U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 11:27 AM

638 posts, read 711,682 times

Advertisements

I've lived all over the usa but for some reason the ghettos in the Midwest have the prettiest houses, even if they are boarded up. I don't know why this is, down south in the hoods, the houses are tiny as all heck, same with California houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 12:15 PM

3,213 posts, read 1,543,956 times
Chicago's Southside low-income areas and sadly where the gangland crime is. Was not built as low-income. Many Were upper middle-class originally. Also separated housing was the norm there and some Southside neighborhoods now depressed. Have larger city lots then most of the cities standard lot sizes.

Detroit also surprisingly was virtually all single vibrant homes now in the hood as you say. Sadly so many homes lost or boarded up and most probably will be lost. This is a major difference then Eastern city hoods with tight-knit housing.

A difference in a ghetto and slum is a slum is generally as in most parts if the world. Built as such and was always for the lowest classes. But in the US Ghetto areas were never built as such. They were originally modern vibrant midde-class neighborhoods. You might say part of the "hood" now.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:18 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,428,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
I've lived all over the usa but for some reason the ghettos in the Midwest have the prettiest houses, even if they are boarded up. I don't know why this is, down south in the hoods, the houses are tiny as all heck, same with California houses.
Tough winters need tough houses that hold a lot of people, because your large family can't hang outside when it's 10 below zero.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:54 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,825,168 times
The Youngstown-Warren-New Castle-Sharon mini metro has some of the best Craftsman housing stock I have ever seen. I don't even know if residents realize the treasure they have.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:04 PM

3,955 posts, read 3,487,388 times
Because the inner city cores of Midwestern cities were built during a time when that housing style was prevalent around the turn of the 20th century. Sunbelt cities have much newer built forms and expand rapidly so their inner rings that tend to be run down are much newer.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:10 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,426,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
Sorry but I have to disagree with you on this one. IMO, for some reason I think Down south, partically Atlanta Metro has the prettiest Ghettos or Ghetto burbs with Nice homes. I know quite a few. You can go to some Neighborhoods/ Subdivisions in Metro Atlanta, as well as Apartment complexes and you will think they are nice, pretty big homes as well but once the sun goes down, especially in the Summer time it's a war zone... Areas know for this or known Ghetto burbs (Clayton County, Riverdale, parts of Stone Mountain, Decatur, East Point, College Park) just to name a few.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:59 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,400,204 times
An example of this could be Olde Towne East in Columbus.

The wealthy constructed elaborate homes in the neighborhood. The neighborhood declined over time, a lot of the large homes were divided up and rented out as apartments, just in the last decade or so is starting to see signs of revitalization.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:01 PM
_OT

2,143 posts, read 1,518,376 times
As far as Neighborhoods, and Environments go, I think the West Coast has the nicest looking hoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
A difference in a ghetto and slum is a slum is generally as in most parts if the world. Built as such and was always for the lowest classes. But in the US Ghetto areas were never built as such. They were originally modern vibrant midde-class neighborhoods. You might say part of the "hood" now.
I agree.

Most of the "Ghettos" in the South were neighborhoods that were either built for the lower income, or built by those of lower income, especially after slavery. (Ex: Shotgun Houses)

Old 01-10-2017, 08:57 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Most of the "Ghettos" in the South were neighborhoods that were either built for the lower income, or built by those of lower income, especially after slavery. (Ex: Shotgun Houses)
You mean the neighborhoods they were redlined to live in?

Old 01-11-2017, 09:03 AM

1,004 posts, read 600,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Sorry but I have to disagree with you on this one. IMO, for some reason I think Down south, partically Atlanta Metro has the prettiest Ghettos or Ghetto burbs with Nice homes. I know quite a few. You can go to some Neighborhoods/ Subdivisions in Metro Atlanta, as well as Apartment complexes and you will think they are nice, pretty big homes as well but once the sun goes down, especially in the Summer time it's a war zone... Areas know for this or known Ghetto burbs (Clayton County, Riverdale, parts of Stone Mountain, Decatur, East Point, College Park) just to name a few.
When I lived in Atlanta, I knew far too many transplants from NYC and other parts of the NE who thought a particular neighborhood "wasn't so bad," because it had single family homes and garden-apartments that were built in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. It looked like paradise compared to the housing projects and tenement row houses. Little did they know that was a huge mistake to make those assumptions.

A lot of hood parts of Los Angeles have people fooled because many of them have wide streets lined with palm trees and attractive, spanish-style single family homes. Even Oakland has some decent craftsman architecture in some of its hoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or