U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 12:03 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,034,190 times

Advertisements

Yes. Long Island, NY; Charleston, WV and Pittsburgh, PA. Miss all three, good memories, many friends are still there (but not enough to move away from Southern California)

I lived in the Saint Louis Area for two years. Hellhole, even though I miss my friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 02:59 AM

5,163 posts, read 2,790,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
Indeed. I don't miss NYC, San Francisco or Tel Aviv as they are now. I miss the idealized versions that I hold in my head.

This is exactly how I feel about San Diego.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:53 PM

4,876 posts, read 3,002,451 times
Corpus Christi, TX. Simple, easy to live in. But hotter than hell and I need more culture. Lots of wannabes there. I do miss my family, but when I visit, I am quickly reminded of why I moved.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:51 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,242,760 times
State College, PA

I hated PSU and the mentality there, but charming town with nice scenery around it.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:37 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,038,974 times
I miss my hometown of Chicago very much.

South Florida also holds special in my heart. I really enjoyed living there.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:23 AM

2,233 posts, read 1,515,864 times
I often feel that way about Tampa. I still consider it my home in a lot of ways.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:57 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,099,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Nostalgia is powerful and also blinding. We tend to forget the negatives about places the led to our decision to leave and focus only on the positive memories we had there.
Not to mention that not one place that I remember with nostalgia is anything like it was when I resided there years ago. The rent on my old NYC apartment in Brooklyn Heights has quintupled since I lived there; the familial feeling that I experienced is long-gone, I'm sure. The mom and pop stores that used to line the streets have now largely fallen away in favor of more upscale establishments that can afford the lease.
The same situation exists in many places that my husband and I have lived. So, really, my 'nostalgia' is for something that no longer exists.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:04 AM

14 posts, read 8,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I miss living in Charlotte NC so bad its painful.

I miss the grenery and the overally beauty of the city. I miss the vibrancy of living in a real city and all of the things to do there. Uptown Charlotte has a lot of energy, at least compared to where I live now. I miss having easy access to the coast and the mountains. I miss the balanced political climate. I miss being able to be open about my sexuality without fear and not having to endure gay-bashing conversations at nearly any social event I go to. I miss living in a place where religion was more of a personal choice and not constantly rammed down your throat (I know Charlotte is still more religious and conservative than much of the country but believe me, it might as well be the PNW compared to Oklahoma). I miss having enough shopping choices I never had to set foot in Wal-Mart.

I left in 2012 and still look back on that move with deep regret every day. Other than my job, there isn't a single thing, not one, that I like better about where I live now than Charlotte.

I also lived in Little Rock for a while and while I liked it less than living in Charlotte, I still have somewhat of a soft spot for it and I believe it is underrated.
I'm from Charlotte. Lived there almost 25 years and I feel the same. I miss my hometown really bad now, I feel you, it almost hurts. There's nowhere like that city.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:02 AM

15,534 posts, read 17,773,692 times
Oddly enough I miss NYC during its worst era, especially the Bronx. It was gross and dangerous, but now it has lost a lot of its flavor in exchange for being a lot less gross, yet only a bit less dangerous.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:30 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,144,228 times
I'll always have a soft spot for Salt Lake City. It's where I grew up, ages 3-13. Fun times, even for a Catholic kid. Size and physical attributes of where I live now (Colorado Springs) reminds me of SLC 40 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.