U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 01:44 PM

148 posts, read 641,560 times

Advertisements

Now this might have been a one time thing...maybe a dump truck lost some debris or something...but literally crossing the NY state border on I84 one time... trash all along side the highways...then again on I684. This was coming from CT...not saying my home state is the cleanest..but I was taken aback by how much trash was on the highway! And this was upstate..kinda. And it was weird cause it started literally as we crossed into NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 02:10 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,379,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davfar View Post
...but I was taken aback by how much trash was on the highway! And this was upstate..kinda. And it was weird cause it started literally as we crossed into NY.
Maybe this was because some states are better than others at cleaning up litter(?). Maybe CT has state employees that collect litter from hwy shoulders, or perhaps an "adopt a highway" program...?

Old 03-03-2008, 02:20 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,251,940 times
Maine, Vermont, actually most of the New England States are very clean.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:40 PM

208 posts, read 540,336 times
Northern New England seemed very clean to me. I love hiking the trails there too. Although some parts didn't exactly look wealthy, people still had neat houses and virtually no litter in yards or in the countryside.

Wisconsin was like a postcard, atleast the part where my cousin's family lives. Bravo to the people of Wisconsin for having such a clean state.

I agree with what some people said about New Jersey. Trash along side the interstate, debris hanging on the trees. I even saw some trailers with washing machines on the front porch. I'm thinking alot has to do with the density of the state. But the northern mountain/hilly region is very clean and refreshing.

Tennessee can be very dirty despite the natural beauty of the state. Nothing saddens me more than to see my own home state looking trashy. The eastern part of the state gets alot of visitors also so I think some of it is visitors being disrespectful as I have seen people with out of state tags throw litter out their cars, but the natives doing the same thing doesn't help either. Also a story was done on the local news about dump trucks spreading debris throughout the area. That was the source for alot of the litter as well.

Virginia seems pretty clean overall. There are a few mountain areas where debris is common though. But it isn't as widespread as their neighbor to the south (TN). Despite the misconceptions people have of Mississippi, I thought that state was pretty clean, while atleast the areas along the interstates.

West Va and Pennsylvania, while having nice scenery, have some litter problems too. I was at a stop light in Waynesburg, PA and I saw a woman actually throw out two Marlboro (box) containers out of the window. I was kind of shocked to see so much litter on I-70 from Wheeling to Washington, PA. It looked dirtier than the worst parts of Tennessee. The litter problem seemed to sweep into parts of southeastern Ohio too. It also seemed like alot of people in that region throw their cigarettes out of their cars at high speeds.

I lived in Florida several years ago also. It's a mixture down there. Parts are very dirty while others are clean. I don't remember the part I lived in being particularly dirty, but the scrubby landscape made me feel scrubby too.

Last edited by blueeyes30; 03-03-2008 at 02:58 PM..

Old 03-03-2008, 03:14 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,225,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post
But the northern mountain/hilly region (of New Jersey) is very clean and refreshing.

Tennessee can be very dirty despite the natural beauty of the state. Nothing saddens me more than to see my own home state looking trashy. The eastern part of the state gets alot of visitors also so I think some of it is visitors being disrespectful as I have seen people with out of state tags throw litter out their cars, but the natives doing the same thing doesn't help either. Also a story was done on the local news about dump trucks spreading debris throughout the area. That was the source for alot of the litter as well.

Virginia seems pretty clean overall. There are a few mountain areas where debris is common though. But it isn't as widespread as their neighbor to the south (TN). Despite the misconceptions people have of Mississippi, I thought that state was pretty clean, while atleast the areas along the interstates.

West Va and Pennsylvania, while having nice scenery, have some litter problems too. I was at a stop light in Waynesburg, PA and I saw a woman actually throw out two Marlboro (box) containers out of the window. I was kind of shocked to see so much litter on I-70 from Wheeling to Washington, PA. It looked dirtier than the worst parts of Tennessee. The litter problem seemed to sweep into parts of southeastern Ohio too. It also seemed like alot of people in that region throw their cigarettes out of their cars at high speeds.

I lived in Florida several years ago also. It's a mixture down there. Parts are very dirty while others are clean. I don't remember the part I lived in being particularly dirty, but the scrubby landscape made me feel scrubby too.
In my experiences in these states, this assessment is pretty much spot on. Mississippi is a very clean state, also, I hope those people know just how beautiful their state really is.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:24 PM

794 posts, read 3,025,130 times
Mississippi used to be pretty filthy, but they've had a very active campaign concerning litter. I've noticed that Mississippi is pretty clean now. Louisiana is definitely filthy in most areas (not all). I remember Virginia being pretty clean. Colorado (specifically around Denver and Boulder) seemed very clean as well.
I actually find Florida to be surprisingly dirty (specifically the panhandle).

Old 03-03-2008, 04:17 PM

6,955 posts, read 14,086,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davfar View Post
Now this might have been a one time thing...maybe a dump truck lost some debris or something...but literally crossing the NY state border on I84 one time... trash all along side the highways...then again on I684. This was coming from CT...not saying my home state is the cleanest..but I was taken aback by how much trash was on the highway! And this was upstate..kinda. And it was weird cause it started literally as we crossed into NY.
Coming from CT, you were closer to NYC. I know upstate starts pretty far downstate, but I only consider upstate areas to be within 30-40 miles south of the Thruway (I believe I-90) and north. That would include cities such as Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, Ithaca, Geneseo, Watertown, Lake George, Sylvan Beach, Plattsburgh(I believe that's the name).

Old 03-03-2008, 05:44 PM

246 posts, read 789,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Coming from CT, you were closer to NYC. I know upstate starts pretty far downstate, but I only consider upstate areas to be within 30-40 miles south of the Thruway (I believe I-90) and north. That would include cities such as Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, Ithaca, Geneseo, Watertown, Lake George, Sylvan Beach, Plattsburgh(I believe that's the name).
I agree...upstate is not Putnam County, NY or along 684 in Westchester. It's the northern suburbs of NYC. Upstate NY begins somewhere between Poughkeepsie and Albany - the large southern handle of NY state is considered the NYC area to most real upstate locals.

I used to travel along 84/684 daily from Ridgebury, CT to White Plains and never saw an abundance of litter.

Connecticut does take pride in their highways. The Merritt Parkway is meticulous and 84, 91 and 95 are very clean for being some of the busiest interstates in the nation. I always see DOT trucks parked in the median taking care of the trees and grass.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:50 PM

95 posts, read 261,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee784 View Post
I agree...upstate is not Putnam County, NY or along 684 in Westchester. It's the northern suburbs of NYC. Upstate NY begins somewhere between Poughkeepsie and Albany - the large southern handle of NY state is considered the NYC area to most real upstate locals.

I used to travel along 84/684 daily from Ridgebury, CT to White Plains and never saw an abundance of litter.

Connecticut does take pride in their highways. The Merritt Parkway is meticulous and 84, 91 and 95 are very clean for being some of the busiest interstates in the nation. I always see DOT trucks parked in the median taking care of the trees and grass.
The Merritt Parkway is the cleanest highway I've ever been on.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:11 PM

30,178 posts, read 67,320,481 times
Pennsylvania has a lot of issues with litter. I-81 through the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre metroplex is rather unsightly this time of year as the snow melts, yielding a fresh harvest of a season of littering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.