U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 10:20 PM

7,816 posts, read 12,321,925 times

Advertisements

CLEANEST

1. Idaho
2. Utah
3. Wyoming
4. North Carolina
5. Virginia

DIRTIEST

1. New Jersey
2. Pennsylvania
3. California
4. Florida
5. New York (I've only been to NYC so its skewed)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 10:23 PM

7,816 posts, read 12,321,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Moderator cut: off topic remark
Haven't been to enough states to really say, but from what I've seen, I'll post by city or area:

Cleanest
  1. San Jose, CA
  2. Upstate NY
  3. Honolulu
Dirtiest
  1. Vegas
  2. Vegas
  3. Vegas
  4. Vegas
  5. Vegas
  6. SoCal
  7. DC
Really? Vegas is one of the cleanest I've been to!!!!!!!

CITIES LIST

CLEANEST
1. Boise, Idaho
2. Salt Lake City
3. Las Vegas
4. Raleigh

DIRTIEST

1. New York City
2. Philadelphia
3. Baltimore
4. Oakland, California (trash was everywhere, the BART subway system was nasty, smelling and litter all over the platforms and trains, streets had lots of litter and graffiti)

5. Newark
6. Atlantic City (stray cats live under the Boardwalk eating trash)
7. Miami
8. Washington, D.C.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:31 PM

369 posts, read 1,497,079 times
Cleanest:
Mississippi
Colorado
Wisconsin
Vermont

Dirtiest:
Georgia
California
Florida
New Jersey

Old 03-04-2008, 02:23 AM

355 posts, read 911,655 times
Litter has been a pet peeve of mine since as long as I can remember. I HATE litter and the inconsiderate slobs who do it. There is so much natural beauty in all of the states and so much of it is ruined by the crap that people toss out their windows.

Yikes....don't get me started. I delivered a speach in one of my college courses (years back) on persuading people not to litter......I got a standing ovation. I have picked up trash that I see others throw out and give them a look that hopefully makes them feel stupid.

I've been through a lot of states and I have noticed litter in most states some being way worse than others. Two states that did impress me as clean are VA and WI. I was most shocked at the litter in WA state. It's certainly not the worst I've seen but being that it is such an environmentally conscious place, I didn't expect it. I recently went for a walk on a beautiful trail only to find a ton of cigarette butts among other litter. What's up with this? It's bad enough when you see tons of trash in backyards all over....but when they start to leave a mess in a public park....there is no excuse.

The fines for littering should be better enforced.....if we are going towards being a greener country....this would be a good place to start. The end.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:41 PM

148 posts, read 641,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee784 View Post
I used to travel along 84/684 daily from Ridgebury, CT to White Plains and never saw an abundance of litter.
I think you're mixing up Danbury and Ridgefield...no such thing as Ridgebury.

Anyway, I always considered Upstate NY to be anything north of Westchester.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:53 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,572,850 times
Cleanest city I've seen is Lexington, KY and most areas in Northern Virginia as well.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:31 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,440,139 times
Cleanest:

I noticed that Washington and Minnesota seemed rather clean.

Dirtiest:

Some of the dirtiest places I've been include southside Chicago, Illinois, parts of southeast Pennsylvania, northern New Jersey, Detroit, Michigan, New Orleans, Louisiana, much of greater LA, the Bronx, and a few others.

I live in metro Atlanta, and there is quite a contrast in the amount of litter in the white areas of the metro compared to the black areas of the metro. Just telling the truth.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:18 PM

3 posts, read 7,319 times
I lived most of my life in Western Pennsylvania.
I moved to Western North Carolina 4 years ago.
Hands down! western North Carolina looks more like a roadside garbage dump than most any of the places I've been to....... It's bad.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 23 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,135,718 times
The problem in Kentucky isn't litter - stuff thrown from cars - it's the utter filth of some peoples houses/ trailers. Some people have huge amounts of trash, even old cars and refrigerators everywhere in their yards. A fixture of driving in rural Kentucky is the pattern of beautifully maintained houses/ yards alternating with 'houses' right next door that are basically shacks surrounded by trash heaps.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:40 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,958,783 times
Cleanest:

#1: VT
#2: WV
#3: RI
#4: Upstate NY
#5: FL

Dirtiest:
#1: LA (the state) The NO and BR areas anyway
#2: Downstate NY (NYC/Nassau Co)
#3: NJ (Hudson/Essex/Union Counties)
#4: DC
#5: MD (Baltimore/DC areas)

This is just by experience.
I've heard the LA area and Atlanta area are pretty dirty when it comes to roadside liter.

Last edited by BPerone201; 05-24-2010 at 07:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.