Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 05:30 PM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I don't know. But Seattle drew 100,000 and is not a capital. Portland is also not the capital of Oregon and outdrew Houston or Dallas. This is a rebuttal to the "Dallas and Houston are just as liberal as Austin" crowd.

Per capita, they just aren't.
Seattle and Portland are also the only major population centers in their respective states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 11:50 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I don't know. But Seattle drew 100,000 and is not a capital. Portland is also not the capital of Oregon and outdrew Houston or Dallas. This is a rebuttal to the "Dallas and Houston are just as liberal as Austin" crowd.

Per capita, they just aren't.
No, but they are the primate cities in their respective states. In Texas, you have DFW and Houston fighting for the top spot while San Antonio and Austin are also both major metros, not only statewide but also in the nation. DFW, the largest, is less than four times the size of Austin, the capital. In California, LA is almost six times larger than Sacramento, almost eight if you include the Inland Empire. Seattle, Washington's only major city, is almost seven times larger than the next metro in Washington and almost fourteen times larger than the metro for Washington's capital. Portland, Oregon's only major city, is six times more populous than Oregon's capital, which is even part of Portland's CSA; unlike Oregon, however, Texas has multiple metros larger than the capital's, with Dallas being less than ten percent larger than Houston.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:10 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
What has any of these population comparisons got to do with this thread? Who cares how many lefties turned out for some ridiculous protest. The question is "what is the best liked city in your state".

Old 01-23-2017, 01:27 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
For SC, Greenville for people who prefer mountains, Charleston for people who prefer the beach.
I live in the middle of the state, and hardly hear people talk about Greenville. People either talk about Charleston or Columbia or Myrtle Beach. I think Charleston wins this one and Columbia and Myrtle Beach will probably tie for 2nd place. People around here are always going to the beach for the weekend, or Charleston and Columbia for shopping and dining. And my circle of friends in Charleston always talk about driving up to Columbia or the Beach, and when you say beach around here, only one place people are really talking about.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:44 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I live in the middle of the state, and hardly hear people talk about Greenville. People either talk about Charleston or Columbia or Myrtle Beach. I think Charleston wins this one and Columbia and Myrtle Beach will probably tie for 2nd place. People around here are always going to the beach for the weekend, or Charleston and Columbia for shopping and dining. And my circle of friends in Charleston always talk about driving up to Columbia or the Beach, and when you say beach around here, only one place people are really talking about.
I agree with you about Charleston, but it's hard to say what #2 is. It could be Myrtle but I wouldn't say it's Columbia since most people don't have strong feelings about it one way or the other.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:32 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I agree with you about Charleston, but it's hard to say what #2 is. It could be Myrtle but I wouldn't say it's Columbia since most people don't have strong feelings about it one way or the other.
For the record, this is in no way a knock on Greenville. Everybody I know believes it's the best area of the state for jobs or the best jobs. Just that Charleston and Myrtle Beach are closer to the Midlands area of the state. I can get to Charleston, Myrtle Beach , and even Charlotte before Greenville in drive time. On the other hand, my city always gets a bad rap. Some of it probably is deserving of and some not so much. People make it out to be way worst than what it actually is. Y'all are doing great things up there.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:14 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,116,860 times
Key west seems to be a darling throughout all of Florida.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
For the record, this is in no way a knock on Greenville. Everybody I know believes it's the best area of the state for jobs or the best jobs. Just that Charleston and Myrtle Beach are closer to the Midlands area of the state. I can get to Charleston, Myrtle Beach , and even Charlotte before Greenville in drive time. On the other hand, my city always gets a bad rap. Some of it probably is deserving of and some not so much. People make it out to be way worst than what it actually is. Y'all are doing great things up there.
That honor has belonged to Charleston for at least the past five years or so and the stats prove it.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:11 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Fort Worth, definitely. Austin a close second.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Fort Worth, definitely. Austin a close second.
As a non-Texan, I'd say it's Austin first and foremost. Fort Worth is largely overshadowed by Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.