U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 08:31 PM

6,185 posts, read 6,355,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Well colour me pink lol. You know, I've known Long Island was the island that is in New York that contains NYC and extends to Montauk but for some reason, I thought there was an actual town on the island called Long Island! My bad...

Well my point still stands.. New Jersey is an entire state and Long Island is just a section of NY state. (Which technically includes parts of NYC like Brooklyn) and considering Brooklyn does have a reputation for having lots of Italian-Americans, I guess Long Island does have that connotation as well, but if you're referring to greater Long Island... it kinda does as well? I never been to NY (and I feel goofy for thinking Long Island was an actual town name) but when I think of Long Island and Long Islanders, I think of upscale suburban homes and people with thick accents who are usually of Italian and Jewish (and some WASP) ancestry. Long Island makes me think of Connecticut kind of.

I guess you can thank Jersey Shore as well for the stereotype of Italian-American guidos in Jersey, though much of the people in that show are from New York. Go figure!

When I think of Italian-Americans I think of the Northeast in general but mostly New York (not just the city but upstate too), eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island and eastern Massachusetts. I'm a quarter Italian myself, I think I'm due a visit up there
There is a neighborhood in Queens called Long Island City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 10:24 PM

7,131 posts, read 9,898,127 times
Default Maybe you heard of Long Island City

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Well colour me pink lol. You know, I've known Long Island was the island that is in New York that contains NYC and extends to Montauk but for some reason, I thought there was an actual town on the island called Long Island! My bad...

Well my point still stands.. New Jersey is an entire state and Long Island is just a section of NY state. (Which technically includes parts of NYC like Brooklyn) and considering Brooklyn does have a reputation for having lots of Italian-Americans, I guess Long Island does have that connotation as well, but if you're referring to greater Long Island... it kinda does as well? I never been to NY (and I feel goofy for thinking Long Island was an actual town name) but when I think of Long Island and Long Islanders, I think of upscale suburban homes and people with thick accents who are usually of Italian and Jewish (and some WASP) ancestry. Long Island makes me think of Connecticut kind of.

I guess you can thank Jersey Shore as well for the stereotype of Italian-American guidos in Jersey, though much of the people in that show are from New York. Go figure!

When I think of Italian-Americans I think of the Northeast in general but mostly New York (not just the city but upstate too), eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island and eastern Massachusetts. I'm a quarter Italian myself, I think I'm due a visit up there
You are not too far off as you may think because there is a former city called Long Island City that is now part of Queens. Long Island City is the part of Queens that is right across the East River from Manhattan. LIC really was an actual incorporated city from after to the Civil War to about 1898 when it was annexed to NYC.

There are a number of museums and art galleries and even several movie studios in Long Island City so I am thinking that maybe you heard of LIC?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Court_Square (tallest skyscraper in Long Island City, in Queens, on Long Island and actually anywhere in New York State outside of Manhattan)

Old 01-22-2017, 07:00 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,748,793 times
Italian ancestry in NY area counties (20%+):

Staten Island NY 31.6%
Putnam NY 30.1%
Suffolk NY 26.8%
Ocean NJ 26.6%
Monmouth NJ 24.9%
Dutchess NY 23.1%
Morris NJ 22.7%
Hunterdon NJ 22.6%
Sussex NJ 22.5%
Nassau NY 21%

Old 01-23-2017, 11:07 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,538,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
-Lastly, CT and RI are New England states where Old Yankee culture still dominates the political and educational class, and Irish-American culture stills dominates the Catholic Church hierarchy (and always has). Italian-Americans have more political, economic and religious influence in NY and NJ.
Great post overall, but I'm not sure about this last part. I can't speak for Connecticut, but the political class in Rhode Island is pretty significantly Italian. The governor is Italian, one of the two members of the U.S. House of Representatives is Italian, the Speaker of the House is Italian. Providence had five consecutive Italian mayors (counting two non-consecutive Buddy Cianci terms) between 1975 and 2011, when the growing Hispanic population led to the election of the first Hispanic mayor. Since the election of the first Italian governor in 1945, seven of 15 governors have been Italian.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:59 PM

RI elected both the first Italian American senator and governor I believe. NY didn't elect either until the 1980s.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:37 PM

New Jersey also seems to be the destination for South Philadelphia Italians.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:02 PM

1,259 posts, read 695,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Italy > Manhattan > Brooklyn > Staten Island/NJ > Florida > Death

The life cycle of an Italian-American
This isn't too far off lol. I lived on Staten Island for 12 years and most people I met that weren't originally from there moved there from Brooklyn. And most people I knew that moved out of NY either went to NJ, PA, or FL. I feel like most people from the northeast go to Florida to die lol

Old 02-01-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I am somewhat familiar with Putnam, my parents bought a house there after I was out on my own, but I have spent a fair bit of time in Cold Spring, Beacon, and the edges of Fishkill mainly for shopping.

And I am surprised Putnam is so Italian. I would peg it as Irish and WASP before Italian, but maybe Fishkill and/or Mahopac is mostly Italian? My mother has a social group in Garrison and she tells of Germans and Scandinavians. But then again, that is a knitting club so the demographic may be skewed.

I always thought of Westchester as being really Italian, but then I grew up in the Mount Vernon/Yonkers/Eastchester area.
Maybe Putnam is the exurban extension of the North Bronx/southern Westchester Italian community?

Speaking of Westchester, yeah it's more stereotypically associated with WASP and Reform/secular Jewish "liberal elites" than Italians though it does have sizable Italian presence as well.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:49 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,538,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Speaking of Westchester, yeah it's more stereotypically associated with WASP and Reform/secular Jewish "liberal elites" than Italians though it does have sizable Italian presence as well.
Westchester is more Italian than Jewish, actually. It's about 21 percent Italian and 14 percent Jewish.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:55 PM

1,011 posts, read 638,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Great post overall, but I'm not sure about this last part. I can't speak for Connecticut, but the political class in Rhode Island is pretty significantly Italian. The governor is Italian, one of the two members of the U.S. House of Representatives is Italian, the Speaker of the House is Italian. Providence had five consecutive Italian mayors (counting two non-consecutive Buddy Cianci terms) between 1975 and 2011, when the growing Hispanic population led to the election of the first Hispanic mayor. Since the election of the first Italian governor in 1945, seven of 15 governors have been Italian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
RI elected both the first Italian American senator and governor I believe. NY didn't elect either until the 1980s.
I'm thinking more in terms of Lincoln Almond, Lincoln Chafee, Sheldon Whitehouse, Myrth York and a few other politicians who were very prominent and influential in RI politics during the first two decades of the 21st century. Even Don Carcierci is only half-Italian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or