U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best bike share?
Atlanta 0 0%
Austin 0 0%
Boston 0 0%
Chicago 11 25.58%
Denver 5 11.63%
Kansas City 0 0%
Los Angeles 1 2.33%
Miami/Miami Beach 1 2.33%
Minneapolis 4 9.30%
New York 4 9.30%
Philadelphia 3 6.98%
Pittsburgh 1 2.33%
Portland 3 6.98%
Salt Lake City 0 0%
San Diego 0 0%
San Francisco 0 0%
Seattle 0 0%
Washington DC 6 13.95%
Other 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 08:45 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,813,738 times

Advertisements

Miami's + Miami Beach's system is really robust and I use it most days. Miami's system benefits from the area being both warm year 'round and flat. It makes the system palatable for use most days. Citibike Miami has stations thoughtfully located at bus and Metromover stops as well. There are hundreds(?) of stations and thousands of bikes. In South Beach, where the system started as DecoBike several years ago, has the most dense station distribution.
Citi Bike Miami - Station Map
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 11:23 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,176,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Miami's + Miami Beach's system is really robust and I use it most days. Miami's system benefits from the area being both warm year 'round and flat. It makes the system palatable for use most days. Citibike Miami has stations thoughtfully located at bus and Metromover stops as well. There are hundreds(?) of stations and thousands of bikes. In South Beach, where the system started as DecoBike several years ago, has the most dense station distribution.
Citi Bike Miami - Station Map

I used the Miami Beach bike share quite extensively when there last year. The best bike share experience I have had, especially with the promenade and flat areas it was quite enjoyable and easy to use

Old 01-17-2017, 12:08 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,813,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I used the Miami Beach bike share quite extensively when there last year. The best bike share experience I have had, especially with the promenade and flat areas it was quite enjoyable and easy to use
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Miami often doesn't get the credit its due and it's good to hear you had a good experience. Miami's systems allows me to north to south from Bal Harbour down to Southpoint in South Beach. It gives me access across the bay via the Venetian Causeway to downtown, midtown and Brickell. It connects me to Metromover and Metrorail and really makes using a bike useful for accessing most of the urban areas in MiamiDade.

FWIW, Miami's system is available to residents for a monthly subscription of $15. Because of the salty sea air, the bikes have transitioned from being chain driven to cable driven to limit rusting.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:21 PM

3,512 posts, read 2,975,743 times
Here's an interesting article about helmets and bike share systems:

A case against bicycle helmet laws

Old 02-05-2017, 02:18 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,634,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Here's an interesting article about helmets and bike share systems:

A case against bicycle helmet laws
Not impressed. You shouldn't ride a bike without a helmet, any more than you shouldn't ride in a car without a seat belt. If that slightly deters biking, so be it.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:00 PM

5,233 posts, read 3,640,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
As an avid cyclist, I'm excited to see so many cities create bike shares across the country. There's no better way to explore a city when the weather is nice, imo. My question to the more frequent travelers on this forum is this: which city currently has the best bike share system, in your opinion?

Weigh in all factors such as quality of the bikes, coverage, pricing, etc. Not just the cities themselves. While some cities will inherently be more bikeable than others, due to density, street layout, bike lanes and other factors, that doesn't automatically mean their system is necessarily the best (translation: NYC doesn't get an automatic win here).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#North_America
Carrollton, Georgia, Bicyles on demand: City opens new bikeshare program | Local News | times-georgian.com
Carrollton also has a 16 mile paved bike/walking path circleing the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or