Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 11:15 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
I'm just teasing you. No offense intended but "back out east"?!
Out west. Back east.
Consider Boise or Salt Lake City.
Consider Boise, ID or Salt Lake City.
I have heard some Michiganders say "Out east" instead of "Back east."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 11:26 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPatriotsfan82 View Post
It's all the little things that add up! Work out World is a great gym in Mass that is just 10 bucks - they even have an infrared sauna. I was looking for a basic ten buck Planet Fitness which is basically available in any decent sized metro area.

Yea, it will be tough finding clients anywhere although we already have about 80k a year secured so anything extra will be extra. Finding a nicer place to live & have an opportunity to find clients would be the perfect scenario.
"Decent sized metro area" is the ticket to some things that just are not available at reasonable cost in less populous areas, or even at all.

I would love to have the Olympic-size swimming pool that one large metro 'burb rents out to kayakers for roll practice for SEVEN HOURS nearly every Sunday, for less than $10 in either the morning or the afternoon portion. All the other pools I have been to charge about that amount for anywhere from only 45 minutes to an hour and a half, and the pools are much, much smaller, so there is a low limit to the number of participants. And some of them are open for that purpose only one session per month.

Volume allows a bigger range of services to be offered at reasonable cost. It's one of the tradeoffs made when choosing to live far from a big city and its affluent 'burbs. Evening entertainment choices is often one of those things.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:11 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPatriotsfan82 View Post
Salt Lake City is on the list, although I am not sure how the area is for non Mormons. Not a fan of Boise other than the beautiful greenbelt. Lived near there several years ago and thought it was a bit isolated and boring.
I lived in SLC for many years and thought it was isolated and boring. Boise actually has a downtown with more personality and a more locally owned business climate compared to SLC. For instance downtown Boise is big on locally owned restaurants, businesses whereas downtown SLC is big on chains. Both cities are growing and have their positives and negatives.

Downtown Boise has grown at a crazy rate the past few years with new developments, hotels, condos, and now has a Whole Foods and Trader Joes within blocks of each other, but the buy and support local business attitude is really evident. Also in Boise you don't have to deal with the sometimes stifling LDS influences/Utah state laws supported by the LDS Church government which SLC has regardless of how it has evolved the past few years.

SLC has light rail and Boise has The Greenbelt and a strong cycling culture.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 01-10-2017 at 08:22 AM..

Old 01-10-2017, 10:21 AM

31 posts, read 23,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Salt Lake is totally fine for non-Mormons. As i said in a recent post on another thread, Salt Lake City is changing (has been for years) and they even elected a lesbian for mayor so that says something. And i'm not tuned into the small business world but for some reason i have it in my head that it's a good place in that regard.
The temp inversions and resulting poor air quality in the winter is a drag but i think that's just in the winter. I have family from Salt Lake and went to UofU for a brief time. My memory is that for a stretch of time in the winter it was just socked in. Maybe it's worse now. Check on the Utah forum about that.
Yeah, Boise isn't actually a city that i'm crazy about but many people like it.
Have you considered Santa Fe?
Good to know. Since I am only a few hours away, I will probably check the area out to see if it is a good fit. Only been to the area a few times for short trips, however, that was 5-6 years ago.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:24 AM

31 posts, read 23,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I lived in SLC for many years and thought it was isolated and boring. Boise actually has a downtown with more personality and a more locally owned business climate compared to SLC. For instance downtown Boise is big on locally owned restaurants, businesses whereas downtown SLC is big on chains. Both cities are growing and have their positives and negatives.

Downtown Boise has grown at a crazy rate the past few years with new developments, hotels, condos, and now has a Whole Foods and Trader Joes within blocks of each other, but the buy and support local business attitude is really evident. Also in Boise you don't have to deal with the sometimes stifling LDS influences/Utah state laws supported by the LDS Church government which SLC has regardless of how it has evolved the past few years.

SLC has light rail and Boise has The Greenbelt and a strong cycling culture.
Haven't been to Boise in 6 years or so maybe it has changed since then. I am more afraid of living in a mainly college aged population. My husband and I are in our earlier 30s and feel really uncomfortable with the college town we are now living in - like everyone is looking at us like we shouldn't be here all the time (Flagstaff). Last time I was in Boise all I saw were chains - hopefully that has changed! That is great that they now have a Trader Joe's an Whole Foods - not going to complain about that as I only have a WF now and have to drive 1.5 hours to the TJs. Hopefully I can take a trip in the next few months before we make our decision. Thank you so much for your feedback.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:57 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,740,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I have heard some Michiganders say "Out east" instead of "Back east."
It's culturally / historically silly.
"We" started out in the east and went west. Out west. Someone who had moved west and needed to return to the east, would go back east. And they'd say it that way.
Imagine a pioneer who had moved from Massachusetts to Montana and needed to go see his dying mother saying that he was "going out east".
It's just a little pet peeve of mine. I hear it a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.