Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 09:53 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Tough winters need tough houses that hold a lot of people, because your large family can't hang outside when it's 10 below zero.
That is the weirdest thing I think Ive ever read on C-D. Do you just make stuff up off the top of your head and hope believe will believe it or???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 10:03 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,812,226 times
The poorest neighborhoods in Minneapolis were all originally built for the middle class and upper middle class.

The Near North:

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.0023...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Powderhorn on the south side:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...650108!6m1!1e1

Those are actually some of the poorer parts of Minneapolis.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:19 PM

242 posts, read 239,874 times
Greenspoint in Houston: https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9470...1!2i35!6m1!1e1

Hobby Area in Houston
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6713...6!9m2!1b1!2i35

Alief in Houston:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gr...!4d-95.4027904

Old 01-13-2017, 03:34 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
It dropped to 10 below zero once this year. You can survive that.
Even Chicago gets to 10 below VERY rarely and it's the upper Midwest. We're actually supposed to be in the 40's and 50's here for the next two weeks - and it's mid January!

Old 01-13-2017, 07:22 PM

14 posts, read 13,947 times
I disagree. I live in the Midwest and the bad neighborhoods here are horrid, badly run down and ugly. The south has the prettiest bad neighborhoods. Many resemble middle class areas of the Midwest in appearance. Google image search and google map "hidden valley Charlotte" and "frayser Memphis" both of these are hardcore gang controlled ghettos. Some of the worst the country has to offer when it comes to gangs and violent crime. Both have made appearances on first 48 and gangland. Look how big and beautiful those houses are and how up kept and clean it is. Looks like the suburbs.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:46 PM

824 posts, read 713,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCAC View Post
I disagree. I live in the Midwest and the bad neighborhoods here are horrid, badly run down and ugly. The south has the prettiest bad neighborhoods. Many resemble middle class areas of the Midwest in appearance. Google image search and google map "hidden valley Charlotte" and "frayser Memphis" both of these are hardcore gang controlled ghettos. Some of the worst the country has to offer when it comes to gangs and violent crime. Both have made appearances on first 48 and gangland. Look how big and beautiful those houses are and how up kept and clean it is. Looks like the suburbs.
I think it wasn't that we were discussing about how decayed an area was compared, we were more discussing the architecture of the "hood". Also I would say the West Coast has the least decayed and rundown areas. I think that the South also has a lot of that west coast thing going on, where in the "bad" areas, a lot of the time the houses aren't as old and aged as Eastern City. But if you go into the core of Southern cities a lot of the time, they are just as or even more rundown than midwestern cores, and that is combined with a lot of the housing in "hood" areas of the South was working class in the first place, compared to the Midwest, where much of the housing was original middle or upper classes.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:12 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
No matter what part of the country you're in, if a neighborhood was originally middle-class or richer, the impressive architecture will still show, even though other aspects of neighborhoods have deteriorated. That's obvious in older northeast and Midwest cities like D.C., New York, Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore et al.

Similarly, no matter where, housing thrown up for the working class, the poor, will (barring gentrification) always look like the hood because construction and design were shoddy to start out.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:57 PM

14 posts, read 13,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
I think it wasn't that we were discussing about how decayed an area was compared, we were more discussing the architecture of the "hood". Also I would say the West Coast has the least decayed and rundown areas. I think that the South also has a lot of that west coast thing going on, where in the "bad" areas, a lot of the time the houses aren't as old and aged as Eastern City. But if you go into the core of Southern cities a lot of the time, they are just as or even more rundown than midwestern cores, and that is combined with a lot of the housing in "hood" areas of the South was working class in the first place, compared to the Midwest, where much of the housing was original middle or upper classes.
I agree and disagree. In the Midwest a lot of the "hoods" have 1880-1920s mansion houses that have been converted into crappy apartments and left for neglect. In the south (especially NC, GA, and TN) you have a lot of ranch style 1 story homes built from the 50s-70s with garages sitting on a half acre or even an acre that are in subdivisions with cul-de-sacs in the hood. A lot of "hoods" in Charlotte, Memphis, and Atlanta in particular are in suburban subdivisions. I would argue that these neighborhoods are also good housing stock AND are not blighted or neglected. A lot of these ghettos have a lot of middle class residents and families too, unlike the Ne or Midwest where the hood is mostly only poverty stricken residents, but the streets have become dangerous because the underclass the poor folks there suffer extreme generational poverty, drug addiction, and hopelessness in these nice surroundings and as a result are just as violent and ignorant as the worst of the worst anywhere else. This is why I think gangs hit the south late, because the hood isn't 100% poor like other regions and it's not super segregated either.

Last edited by NorthCAC; 01-13-2017 at 09:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.