Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 11:00 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times

Advertisements

Although CT and RI have higher percentages of Italian-Americans than NY or NJ, people tend to associate NY and NJ with Italians for the following reasons:

-First of all, the overall numbers of Italian-Americans are lower and CT and RI, as these states have much lower populations than either NY or NJ.
-Neither CT nor RI are very well-known states in the national psyche because they are not the center of media or pop culture, and both are rarely discussed or even mentioned in the national news media. Contrast that with NYC and adjacent areas of NJ.
-People in CT and RI don't travel or relocate to other areas of the country as much as people from NJ or NY, who you can pretty much find in any major metro area, especially in the Sun Belt.
-Most people from CT and extreme southwestern RI do not have the stereotypical "goombah" accent or persona typically associated with Italian-Americans that you often find in the NYC area; this creates some cognitive dissonance among Americans from areas with lower populations of Italian-Americans who may not know any in real life and perceive that ethnic group to talk and act similarly to how they are depicted on The Sopranos, Jersey Shore, etc.
-Most Italian-American people in New England are mixed with Irish, Polish or other historically Roman Catholic heritages.
-Italian communities in NY and NJ are both older and more recent at the same time; the ones in CT and RI were established between 1900-1920 after those in NY were already quite large. However, CT / RI never attracted Italian arrivals later in the 20th century or even 21st century, either, so more stagnant, homegrown populations overall (e.g., I'm 4th-5th generation Italian-American and mixed with Irish and English).
-Lastly, CT and RI are New England states where Old Yankee culture still dominates the political and educational class, and Irish-American culture stills dominates the Catholic Church hierarchy (and always has). Italian-Americans have more political, economic and religious influence in NY and NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 11:43 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
Sinatra, Frankie Valli, Connie Francis etc

Old 01-19-2017, 03:06 PM

266 posts, read 334,133 times
Nobody east of the Mississippi even thinks about long island. Long island is like the Ventura county of the east coast. "What the hell is Oxnard?"
People do talk about jersey from time to time tho.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:44 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flovis View Post
Nobody east of the Mississippi even thinks about long island. Long island is like the Ventura county of the east coast. "What the hell is Oxnard?"
Overall, Long Island and Ventura County are safe, beautiful, upscale suburban areas, not to mention head-and-shoulders above Clovis.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:03 PM

266 posts, read 334,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Overall, Long Island and Ventura County are safe, beautiful, upscale suburban areas, not to mention head-and-shoulders above Clovis.
Nice off topic zing. I can smell the butthurt 3k miles away.
Enjoy the ice storm coming your way.

Edit: disregard post if youre just an angry transplant living outside of the 'iconic' long island

Last edited by Flovis; 01-19-2017 at 05:18 PM..

Old 01-19-2017, 05:59 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I don't think the other poster meant that as an insult. "Long Island" is a fuzzy concept for a lot of people not familiar with metropolitan New York. Ventura County just simply isn't as high profile as OC, SD or LA counties, not a bad thing.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:17 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Long Island is not just one city. It's that big island at the bottom of NY State and has many different towns, cities, and beaches.

For those that may not be familiar, Brooklyn and Queens are on the island, but "Long Island" only refers to the rest of the island outside of BK and Queens.
Well colour me pink lol. You know, I've known Long Island was the island that is in New York that contains NYC and extends to Montauk but for some reason, I thought there was an actual town on the island called Long Island! My bad...

Well my point still stands.. New Jersey is an entire state and Long Island is just a section of NY state. (Which technically includes parts of NYC like Brooklyn) and considering Brooklyn does have a reputation for having lots of Italian-Americans, I guess Long Island does have that connotation as well, but if you're referring to greater Long Island... it kinda does as well? I never been to NY (and I feel goofy for thinking Long Island was an actual town name) but when I think of Long Island and Long Islanders, I think of upscale suburban homes and people with thick accents who are usually of Italian and Jewish (and some WASP) ancestry. Long Island makes me think of Connecticut kind of.

I guess you can thank Jersey Shore as well for the stereotype of Italian-American guidos in Jersey, though much of the people in that show are from New York. Go figure!

When I think of Italian-Americans I think of the Northeast in general but mostly New York (not just the city but upstate too), eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island and eastern Massachusetts. I'm a quarter Italian myself, I think I'm due a visit up there

Old 01-19-2017, 08:22 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
The Sopranos, Real Housewives of New Jersey, Jersey Shore etc. It seems that NJ is more associated with Italian Americans in popular culture than Long Island even though both are heavily Italian.
Long Island is not usually featured in pop culture. I cannot remember a movie or show that takes place on Long Island except Amityville Horror, and Long Island Medium. But yeh I think LI has more 100% ethnic Italians than NJ. NJ is mostly Euro Mutts.

edit, ok there is also the Great GAtsby on Long Island.

Last edited by NJ Brazen_3133; 01-19-2017 at 08:34 PM..

Old 01-19-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Maybe cuz NJ is an actual state and Long Island is just a city?
Long Island is made up of Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau, and Suffolk counties, but colloquially Nassau and Suffolk counties are usually what people mean when they talk about Long Island.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flovis View Post
I always thought of Long Island as the Orange County CA, of NYC metro. It has the wealth, and the beaches much like Orange county. North Jersey, and Westchester has the wealth, but no beaches. There is also an Orange County NY not too far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.