U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 07:13 AM

6 posts, read 3,251 times

Advertisements

We've been giving where we move next a lot of consideration. We have concluded that the most important single factor for us is finding like-minded people. We would love to know what states and areas have people that most fit the following description. Thank you in advance for your help!

People in [___] are mostly...

...family-friendly
...community-oriented
...open-minded
...relaxed
...slow paced
...welcoming
...peaceful
...considerate
...well-educated
...intelligent
...independent thinkers
...tolerant of different beliefs, including religious and political ones
...caring towards the environment
...health-conscious (for us meaning non-smoking, eating organic, being sober, etc more than being Iron Man triathletes)
...appreciative of art walks, farmer markets, parks, gardens, and similar aesthetic activities and focal points
...not concerned with national/party politics nor vanity/trendiness (whether material or otherwise).

I hope you can help us! Thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 08:08 AM

56,593 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Perhaps the Ithaca NY area. While the city of Ithaca has a "liberal" reputation, there is a mix of Democrat and Republican legislators in Tompkins County.

Also, the area offers the vast majority of the other criteria.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:52 AM

1,249 posts, read 822,311 times
I think your best bet would be a mid-sized city that leans towards the middle when it comes to politics.

I'd count out most large cities because most are not relaxed, slow paced, or considerate and many are heavy towards the liberal side.

I'd count out a lot of rural areas because many are not highly educated, do not value arts, etc and often very conservative.

I think an area like where I live, Rochester NY would be a good fit. Small enough to be welcoming, friendly, slow paced but large enough to be well educated, eco friendly, tolerant.

As far as politics, the city itself leans democrat but as you move out towards the suburbs you'll find that most people are middle-of-the-road and most follow a live let-live attitude.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:57 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,434,710 times
In California:

Ojai
Davis
Thousand Oaks
Santa Barbara

Old 01-16-2017, 11:35 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,107,211 times
Sounds like parts of Hawaii

Old 01-17-2017, 02:43 AM

63 posts, read 51,719 times
Sounds like you're describing New Orleans! Despite our rich food, many of us are pretty health-conscious and we have a lot of fresh produce stands, farmers markets and even juice/raw food bars. Locals don't ever hang out on Bourbon Street unless they are showing out-of-towers around.

The city also provides recycling bins, which we didn't even have in Los Angeles! Even though NOLA is in a "red" state, the city itself is very liberal and tolerant. There is an incredible sense of community here, which makes if feel like you're living in a small town even when you're in the heart of the city. I had to leave Los Angeles and move back here because I missed the small-town feel so much. We're definitely pretty slow-paced here, especially during the summer months when the air is as thick as honey.

I've lived all over the country and I think we have two of the most beautiful, spacious and peaceful parks here - Audubon Park and City Park. Local artists are very valued here and are always featured at our many food, cultural and music festivals (most of which are free). Come on down!

Last edited by southerngirl17; 01-17-2017 at 02:52 AM..

Old 01-17-2017, 02:46 AM

35,108 posts, read 40,230,180 times
OP: Everywhere has people who are as you listed and your experience in any area is going to be very different than everyone else. You may love it or you may hate it, either way can only be discovered once you have moved and been there for at least one year.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:15 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,124,669 times
Twin Cities definitely.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:00 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
Chapel Hill-Carrboro North Carolina. There may be some political innuendo to deal with (liberal) but it's much more of a live-let live environment that otherwise fully fulfills your other criteria.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:25 AM

8,725 posts, read 7,676,702 times
There is no perfect place of perfect people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or