U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 03:18 PM

3,380 posts, read 1,329,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Virginia: Charlottesville.
Can't hate on Monticello...
Sure you can, it was owned by a white male slave owner who stood for the patriarchy and American hegemony blah blah blah...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 04:10 PM

3,784 posts, read 3,003,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I don't think Ohio has a clear winner. If we are choosing from strictly urban areas and not college towns or rural areas then it comes down to the three C's. All three are pretty distinct and have a lot to offer in my opinion.
I don't disagree with you that the Theee C's are each great, but unfortunately the perception of Cincinnati and Cleveland still seems negative, even from some inside the state. That seems to be changing though.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:33 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,401,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I don't disagree with you that the Theee C's are each great, but unfortunately the perception of Cincinnati and Cleveland still seems negative, even from some inside the state. That seems to be changing though.
If we are being over the top with wide sweeping and sensationalized negative stereotypes...

Cleveland = festering post-industrial ghetto
Columbus = bland, cowtown/one generic suburb
Cincinnati = provincial, hyper conservative/decaying river city

So I think that Columbus definitely has negative stereotypes and that they are just different a set of stereotypes than that of Cleveland or Cincinnati.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:59 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,420,410 times
Colorado: Fort Collins. I never hear anything bad said about it, it is just center enough to not be hated politically, not large enough to be a pain, not small enough to be considered a cowtown. Though, I have my personal complaints...

California: San Diego. It's not LA, so it gets points just for that. Again, middle of the road politically, is kind of bland, not too much to upset people one way or another (except for proximity to Tijuana).

Washington: Bellingham. Considered a bucolic paradise by Seattle's standards (you could say the same about Wenatchee (barf) or Port Townsend). Washington has a deep east-west divide, Olympia is the capital, and though it is a nice city, it isn't brought up much (positively or negatively), Seattle/Tacoma/Everett/Bellevue/etc all have their urban/suburban drawbacks, nobody even knows Vancouver, WA exists, and Centralia/Chehalis and Kelso/Longview are considered gross. In Eastern WA, Spokane is looked at with similar fervor as Detroit, Pullman is a literal bump in the road, the Tri-Cities are very unknown, and Yakima is considered gross.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:43 PM

449 posts, read 819,277 times
Georgia:

Savannah. Even though Atlanta is liked by many, there are a lot of folks in the more rural areas that hate it!!

Old 01-09-2017, 07:36 PM

3,784 posts, read 3,003,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
If we are being over the top with wide sweeping and sensationalized negative stereotypes...

Cleveland = festering post-industrial ghetto
Columbus = bland, cowtown/one generic suburb
Cincinnati = provincial, hyper conservative/decaying river city

So I think that Columbus definitely has negative stereotypes and that they are just different a set of stereotypes than that of Cleveland or Cincinnati.
True, but I think given the choice of the negative looks at the 3, I think Cowtown/bland has better ring to it to more people, even though negative, than the other unfair stereotypes do. But, I also tend to think Columbus is probably less known overall because of that than the others. Cleveland might be the most talked about recently as it has been on the National Stage a lot over the past year, so it may qualify also. All 3 cities are doing great things though so hopefully people will take notice!!

Old 01-10-2017, 08:15 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,218,908 times
Connecticut is pretty hard since most of our cities are crummy. Our suburbs are the most loved and praised since the quality of life is drastically higher than our cities. If I had to choose I would say either New Haven or Stamford.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:59 PM

29,932 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Sure you can, it was owned by a white male slave owner who stood for the patriarchy and American hegemony blah blah blah...
Well...

Old 01-10-2017, 10:15 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,827,316 times
Philly. I've never heard someone say they hated Philly. Most describe the city as a smaller version of NYC.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:41 AM

2,808 posts, read 1,302,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I would say the best liked city in Texas is San Antonio among Texans and Austin outside of it. There are plenty of Texans who like Austin or Dallas or Fort Worth or Houston or RL Paso, etc.,more than San Antonio but that city is probably the least controversial. Among people I met outside of Texas, Austin seems to be the favorite by a long shot, even though many of those people who prefer Austin has never been to Texas, much less outside of Austin.
This is the truth, although Austin is also very popular with Texan Transplants like myself, San Antonio seems to be the favorite of your typical born and raised Texan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or