Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2017, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 7,218 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the middle of nowhere northwest Florida with my parents 15 miles outside of town with population of less than 3000 people. I'm looking to move out and get a job as what work there was here construction has dried up and there really aren't any other jobs here other than minimum wage burger flippers. I have numerous skills I'm good at repairing computers, laying tile, wiring electrical , carpentry, cooking, grafting fruit trees, gardening playing any stringed instruments. I'm also trying to learn java I know C++ from college and write some android apps to try and land a programming related job. I have 1/2 of an electrical engineering degree if that's worth anything. Also sadly, 90% of my jobs have been under the table construction computer repair, or musical gigs, (no w-2 or 1099) I have only ever held one job that gave me a w-2 and even that paid under the table sometimes. What would be best way to move out of this place? I would rather not move without a job lined up but it seems most employers would prefer local applicants. Could I land an IT job with degree or certifications work experience that I can prove and not being a local applicant? I do not really have enough money saved to live somewhere and look for work nor would I really want to go that route in this economy with my lacking resume either.

Thanks

RIP Snowman AKA " The Alabama Wild Man" AKA " The Tupelo Mississippi Flash"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 07:51 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
First you should decide what you want to do, at least in the short-term. Do you want to do a skilled trade for a living or work in IT? The former suggests investigating how to get a union card, preferably somewhere you'd want to settle for a while. If you prefer IT it suggests hanging tough for two years where you are and getting your degree. Or do you want to take a stab at being a professional musician? That would mean looking for gigs in a larger city than where you are, and you have to figure out how to support yourself in Nashville or LA or New York or New Orleans or someplace like that while you work on a career.

Once you decide on a career path, it'll be easier to figure a way out of small town life.

Good luck

Old 01-13-2017, 09:48 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Instead of looking for someone else to employ you, why not market your multiple assets into a single business? You already said you mostly do under-the-table work using one or two of your skills at most. So market and brand yourself as a multi-talented, multi-purpose business. Computers, cooking, and carpentry sounds like a genius idea to me. In a small town like that, it would be easy to set up fliers with witty advertising establishing who you are and what you do. The best way to start getting attention is where the most people congregate in those places. At church and school. Get involved and ask around. I bet you there's a whole plethora of problems church and school staff are having with their tech gadgets. And do you know how much you can make selling delicious food and snacks to a hungry congregation and afterschool kids? Set up a plan, write down how much you want to make in a month, get some business cards, set up a facebook, advertise at town events, etc. Your opportunity to make great money is right where you live.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:49 AM

3 posts, read 7,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
First you should decide what you want to do, at least in the short-term. Do you want to do a skilled trade for a living or work in IT? The former suggests investigating how to get a union card, preferably somewhere you'd want to settle for a while.
I wouldn't mind being an electrician but most of the unions say they are not taking new members due to lack of work and if you do get all work will go the senior members before you not a good plan.

Quote:
If you prefer IT it suggests hanging tough for two years where you are and getting your degree.
I would love to work in IT but where do I get my degree here? Online? What kind of degree would I get online for IT?

Quote:
Or do you want to take a stab at being a professional musician? That would mean looking for gigs in a larger city than where you are, and you have to figure out how to support yourself in Nashville or LA or New York or New Orleans or someplace like that while you work on a career.
I would like to be professional musician I've looked in to that but if you haven't heard the old music industry is dead. The Nashville , LA New York , and other big city record labels, publishing companies, Ect, are. really hurting for money thanks to technology. You make money in the music business these days through gigs, record sales will get you nowhere. And, being independent is the way to make the most money but you have the be guitar player, singer, travel agent, booking agent, accountant, and recording engineer, In order to make more a decent wage though net profit. I was actually wanting to move to some place like Austin, Nashville, Memphis, Omaha or some other americana music oriented town to network with other musicians as the music business success is 80% based on who you know.

Once you decide on a career path, it'll be easier to figure a way out of small town life.

Good luck[/quote]

Old 01-14-2017, 06:48 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
electrician union shops in the Minneapolis/St Paul area can't find enough applicants for their apprenticeship programs as there is so much demand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.