U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 11:53 AM

1,838 posts, read 1,268,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I want to point out, that one argument Dallas and Houston defenders/Austin haters use is "everyone thinks Austin is the only liberal area in Austin. Dallas and Houston are just as liberal."

Attendance for Women's march:

Austin 50,000
Houston 22,000
Dallas 7000

Now, is this the be all and end all to an argument? Of course not. But given Austin is 1/5 the size of both cities, it's not trivial.
Austin is also the Texas capital (protests tend to center in political centers or primate cities, which Texas lacks), and the center of a much more centralized metro, compared to Dallas, at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 11:57 AM

3,469 posts, read 1,359,589 times
Quote:
I want to point out, that one argument Dallas and Houston defenders/Austin haters use is "everyone thinks Austin is the only liberal area in Austin. Dallas and Houston are just as liberal."

Attendance for Women's march:

Austin 50,000
Houston 22,000
Dallas 7000

Now, is this the be all and end all to an argument? Of course not. But given Austin is 1/5 the size of both cities, it's not trivial.
You think those attendance numbers might be different if Houston or Dallas were the state capital instead of Austin?

Old 01-22-2017, 12:54 PM

4,898 posts, read 3,024,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
You think those attendance numbers might be different if Houston or Dallas were the state capital instead of Austin?
I don't know. But Seattle drew 100,000 and is not a capital. Portland is also not the capital of Oregon and outdrew Houston or Dallas. This is a rebuttal to the "Dallas and Houston are just as liberal as Austin" crowd.

Per capita, they just aren't.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:45 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,248,835 times
Quote:
I don't know. But Seattle drew 100,000 and is not a capital. Portland is also not the capital of Oregon and outdrew Houston or Dallas. This is a rebuttal to the "Dallas and Houston are just as liberal as Austin" crowd.

Per capita, they just aren't.
Now we're comparing marches? The city of Dallas is fairly liberal. Point blank. It's not a conservative city. The election results back that up. The demographics back that up, especially the # of young professionals flooding the city. Moderate is probably the best term for it. It's not a place where people really gather to voice their political opinions. It's somewhat apathetic politically. Is it Portland or Seattle? No. But politically, Austin and Dallas are a lot more similar than they are different. Sure, Austin is more liberal but that doesn't mean Dallas isn't. If anything, you're the one who is the hater. You're the one who never step foot in the actual city and are clueless about what's there.

It's possible for people to like and enjoy both cities. There's A LOT of migration from Austin to Dallas and vise-versa. The cities are way more connected than they aren't. I entertain friends from Austin here in Dallas all the time. They have a blast and are the opposite of the arrogant, pretentious, holier than thou Austitude. You have the textbook definition of "Austitude," the pretentious mindset that somehow Austin isn't Texas. You really need to get over yourself and quit spreading false information about places you know nothing about.

Last edited by DTXman34; 01-22-2017 at 01:59 PM..

Old 01-22-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Austin is also the Texas capital (protests tend to center in political centers or primate cities, which Texas lacks), and the center of a much more centralized metro, compared to Dallas, at least.
This is true. Places such as Seattle and Portland are notorious for these types of bigger protests. They're just cities that have a stronger activist feel to them than say Dallas which is more live and let live politically.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I gotta love that poster's argument that if you're a Dallas or Houston defender, you must be an Austin hater. Total and utter BS. Those 3 cities have so many similarities I don't know where to even begin.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I gotta love that poster's argument that if you're a Dallas or Houston defender, you must be an Austin hater. Total and utter BS. Those 3 cities have so many similarities I don't know where to even begin.
I mean you did call it Asstin in another thread. And someone else here, presumably a Dallasite, said the only thing he didn't like about Austin was all the attention it gets. So I get where you're coming from.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Was their bigger turnout in LA or Sacramento? Portland or Salem? Seattle or Olympia? Yes, population differences, but being a state capital isn't the only or even the most prevalent factor. And yes, Austin does have a more centralized population than Dallas. I think that's a good thing.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:46 PM

992 posts, read 582,148 times
In California, its definitely Los Angeles. While there are a lot of jealous people outside LA with a superiority complex, they're outnumbered by us Angelinos because we're THAT big!

Old 01-22-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
And yes, Austin does have a more centralized population than Dallas. I think that's a good thing.
Metro-wise, you're right that Austin is more centralized. In DFW, you have 2 cities and a lot of massive suburbs. But just looking at the urban core of Dallas, there is definitely a critical mass for such large protests. I'm not sure what the population of Central Austin is or to what degree UT inflates it, but the population of Oak Lawn/Uptown is about 50,000 and Downtown at 6,000. About 10,000 per sq. mile for Oak Lawn/Uptown, which makes it one of the densest urban neighborhoods in Texas. This doesn't include East Dallas, Design District, or Oak Cliff. Parts of Central Austin could very well have a similar density. Overall, Dallas maintains a more consistent density than Austin, but not to the degree of Houston.

Downtown has the transportation infrastructure for it (e.g. several DART stations). So the logistics are there. Another thing in Dallas is that we have many neighborhoods with their own walkable business districts, many of which have their own mini-marches. There was an anti-Trump March in the Bishop Arts District, while the Women's March took place Downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or