U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:13 PM

2,294 posts, read 5,611,525 times

Advertisements

I've been in Salt Lake City for 3 years and hate it. My options are limited due to financial mistakes I've made. My only choice really is to go back to Albuquerque, New Mexico but I was not that happy there when I lived there before and am hesitant. Would anyone recommend Florida? It was suggested years ago and I never followed up. It woud be hypothetical. I don't have the money to go. Actually, I'm not really sure where I want to go because I've already gone certain places (like Texas where I was raised) that have exhausted their potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 09:59 AM

336 posts, read 1,393,066 times
Is it possible you are looking for a place to make you happy?

A lot of people think moving will make them happy.

I'm happy with my recent move because I expected so little.

My general feeling is that I can adapt to any place or climate.

# # #

Old 03-03-2008, 01:16 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,634,304 times
What are you searching for?

Old 03-03-2008, 05:56 AM

1,939 posts, read 5,609,808 times
I agree with the above. Don't move to make your life better because that is not a guarantee. You need to realize that when and if you move, life goes on. It's going to be tough no matter where you go. You need to be prepared to face the difficulties and know that while it's going to be a change, you can't expect things to be better because they may not be..

Old 03-03-2008, 01:54 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,297,128 times
yes, I'll have to agree with the others. It looks like you are trying to run from/to something and as long as you are unhappy with yourself, you will never be happy anywhere. What makes you happy? A geographical change is not going to make you happy as long as the person going there (you) is always unhappy......

Old 03-04-2008, 02:18 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,132,606 times
If you are not happy within yourself it won't matter where you go.

Questions: What type of climate are you looking for? Do you want to live in a city or rural? What kind of work do you do, as some areas are better than others for certain type jobs? I assume you plan on renting? Florida is a loooong way from SLC. I assume you'd be driving to move. Maybe you should consider a state around your state.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:58 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,376,402 times
OP, no matter where you live there are negatives, so if you're looking for a perfect place, there are none. To some a place sounds exotic but that doesn't make a person happy.
Could it be that being happy in your own skin, is something you have to work on no matter what, before you move away? I'm not belittling or trying to sound like a know it all, it's just an observation from when I was searching for a place to call home.
You can always move and grab your last paycheck and go and hope for the best, meaning getting a job and a place to stay quick. Especially if it's just you.
Florida is fine if you like the heat and the humidity.
Check out the State forums if you want to read something written by people who live in each state maybe. Good luck to you.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:59 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,592,693 times
You're looking for a city to be a fix-all for your life?

Old 03-11-2008, 10:20 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,823,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
I've been in Salt Lake City for 3 years and hate it. My options are limited due to financial mistakes I've made. My only choice really is to go back to Albuquerque, New Mexico but I was not that happy there when I lived there before and am hesitant. Would anyone recommend Florida? It was suggested years ago and I never followed up. It woud be hypothetical. I don't have the money to go. Actually, I'm not really sure where I want to go because I've already gone certain places (like Texas where I was raised) that have exhausted their potential.
I think you really need to grow up. Sorry.

One thing that I've found in life. People who don't like wherever they live won't be happy anywhere. What you're doing is associating your unhappy life with whatever locale you currently call home, when the truth is that your unhappiness follows you wherever you go. It's an old adage that you can't run away from your troubles. Instead, you pack it in the moving van along with your furniture, your books, and your CD collection. That's why it's called baggage.

You've salted your posting with clues that you have burned a lot of bridges. Bad financial decisions. The entire state of Texas exhausting its potential (pretty impressive for a state that big). What you're really telling us is that this move is just another in a long series of moves intended to escape the issues in your life.

Having been in more than one pickle in my life, may I make a suggestion? Before filling out a change of address card, sit down with a piece of paper and figure out what's making you so unhappy in life. Then figure out what in your personality causes you to make decisions that make you unhappy. Then change that aspect of your life. It's a lot easier than moving, believe me.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:29 PM
j1n

1,237 posts, read 4,152,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
hey catrinac...
I think I can kinda sympathize with what you are dealing with. But I gotta say...I don't know if FL is ever the answer for anything! I made that mistake 10 years ago...left the northeast looking for the good life, palm trees, lower cost of living, etc. What I found was "hot", a not-much-lower cost of living, a much lower wage, a lack of culture, and a lot of folks who were from "somewhere else"...or maybe they were on their way to "somewhere else". We wound up heading back north with next to nothing, and it took us about two years to recover from less than a year in FL.
So...what's wrong with SLC? I've been...beautiful scenery, pretty low cost of living, decent wages, jobs available, friendly folks, tons of outdoor activities readily available, etc. What don't you like about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or