U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:10 PM

6,515 posts, read 7,456,802 times

Advertisements

I was very suprised how dirty some of the towns and roadsides of PA were when I drove out there last year. I expected that state to be clean and nice, very dissapointed.
Other dirty states would be West Virginia, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts and RI.
Clean states would be the Dakotas, Wisconsin, Indiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Utah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,211 times
I just moved back east from the midwest and settled in Boston, Massachusetts. I was really in for a shock when I saw the amount of litter on the roadsides and streets not just in Boston, but in New England in general.

One of the problems is that people here just don't care. They are careless with their litter and have no qualms about tossing their trash wherever it is convenient. But, the main reason that Boston in particular is so filthy is the city government. It is big and corrupt and incompetent. They don't enforce ordinances, problems never get fixed, and all government contracts go to people the people in charge owe a favor or know. Inspectional Services, the department in charge of keeping the streets clean is right down the road from my neighborhood. They claim they that they are in my neighborhood all the time issuing fines. I think they are hanging out at the local pub.

I once watched a garbage collector dump a bag of dirty diapers onto the street and not bother to pick them up. He simply kicked them under a car where they eventually were swept into the storm drain when the street was swept. Trash is everywhere, it is unbelievable. People I know come to visit and the first think they comment on is how filthy this town is. All of my life I have associated the term "white trash" with people who live in trailer parks. Now I associate it with New Englanders.

Now, I have lived in NYC, and travel there frequently, and they don't have this problem. NYC is pretty clean. Why? Because New Yorkers are more sophisticated and courteous in general than your average Bostonian. If their is no trash bin they carry their trash with them and dispose of it when they find one. And should a New Yorker decide to put their trash out in anything other than a double black garbage bag or their recycling in a clear blue plastic bag, the city will impose a fine and they will get their money and it won't happen again. Plus, New York has cleaning crews and trash bins on every corner. In Boston you can walk for miles and never see a public trash bin, and if you do it is probably overflowing with garbage that hasn't been removed for a few days. People frequently throw

New York is a much bigger city than Boston. Why is it that the South Bronx is cleaner than my upscale neighborhood in tiny little Boston? Why can't these dummies from South Boston who run this town get it together? Because they are lazy, stupid, unimaginative, incompetent, unionized, and don't care because they don't have to. And, as I kick through the trash on my way home everyday I think about the fact that my taxes just went up to pay for their salaries. Next local election I am voting Republican.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:08 PM

6,515 posts, read 7,456,802 times
Cleanest states: Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Nebraska and Utah.

Dirtiest: New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Louisiana, West Virginia and ALL of southern New England.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:12 PM

491 posts, read 1,174,124 times
Arizona! So clean, at least here in Phoenix. It's one of the things that really impressed me with this area. It's very clean and well kept.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:30 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,459,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Really? Vegas is one of the cleanest I've been to!!!!!!!

CITIES LIST

CLEANEST
1. Boise, Idaho
2. Salt Lake City
3. Las Vegas
4. Raleigh

DIRTIEST

1. New York City
2. Philadelphia
3. Baltimore
4. Oakland, California (trash was everywhere, the BART subway system was nasty, smelling and litter all over the platforms and trains, streets had lots of litter and graffiti)

5. Newark
6. Atlantic City (stray cats live under the Boardwalk eating trash)
7. Miami
8. Washington, D.C.

Im really surprised you think Vegas is clean. I have to travel ALOT for my job and Im all over the country. Ive been to Vegas 14 times since 2001 and Ive always found Las Vegas to be the dirtiest city I have ever seen outside of New Orleans.

I was also in DC two weeks ago and I thought it was pretty clean. I really cant believe you found Las Vegas to be one of America's cleanest citites.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:02 AM

3,215 posts, read 4,710,850 times
I can't think of any great difference and I've traveled by car from here to the Midwest, Southwest and Pacific NW. There's trash in certain high population areas, but here in California there are always road crews with their orange vests (mostly people doing their required community service work) picking up trash on the freeways.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:53 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,396,020 times
A lot of people have mentioned NJ, outside of the Paterson-Linden Corridor(arguably the easternmost portion of the Rustbelt) the state is actually quite clean.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:44 PM

954 posts, read 1,121,400 times
I suspect it's less to do with the state, than what part of the state/city.

San Jose is clean, Santa Barbara, Monterey... Fresno on the other hand...

I suspect the relative affluence of the area one is in makes a huge difference.

Oh, and Las Vegas is an absolute dump, I suspect the fact that the strip is in an unincorporated county area might have something to do with it.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:52 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,445,032 times
Cleanest areas I've visited:

North central Florida from Orlando up to The Villages and Ocala.
Montana
The parts of Oklahoma City I saw (including downtown)
Phoenix metro
Just about anywhere in New England

Dirtiest:

Southern California
Seattle (freeways can be really, really trashy)

With state and federal budget cutbacks, look for the nation to become much dirtier as litter pickup becomes infrequent or non-existent (unless done by volunteers such as the adopt-a-highway program in Texas and similar programs in other states).

Old 02-16-2011, 10:00 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,152,889 times
The cleanest are usually cold areas. They've actually done studies on that, according to one of my tour guides in Minneapolis/St. Paul. It's not that people in colder cities are more civic minded, it's just that they don't want to roll down the windows to let in the frigid air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.