U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2017, 06:58 AM

656 posts, read 1,792,596 times

Advertisements

Having lived on both sides of the United States there is one particular funny thing I've noticed. Obviously this is just an opinion and there are pro's and con's to both sides.

In the Eastern United States things move much faster. People seem to simply get things at a much quicker pace and be in more of a rush. There are less formalities in the society.The flip side to this is that as soon as you meet many people in the Eastern US they automatically want to know your age, career, marital status, kids, house, etc.... Where are you on the racetrack?

In the Western United States it takes FOREVER and a day for people to get things done. The people are much more of a "I'll get to it" attitude. There are a lot more formalities to getting to know people. However in the Western US when you meet people they aren't really concerned w/ your age, career, marital status, kids, house, etc.... They are much more of a live and let live culture.

What has been your experience if you've lived a couple of years on both sides of the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 08:20 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,021,788 times
I've lived in New York City and now New Mexico. One of the things that most appealed originally was this relaxed pace here after the frenzy of New York. It was something to look forward to.

However once here, I noticed that there is downturn to this at the same time. The "mañana" attitude can be trying as things can take forever to get done. Once spoiled by the frenetic, but "get things done" pace of NY, it can be trying to get used to the pace here.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:32 PM

4,485 posts, read 2,668,709 times
I assume you mean the Mountain West, not the West Coast. The West Coast can be laid back, but much of it is analytical, schedule driven, etc.

The truth is each area has a lot of subcultures (based on profession etc.) and they act differently even while they live among each other.

One difference is that in the West (coast or otherwise), the rich guy in the meeting wears something comfortable, and the people assisting him might wear suits. And many of us regular office people wear jeans and golf shirts, and shave when the mood hits us.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:38 PM

338 posts, read 304,236 times
I'm originally from Erie, PA, briefly moved to Phoenix, AZ and have now returned home. While Erie is not the go-to example of an East Coast city, I could really feel the difference living out West.

Everything out there was kind of "go with the flow". Meanwhile in my small city of 100,000 I feel more "rush" and hustle and bustle. I don't think it has anything to do with the population at all.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:28 PM

1,192 posts, read 876,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I assume you mean the Mountain West, not the West Coast. The West Coast can be laid back, but much of it is analytical, schedule driven, etc.

The truth is each area has a lot of subcultures (based on profession etc.) and they act differently even while they live among each other.

One difference is that in the West (coast or otherwise), the rich guy in the meeting wears something comfortable, and the people assisting him might wear suits. And many of us regular office people wear jeans and golf shirts, and shave when the mood hits us.
Agreed, in my field attire as well as hierarchies are much more formal on the East Coast. Clients on the East Coast seem much more interested in pedigree(which Ivy did you go to?) and that you look the part (suit, tie, etc) than the West Coast, where pedigree isn't completely ignored, but clients are more interested in your portfolio of professional accomplishments than whether you went to an Ivy or look like you are from Central Casting. I still feel like we are productive and have a deadlines, even if we aren't wearing ties. I wonder if the E. Coast bias towards formality makes people with an East Coast mindset look at people not wearing a suit and assume that they are less productive or organized. Or maybe the OP isn't talking about LA/Bay Area/Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or