Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,880 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are trying to decide where we want to move and it is definitely between Colorado Springs and boulder. We are in our early 20s, my husband is in college and I just finished. We're originally from Alabama (both hate it) and just moved to Austin, Tx last year and neither of us love it here. We do like the young and cool scene that Austin has, but we don't like the traffic or the heat. I'm dying to go to a place it snows a lot (I LOVE SNOW!). My husband is leaning towards Colorado Springs because he has friends there, but I'm hesitant. Can anyone give me some useful information on both cities? Another thing that is really important to me is how successful I might be in owning a bakery in either town. We are pretty financially stable and are looking to buy a house in the place we choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 04:13 PM

992 posts, read 875,989 times
Colorado Springs is, IMHO, boring and conservative. Boulder is a more ritzy, exciting town (it also costs more.) I would assume a bakery would do better in Boulder because of the bigger university and wealthier clientele.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:30 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Boulder

College town

Near Rocky Mtn National Park

Monk and Mindy was set there

Old 01-07-2017, 04:36 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rburch326 View Post
My husband and I are trying to decide where we want to move and it is definitely between Colorado Springs and boulder. We are in our early 20s, my husband is in college and I just finished. We're originally from Alabama (both hate it) and just moved to Austin, Tx last year and neither of us love it here. We do like the young and cool scene that Austin has, but we don't like the traffic or the heat. I'm dying to go to a place it snows a lot (I LOVE SNOW!). My husband is leaning towards Colorado Springs because he has friends there, but I'm hesitant. Can anyone give me some useful information on both cities? Another thing that is really important to me is how successful I might be in owning a bakery in either town. We are pretty financially stable and are looking to buy a house in the place we choose.
From what you described Boulder is a better fit..............except I don't have a clue which town is better for a new bakery.

If you do go to the Springs, check out Manitou Springs. It's the most Boulderish place in the area.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:28 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I too would give the big edge to Boulder. It's a good bit more progressive and seemingly has more disposable income. You might look outside of Boulder at towns like Lafayette, Louisville, Niwot or Longmont which are growing/booming in recent years as Boulder has become quite expensive for many to live/work in.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:21 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,863,211 times
Colorado Springs is a decent city if your married and have social connections there. It is a very married city and cliquish but with a social network already for your household and being married it's a good city.

Boulder is a very, very clean, small and orderly city with huge university that is extremely outdoorsy but it is 1/8th of the population of Austin. It makes the most of it, but it is only 100,000 person city.

I would never recommend Colorado Springs to a single person. But married at any age, it's a good city. Lots of dual-income no kids households in Central and Westside of Colorado Springs.

Colorado Springs is much, much, much more affordable then Boulder. For the price of one-average single-family home in Boulder you can get have two 5,000 square foot mansions in parts of Colorado Springs with large lot.

I would think a bakery would do much better in Colorado Springs. I would think space would be much cheaper in downtown Colorado Springs, Old Colorado City or on South Nevada or West Colorado Avenue.

Boulder seems like a very high barrier of entry market for a small business. Although, it is a very, very vibrant city so that might be an advantage over Colorado Springs for a bakery.

Boulder seems like it would be expensive to start a business and less predictable.

Boulder certainly gets much more snow then Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs is known for 1-3" snowfalls with occasionally a heavy snow. Boulder gets many, more huge snowstorms.

I personally think that Colorado Springs is the city above 100,000 people in Colorado that in parts of the city limits one could think they are the mountains. Colorado Springs is very lush and scenic in the summer. The scenery in Boulder is very, very nice but it just isn't as lush or mountainous as Colorado Springs.

There are areas on the westside of Colorado Springs that feels like an Alpine resort.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:44 PM

27 posts, read 38,623 times
Lovecrowds.. why would you not recommend Colorado Springs to anyone?

Old 01-08-2017, 07:49 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Other than Boulder is more expensive than Colorado Springs I can see no other attribute where Colorado Springs compares favorably to Boulder. It is my favorite (small) city in Colorado.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:26 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMomX2 View Post
Lovecrowds.. why would you not recommend Colorado Springs to anyone?
I think lovecrowds was talking specifically about single people (as in unmarried). When I first read that sentence, I wondered the same thing as you, but I think it's just the way he/she worded it.

I also think it's a pretty good summary of the pros and cons of Colorado Springs and Boulder, at least based on the few years of experience I had with both while living in Denver.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:16 PM

122 posts, read 167,876 times
If you voted for Hillary, move to Boulder. If you voted for Trump, Colorado Springs is more your style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.