Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 05:37 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,399,432 times

Advertisements

Wisconsin is very very clean. Iowa is pretty clean too, we have some campaigns like the OP mentioned - our main one is "Keep Iowa Beautiful."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 05:47 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,124,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Well my grandparents live in North Vegas and have lived there even before it was a bad area. I've been going there for years I am always amazed at how dirty it is, even though it's such a clean city. I can understand if areas near The Strip are dirty because of all the tourists, foot traffic, and car traffic, but up in North Vegas it's just ridiculous.

Also, that supports my argument. Moderator cut: off topic I live in a nice area of LA by the beach and it is always clean. But, come holidays such as 4th of July or just really hot days when it's over 100* inland, all the Hispanics from South Central and East LA come over to the beach where it's cooler with 17, a couch, an oven, and a refrigerator in a little Honda Civic. Moderator cut: off topic It's disgusting to walk on some beaches for a few weeks after holidays and even the ocean is filled with plastic bags, styrofoam cups, cardboard boxes, condoms, etc. for a few days.
Well, catch them in the act and call the cops, its that simple. Offer proof of the littering and bust em. Let the pigs who trash this country pay for it.

Last edited by MB2; 03-03-2008 at 10:28 AM..

Old 03-02-2008, 06:08 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,124,059 times
Quote:
Do you have a lot of Hispanics in Chicago?
2nd highest population outside of L.A. Alot of them are really clean and respectful, but alot of them arent. And its those that dont give a crap that **** me off and will sooner or later feel the fire from law enforcement for being disrespectful. Quit leaving bottles of Corona/Tecate/Dos Equis/etc everywhere,. its disgusting. Pick up your crap, people! Most Americans are on the snapping point and have had ENOUGH of the littering and disrespect towards this country. Dont stir the bloody hornets nest!

Old 03-02-2008, 07:29 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,798,116 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: off topic
Although I can understand the "usually" statement, I live in what is usually considered to be one of the cleanest cities in the country (to the point of total sterility) and it's also one of the most Hispanic populated in a region known to have a heavy Hispanic population...

I mean, go down to Hialeah or Flagami in Miami and yes it's dirty and many Hispanics live there.

Anyway, I think Minnesota is really clean. So is Wisconsin. Dirtiest I have seen is probably Kentucky by far.

Last edited by MB2; 03-03-2008 at 10:32 AM..

Old 03-02-2008, 07:35 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,310,860 times
Oh my Gosh!!! I was recently driving back from Tennssee.....I was appalled!!!! I love Tennesse but not 1 -- not 2 but at least 3 times I was driving behind someone (happend in Kentucky too) and I saw people just THROW their food containers out the window...on the interstate!!! I mean, I swerved (not used to that sort of thing, had no idea what it was at first)

I drove with my mouth agape for at least 10 miles the third time I saw it. I mean GROSS have some pride!!!!!!!!!!

I remember that being common around illinois too about 20 years ago and then people got a clue and now I NEVER see that anymore. I mean, come on people how hard is it to hold onto your trash in the car until you stop somewhere?

and yes it certainly made sense why the side of the road is so littered in the south -- I saw it in action!

I do say, Illinois is pretty clean but Wisconsin is damn near sparkly (its those fines....)

Old 03-02-2008, 07:46 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,310,860 times
oh, just one more kinda funny impression I recently had.....I was at a Panera Bread in California and I was shocked when most people left their dishes and trays on their tables for staff to clean up (its clearly a self serve kind of place, where you put trays and dishes in their place when you leave). In Illinois, I go to Panera all the time and people are about 90% of the time good about this. I was at one in Wisconsin yesterday.....people had actually gone one step further and were stacking the bowls together and the plates, cups etc.

Interesting....

I like California though, but that was rather telling

Old 03-02-2008, 08:34 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,777,814 times
I have found the New England states to be really clean. You very rarely see litter on the side of the roadways and the parks are immaculate. I enjoy hiking and I noticed that it is extremely rare to see trash on a hike. In other areas that I've hiked, it is WAY too common to see beer cans, food wrappers, cigarette butts on a hiking trail. This has always amazed me, if someone enjoys hiking, you would think they would respect nature.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:36 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,409,875 times
I would like to remind members to go back to the original question/ topic, please!

Some statements are purely personal opinions on the verge of offending, and the one has nothing to do with the other.

So, tone it down, and back to the original topic, please.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:57 AM

9,333 posts, read 20,677,770 times
The cleanest state I've visited overall is Vermont. Without question. Also, upstate New York, north of Dutchess County, gets an honorable mention.

In contrast, El Paso TX is probably the dirtiest place I've visited, when it comes to roadside debris. I-10 is littered with trash on a daily basis.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:22 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,524,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
I haven't been everywhere, but in my experience...

Cleanest - Upstate NY, WY, and Chicago was really clean for a city (at least what I saw of it)

Dirtiest - NJ (I lived there for 30+ years. Try going for more than 100 feet on Rt 22 without seeing trash caught in bushes, carpeting the ground, etc. "Preserved" areas filled with cigarette butts, beer cans, etc.)
I've back-country camped in CO and UT and was appalled at how much trash that was left behind at campsites that we ended up cleaning up, burning, and carrying out for disposal.
And VA really upsets me...They clean up the highways pretty consistently, but I see lots of trash in what should be beautiful mountain areas...dishwashers or refrigerators dumped down hillsides off of mountain roads, etc.
I agree with you about NJ. I existed there more then 30 years and those old street cleaners have been defunct for the past 20. You are correct about Rt 22 and all the trash. Especially in the Union, Plainfield, and Greenbrook areas. Once I broke down and had to walk a great distance along side it. I found things with dates stamped on them that were years old. All kinds of trash stuck into bushes and fences.

They do seem to keep the toll roads clean, even if the NJT is one of the ugliest road side scenery drives on the face of the earth. Well the northern portion anyway.

Texas and Virginia is the cleanest. I may add Oregon to the clean list too. Maybe even Washington not counting Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.