U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 03:43 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,325,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Not only are there geological constraints that create several choke points and limited parallel routes, but there is a LOT of interstate traffic going back and forth from MSP and Chicago, and points beyond. This is a total guess but I'd say that at least 50% of the traffic on I-39/90/94 (all merge onto one road here) is from another state. I realize this interstate rings around Madison -- not through it -- but there is still a heavy volume of traffic every single time I drive through the area, no matter the time of day (and weekends can be worse due to cabin/Dells traffic).

I'm looking forward to seeing what WI-DOT will do with this roadway, particularly between Madison and the IL border.
Traffic flow of 90/39/94 near Madison isn't really an issue since it's 4 lanes wide. The notable exception is on Memorial Day, Labor Day and the last day of 4th of July weekend when half of Chicago is trying to get home from their weekend vacation at roughly the same time. (The other half is clogging up the Indiana tollway on their way home from Michigan.) The Beltline is where the congestion happens since it's the only major artery around downtown, while downtown itself is an absolute mess during rush hour for obvious reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 10:17 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,461,585 times
The stretch of US-23 between Ann Arbor and Brighton in Michigan comes to mind.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:29 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,400,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Not only are there geological constraints that create several choke points and limited parallel routes, but there is a LOT of interstate traffic going back and forth from MSP and Chicago, and points beyond. This is a total guess but I'd say that at least 50% of the traffic on I-39/90/94 (all merge onto one road here) is from another state. I realize this interstate rings around Madison -- not through it -- but there is still a heavy volume of traffic every single time I drive through the area, no matter the time of day (and weekends can be worse due to cabin/Dells traffic).

I'm looking forward to seeing what WI-DOT will do with this roadway, particularly between Madison and the IL border.
Until I made the trip to UW I didn't realize how close Madison is to Chicago.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:33 AM

167 posts, read 112,787 times
Austin, Texas? I don't know if many people are aware of it but the traffic is about as crappy as the traffic in the larger cities in Texas. There's congestion from before you reach downtown all the way to the Round Rock area. There's traffic on Loop 1, Hwy 183, I-35, and even the minor roads like Loop 360 and FM 620 that drives through the hilly area of Austin. You can't escape it.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:08 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,400,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
Austin, Texas? I don't know if many people are aware of it but the traffic is about as crappy as the traffic in the larger cities in Texas. There's congestion from before you reach downtown all the way to the Round Rock area. There's traffic on Loop 1, Hwy 183, I-35, and even the minor roads like Loop 360 and FM 620 that drives through the hilly area of Austin. You can't escape it.
I've heard really bad things about Austin traffic but I could see it flying under the radar since Dallas and Houston are considerably larger.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:13 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,220,455 times
For the past several years I have noticed horrible traffic on i24E just outside of Chattanooga. This is only a 2 lane interstate heading into Chattanooga and regardless of the time or day its backed up for miles as folks are heading into the city or perhaps passing through heading to Atlanta or even Knoxville.. its a steady 10-15 min delay, bumber to bumber, 5 miles per hour rush hour type of traffic even at 3pm on a SUNDAY! ARGH..

Old 01-12-2017, 07:41 AM

1,004 posts, read 600,751 times
Norfolk/Hampton Roads - Large bodies of water with few connections make lots of chokepoints plus all the tourists coming down for the summer. Interstate 64 should've been widened from Richmond to Hampton at least 2 or 3 decades ago

New Orleans - Interstate 10 is the only major interstate that runs in and out of the city. Yes, there is the Pontchartrain Causeway and US Routes 11 and 90, but due to the constraints of the Lake, swamps and the Mississippi River, it can impact a lot of the traffic there.

Knoxville, TN - Due to two major interstates converging in the area, 40 and 75 (and I-81 starting outside the city to the east, connecting the south to the Mid-Atlantic and Interior Northeast and has lots of truck traffic), there can be some amazingly bad congestion in Knoxville. It's not as if the freeways are narrow, but there is so much truck traffic plus all the people traveling between the Midwest and Florida on I-75 and the transcontinental traffic on I-40, it can get pretty bad.

Nashville - Probably not as surprising nowadays, but there are several major routes that connect here, plus the area is booming at the moment

Old 01-12-2017, 01:18 PM

1,827 posts, read 1,249,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
Austin has a pretty bad reputation within Texas for having horrible traffic. Even some people who've never been there will mention that as a major con of the city/metro.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:47 PM

984 posts, read 1,192,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
The stretch of US-23 between Ann Arbor and Brighton in Michigan comes to mind.
The construction doesnt help either. Visited my wife's family up there and it was a disaster.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:56 PM

2,958 posts, read 3,816,840 times
Seattle has some of the worst congestion in the country because of all the bottlenecking. Basically all traffic has to squeeze through a handful of choke points to move across the city due to geographic barriers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or