U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 06:16 AM

3,391 posts, read 1,336,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I would say the best liked city in Texas is San Antonio among Texans and Austin outside of it. There are plenty of Texans who like Austin or Dallas or Fort Worth or Houston or RL Paso, etc.,more than San Antonio but that city is probably the least controversial. Among people I met outside of Texas, Austin seems to be the favorite by a long shot, even though many of those people who prefer Austin has never been to Texas, much less outside of Austin.
Who likes El Paso and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 08:15 AM

161 posts, read 181,799 times
For NC i'd say Asheville is most liked. While it is pretty liberal which could be polarizing, it's still the biggest tourist draw in NC that's a city. Beer, Biltmore, Blue Ridge Parkway, etc.

Charlotte and the Triangle cities are ruled out as favorites because many people in those two cities dislike the other city due to the rivalry. Winston-Salem and Greensboro are kind of neutral- not many people have strong feelings towards them either way.

I'd say Wilmington is the runner up to Asheville. I don't think it's heralded as much as Asheville though. Especially when Wilmington is compared to Savannah and Charleston it doesn't shine in the way that Asheville does.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:27 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,240,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Very true. I travel a bit and Austin is well thought of. Every other city, not so much. Citizens of other cities in Texas are jealous or resentful of Texas.

Punching bags tend to be Houston and Dallas, both in and out of the state imo.
San Antonio is actually well thought of, depending on who you talk to. Usually it's older people (50+) who travel and visit the Riverwalk.

Dallas is hated within the state because it's economically successful and also many Austinites have some ax to grind (I don't know why?). It's hated outside of the state mostly for the Cowboys and Jerry Jones. Usually young professional transplants to Dallas are shocked at how diverse the city is and how it doesn't feel like Texas. Arguably less Texan than Austin.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:30 AM

167 posts, read 113,116 times
In Texas maybe Austin. People (especially outsiders) seem to be unusually excited about Austin. I'm not crazy about this place. Even though I dislike Texas in general I think Austin is much more tolerable to deal with than Houston and Dallas. San Antonio seems boring and I hardly hear anything about it other than the river walk.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:40 AM

3,228 posts, read 1,560,833 times
I don't think there is a realistically, majority, more liked, decent sized city in PA. LOL But I'd say PITTSBURGH 👌 gets less baggage or a negative stigma then the other moderate or larger cities in PA. It is more liked without issues at sporting events then another major city and doesn't demand attention and gains a respectful perspective and impression too. Given the size of the metro, it's downtown impresses though it lacks retail one expects in a downtown.

On a smaller city liked? I'd say that one could be 👉 State College. Home to Penn St U. right in the center of the State of PA.

Last edited by DavePa; 01-11-2017 at 08:55 AM..

Old 01-11-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
In Texas maybe Austin. People (especially outsiders) seem to be unusually excited about Austin. I'm not crazy about this place. Even though I dislike Texas in general I think Austin is much more tolerable to deal with than Houston and Dallas. San Antonio seems boring and I hardly hear anything about it other than the river walk.
Yes it's incredible what amazing PR and Forbes Lists can do to a place. I know people that have no real career aspirations that want to move there, yet they've never been. It's arguably one of the most pretentious cities in the U.S. today and on its way to becoming a generic one. I've been all over, mostly growing up in and used to old urban, northeastern cities. Austin is a great place to visit, especially for SXSW. Living there can be great if you have a decent paying job and if its your type of city. But to blindly just move there without visiting and with no career aspirations is mind boggling to me. Typically this is coming from people in small towns who are not well traveled.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I don't think there is a realistically, majority, more liked, decent sized city in PA. LOL But I'd say PITTSBURGH gets less baggage or a negative stigma then the other moderate or larger cities in PA. It is more liked without issues at sporting events then another major city and doesn't demand attention and gains a respectful perspective and impression too. Given the size of the metro, it's downtown impresses though it lacks retail one expects in a downtown.

On a smaller city liked? I'd say that one could be State College. Home to Penn St U.
I think it's because Pittsburgh stands on its own in the far western side of the state and tends to punch above its weight for a city its size. Philly tends to get lost in that I-95 corridor Megalopolis, overshadowed by NYC and DC. In some ways, it feels more like Jersey than stereotypical "PA."

Old 01-11-2017, 10:00 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,256,276 times
Quote:
Very true. I travel a bit and Austin is well thought of. Every other city, not so much. Citizens of other cities in Texas are jealous or resentful of Texas.

Punching bags tend to be Houston and Dallas, both in and out of the state imo.
It has more to do with the condenscending attitude coming out of Austin. Great place to visit, not so much to live, but the only thing I'm personally jealous of after visiting is the positive PR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Who likes El Paso and why?
Well, I assumed some people from El Paso do. I mostly left it in because I didn't want someone, most likely from El Paso, jumping on my post and complaining about house other Texans always forget about them.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:43 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
It has more to do with the condenscending attitude coming out of Austin. Great place to visit, not so much to live, but the only thing I'm personally jealous of after visiting is the positive PR.

Well, I assumed some people from El Paso do. I mostly left it in because I didn't want someone, most likely from El Paso, jumping on my post and complaining about house other Texans always forget about them.
At least you're honest. Most Texans hate the positive press that Austin receives, though they won't admit it. From outsiders that visit, I always hear "the worst thing about Austin is that it's in Texas." And obviously a lot of Texans hate how liberal it seems.

i will also disagree with the earlier poster who said only small towners like Austin. From what I hear, it's people from big cities that want to get away from big cities. Austin may be getting larger, but I can drive to a secluded watering hole in twenty minutes.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:02 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,256,276 times
Quote:
At least you're honest. Most Texans hate the positive press that Austin receives, though they won't admit it. From outsiders that visit, I always hear "the worst thing about Austin is that it's in Texas." And obviously a lot of Texans hate how liberal it seems.

i will also disagree with the earlier poster who said only small towners like Austin. From what I hear, it's people from big cities that want to get away from big cities. Austin may be getting larger, but I can drive to a secluded watering hole in twenty minutes.
I'm pretty liberal and have nothing against Austin being "liberal." I disagree with the idea that Austin even is liberal to begin with. I mean, didn't it ban Uber and plastic bags while also gentrifying away poorer minorities? It's athomosphere isn't that different from that of other Texan cities, with major exceptions being that Austin has more of a college-party vibe (not to say it is a college town) and being much less diverse than the rest of the major metros. Also, I'm not some white, heterosexual, cis-male Christian who voted Republican (I've had Austinites assume I am, on multiple occasions, when I don't jump on the Austin bandwagon, for whatever reason), and Austinites aren't more tolerant than the people in Houston or DFW (suburban DFW, even, may I add). I would even say it is less accepting than the other two when it comes to politics. Can't speak of San Antonio, I've hardly spent any time there.

Any negative feelings I have is directed completely at the condescending attitude some Austinites, many of them migrants from other states, have towards the rest of the state. It's probably the most hateful and pretentious part of Texas.

As for people who've never been to Texas outside of Austin (and the airports) and say those type of things. They don't impact my view of Austin because, in my opinion, it isn't exactly Austin's fault that outsiders say stupid things. After all, Austin promotes that it is liberal, not that the rest of Texas is some backwards, redneck hell. In the end, those statements just worsen my views of the people saying them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or