there, I'm not enthused with the prospect.

New Haven, CT - I honestly wouldn't mind living there again. It's a small city but it had a great mix of walkable amenities in and around Downtown, along with some absolutely beautiful neighborhoods. Plus I have fond memories of riding my bike down to the beach - something I certainly can't do in Pittsburgh. It's only gotten better since I moved away too - there are two different grocery stores downtown now. Mind you, it's also much more expensive than where I live now, but so is almost anywhere interesting.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:54 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,938,622 times
Ive lived in many places throughout my life, and the one city that always tugs at the old heart strings is Naperville, IL. Its just such a wonderful city to live in. I miss the thriving downtown, the Metra trains, the shopping and dining, the cleanliness, the safety, the Riverwalk, the quarry swimming beach, the Rib Fest, Summer's Last Fling festival, the winter ice sculptures, the homes, the architecture.... oh, Im getting homesick as I write this.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:55 AM

5,662 posts, read 3,645,631 times
I'll always have a soft spot for Philadelphia, where I lived for 10 years. It's the only time in my life when I lived inside a major city (instead of in the suburbs), and it was a really neat experience. That said, I like where I live now even better, and I would not go back there to live again. You know the old saying: you can't go home again. But I do visit every now and then, and I'm happy to see the development and progress that is happening there.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:06 AM

5,662 posts, read 3,645,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I really sometimes miss living in Omaha, not in the winter but in general.
OP, you'll get a kick out of this:

Rural Nebraskan Not Sure He Could Handle Frantic Pace Of Omaha - The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Old 01-09-2017, 09:08 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,124,669 times
Grew up in a small MN town. No. nostalgia there. It was fun as a little kid but really nothing there for me anymore.

Lived in Central AZ - high desert and mountains for a while as a kid. Absolutely miss that areas topography and weather and wildlife. But, there are really no professional jobs outside of Phoenix and I don't like the valley at all.

Chicago suburbs - nope. Nothing there I don't have in the Minneapolis suburbs now but everything there is farther drive with more traffic and more expensive.

I never lived in the City of Chicago but I GREATLY miss access to that wonderful city. Wife and I may move there when we are empty nesters in a condo downtown.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:12 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,401,953 times
Not really a city but no, I have absoultely no affinity for Central New Jersey or its soulless bedroom communities. However, I DO have nostalgia for the Jersey Shore and will always have a soft spot for places like Island Beach State Park.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:22 PM

352 posts, read 291,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Nostalgia is powerful and also blinding. We tend to forget the negatives about places the led to our decision to leave and focus only on the positive memories we had there.
Indeed. I don't miss NYC, San Francisco or Tel Aviv as they are now. I miss the idealized versions that I hold in my head.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:33 PM

86,996 posts, read 102,581,357 times
I have soft spots for all the cities I've lived in, even ones I hated at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.