U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2017, 10:48 AM

3,063 posts, read 1,806,637 times

Advertisements

Baltimore=San Jose
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 10:48 AM

3,945 posts, read 2,218,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Philadelphia is not the capital of anything. Sac is much further inland.
Sorry I forgot that Philadelphia is not a capital city, it's just that it's such a historic city and was the nations capital at one time that it kind of slipped my mind, the capital of Pennsylvania is Harrisburg.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:50 AM

4,796 posts, read 3,232,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Baltimore=San Jose
One of the most expensive places to live in the country with a great economy is = to one of the most depressed, crime ridden ghettos in the country?

Old 01-18-2017, 10:52 AM

43 posts, read 22,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I grew up in Boston, have lived in DC and SF and spent plenty of time in NYC, Chicago and Philly and have been living in LA for 10 years. LA has more "culture" then any of those places. Sorry but Philly is not the defacto cultural capital of anything unless you consider cheesesteakes and Rocky to be culture. Philly has American History but only because it's old and on the east coast

That doesn't say much for Boston then either. Chowder and.. sail boats?

I guess top-ranked education and hospital institutions means nothing for Philly or Boston.. 1a/1b, eds and meds capitals is a fair assessment.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:01 AM

43 posts, read 22,486 times
It's amazing how much people discredit Philadelphia's cultural history and inventions. Mind-boggling really. Same goes for places like Chicago.

New York and Los Angeles are the only two places that exist I guess. America's history starts in 1960, its true..

Old 01-18-2017, 11:13 AM

3,512 posts, read 2,974,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFTW View Post
Which is funny, because Boston is the smallest metro in the BosWash megalopolis.
No, that would be Baltimore, if we're going by the "Big 5" measurement. And if we went by CSA (inflated but not worthless), that would actually be Philadelphia. To say nothing of smaller metros like Providence and Bridgeport.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:14 AM

4,370 posts, read 5,145,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Sorry I forgot that Philadelphia is not a capital city, it's just that it's such a historic city and was the nations capital at one time that it kind of slipped my mind, the capital of Pennsylvania is Harrisburg.

It was the first capitol of the USA. So while not a current capitol, it has a very "capitol" feel to it

Old 01-18-2017, 11:23 AM

4,370 posts, read 5,145,261 times
As much as San Francisco wants to be it, it is not the NYC of the West Coast. Now you can make your city look as much like NYC as possible, and you can still never be "NYC of the West Coast". Why? Because when you become the NYC of your region, it means you completly and utterly dominate your region in terms of culture, scale, namesake, etc. While San Francisco is definitely a very well known city. It's name doesn't carry the same weight as LA. And it doesn't even remotely have the same influence. While many people will say that many tech companies come from San Francisco (and this is really the Bay Area, not San Francisco itself), I don't think tech shapes culture like TV and movies does. And this is coming from a guy who works in tech. LA is iconic.

When you go to San Francisco it just feels like a city. Sort of like Philly. Yeah it has all the big city amenities and all. But it doesn't feel like you're apart of something big. LA definitely gives you that feel, even it's a sprawling mess. Even if it's not super dense like NYC. It just feel way more big league than San Francisco. Similar to how NYC feels more of a big league city next to Philly (which is a very large metro).

Old 01-18-2017, 11:23 AM

12,427 posts, read 11,929,235 times
I honestly thing Boston is more akin to San Francisco than Seattle. The architecture is similar in a lot of cases - dominated by wood frame housing on small lots. Both metros are very wealthy and well educated. And both have a large amount of municipal fragmentation, with a lot of dense areas not within the city proper.

I'd actually say Seattle is more similar to DC in a lot of ways. Both metros are growing like gangbusters, with tons of infill higher-density urbanism not just within the core, but in "suburbs" as well (e.g., Bellevue for Seattle, parts of Arlington along the Metro for DC). Basically they have a lot of traits of the Sun Belt, although they are not considered Sun Belt cities.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:39 PM

4,796 posts, read 3,232,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFTW View Post
That doesn't say much for Boston then either. Chowder and.. sail boats?

I guess top-ranked education and hospital institutions means nothing for Philly or Boston.. 1a/1b, eds and meds capitals is a fair assessment.
Chowder and championship sports teams
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or