Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 12:32 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,756,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I was surprised at how bad traffic is in and around downtown Madison Wisconsin is during rush hour but it makes sense when you look at the city on a map. Downtown sits between two lakes on a strip of land that's only a few blocks wide. To get from one side of town to the other, you either have to squeeze through that little strip of land or drive all the way around one of the lakes.
I can't imagine a downtown of any city in the country squeezed into such a confined space as the Madison isthmus. Add all the crazy diagonal streets and that you can't drive your car on State Street and DT Madison is a pain to get around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 12:47 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,378,795 times
I'm gonna say any sizeable city with jobs and a highway. I peak at a lot of threads for other cities and traffic is the main thing people complain about. Even if it takes 2 minutes to make a left turn, people say traffic is terrible.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:55 PM

23,279 posts, read 23,649,722 times
Seattle and Portland surprised me.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:33 PM

9,880 posts, read 5,543,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I can't imagine a downtown of any city in the country squeezed into such a confined space as the Madison isthmus. Add all the crazy diagonal streets and that you can't drive your car on State Street and DT Madison is a pain to get around.
And don't forget all the one-way streets. It makes sense for the big arterial streets but all the one-way side streets are maddening. Oh, and my favorites are the non-contiguous streets that just do a 90-degree curve onto another street instead of forming a conventional intersection with that street so that you could have just continued on the street you were just driving on instead of having to find your way back to it... It's like DT Madison is deliberately designed to make drivers go bonkers.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:58 AM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I've heard really bad things about Austin traffic but I could see it flying under the radar since Dallas and Houston are considerably larger.
Both have considerably better traffic.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:16 AM

760 posts, read 874,924 times
People are either surprised by Denver traffic, or talk about how "good" it is. Lots of comparisons to LA.

It's really just as bad as any other major city, but because the size of the city is fairly small, it doesn't seem as bad. The congestion per mile is still pretty bad during rush hour. It takes about 45 mins to an hour to cross town in the afternoon.

Another one was Minneapolis. All of suburban routes are solid red 2-3 hours every morning and night. There are even some spots that maintain congested well into the late night. For a city that shuts down at 10pm, it was weird seeing such a heavy flow of cars anywhere on the freeways between 1-3am. Also getting to the airport in the middle of a week day can take up to 45 mins. It seems like their problem is that they built so many freeways, and made it inconvenient to take surface streets, that there are bottle necks at every merge in the system. I'm sure it was fine a decade or two ago, but with how fast the city is growing, it seems to be getting chocked now.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:54 PM

4,420 posts, read 6,236,328 times
Cincinnati gets a lot more congested than I thought it would.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:57 PM

9,880 posts, read 5,543,460 times
It's interesting how many people are surprised to learn many of the nation's major metropolitan areas have bad traffic. Surprised about traffic in Seattle or Portland or the Twin Cities? No. Surprised about bumper-to-bumper traffic in Chattanooga? Yes.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:30 AM

12 posts, read 9,877 times
Easy...Clearwater FL, Sarasota FL to Naples/Estero, BirminghamAL (southside)

Old 01-19-2017, 02:30 PM

587 posts, read 1,096,879 times
I lived in Delaware (northern DE - Newark, New Castle area) for many years. Due to its location between the northern cities of New York and Philly, and the southern cities of Baltimore and DC (and point beyond) vacationers would clog the highways, and backups could be for MILES. In addition, heading to the Delaware beaches during NASCAAR weekends was also a chore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.