U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 02:39 PM

1,366 posts, read 1,360,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
So southern California isn't a region? Also San Jose is a seperate metro from San Francisco (San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara).

This is just the latest example of how people have to append everything within San Francisco's orbit to it to try and pass it off as one unified thing to inflate it's importance. MSA/CSA wise, San Diego is not likely to catch San Francisco, but if we're just talking cities than SD already has nearly double the population in seven times the area, so I'm pretty sure SD will pass SF in every economic/wealth indicator soon.
Oh please. Your LA bias reeks to insane levels. After reading some of your posts you think by having endless suburbia from the western LA basin to Banning makes LA the dominant city in the West. Sorry but the Bay Area having half the population and producing nearly 2/3 of your GDP speaks volumes of the importance of each city/CSA.

You have a large port and Hollywood and we have financial and tech. Both cities are equally important to the world and both are just as well known. I guess the abundance of more suburban cities in the outlying area of central LA puts it over the top? .NOT!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 03:07 PM

266 posts, read 214,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
When you are proved wrong for the millionth time; you result to name calling for the millionth time.

Buffalo is nothing like Fresno, what an insult to Buffalo. Fresno does not have professional major league sports either. No to FresNO.
You said Albany was 4-5 times smaller than Sacramento in metro size.
Now you lie and say you were talking about city size. You got your cherry picking nickname for a REASON(you more than earned it)

I don't know why I bother with you, Ive had enough with delusional fanboys like you. Enjoy being the buttofjokes in the sacramento forum(I've had sacramentans message me and tell me they hate you). Cya forever

Last edited by Flovis; 01-20-2017 at 03:36 PM..

Old 01-20-2017, 03:50 PM

135 posts, read 94,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I'll take 9 championships in 15 years. And another coming at the end of the month and probably another Red Sox WS this year.
The Patriots have a good shot (it would be the beginning of next month, not the end of this month), but you're reaching quite a bit with the Red Sox. Pitchers and catchers haven't even reported yet and you're already crowning them WS champs, pump the brakes.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:19 PM

4,812 posts, read 4,994,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flovis View Post
You said Albany was 4-5 times smaller than Sacramento in metro size.
Now you lie and say you were talking about city size. You got your cherry picking nickname for a REASON(you more than earned it)

I don't know why I bother with you, Ive had enough with delusional fanboys like you. Enjoy being the buttofjokes in the sacramento forum(I've had sacramentans message me and tell me they hate you). Cya forever
Another east west equivalent - Sacramento and Orlando, both metros very similar in size.

You don't bother me in the slightest.

You know that I didn't lie; I presented both metro and city population numbers in different posts.

Well nobody has said they hated me to my face or otherwise. And a lot of people have said they like what I say.

People are gonna hate; its human nature. People are going to be biased, unfair, unreasonable, hypocritical. They will ignore facts if it doesn't fit their preconceived notions. I've never been that way on City-Data. Am I capable of it? of course, I'm human and flawed like anyone else. People hate Obama unfairly, and People hate President Trump unfairly; such is life get used to it.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:09 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,105,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Oh please. Your LA bias reeks to insane levels. After reading some of your posts you think by having endless suburbia from the western LA basin to Banning makes LA the dominant city in the West. Sorry but the Bay Area having half the population and producing nearly 2/3 of your GDP speaks volumes of the importance of each city/CSA.

You have a large port and Hollywood and we have financial and tech. Both cities are equally important to the world and both are just as well known. I guess the abundance of more suburban cities in the outlying area of central LA puts it over the top? .NOT!!
Now I really have no idea of what you're talking about. The entirety of Los Angeles county is an urbanized area, one with over 10 million people in it. How many random cities and other COUNTIES does San Francisco have to claim to arrive at that number?

Old 01-21-2017, 06:00 PM

4,853 posts, read 2,980,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jFug View Post
Las Vegas and Nashville? Both huge entertainment destination of their respective halves.
Never knew that about Nashville, but I doubt it's on LV's level. Always thought of Nashville as a country city.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:06 PM

339 posts, read 106,875 times
Boston and Seattle makes the most logical sense since both cities are on the northern edge of each coast, both are the endpoints of i-90, both are pretty dense, both are the birthplace of famous chain stories that sell coffe. (Boston Dunkin Dounuts and Seattle Starbucks). Both are very liberal, and well educated cites.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:32 AM

4,209 posts, read 2,827,100 times
This thread is hilarious...

A lot of cities don't compare to each other on either coast...

NY and LA are the only two cities with the depth and girth of amenities to each other, fair comparison...

SF and Boston are very good comps. So is Bay Area and DMV (DC-Baltimore metropolis). Oakland compares well to Newark or Baltimore...

San Diego and Miami are good...

Portland and Pittsburgh, Denver and Pittsburgh...

I like the Vegas-Nashville comp, I also think Vegas-Orlando...

It's hard to find the right comp for Seattle, Sacramento, San Jose, Fresno, Salt Lake, even Phoenix. And I'm intentionally leaving the coast to include inner western cities because the East Coast is longer, larger, and includes more cities, so this is just to try to even the number of places being compared...

Likewise, there is no comp for Richmond or Buffalo or Providence or Atlanta...

Maybe Sacramento and Charlotte, or Sacramento and Raleigh. If I had to pick an East Coast city most like Sac, it would probably be one of the Carolina cities. Largely suburban (though to be fair Sac is quite a bit more urban than both at its urban peak), leafy, overshadowed, capital city (with Raleigh), education, only 1-2 big league sports, similar airports...Sac could be a comp to either Carolina city depending on what you're looking at. So could San Jose...

Old 11-10-2018, 10:46 AM

4,853 posts, read 2,980,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
This topic may have been done before, and if so, please provide me with a link. But if not I wanted to talk about East Coast cities and their West Coast equivalents. For the purpose I'll also include "Western cities" that aren't exactly on the coast, but are still considered in the West like Vegas.

New York - LA: Pretty obvious here. They're both pretty much the premier cities on their respective coast, with populations that dwarf even their nearest competitors. Both are destinations for entertainment, both get a ton of transplants from around the world, and both are insanely diverse. They are the true international cities in the USA

Boston - Seattle: Both are top cities in a fairly small region. Boston being the biggest city in New England, and Seattle being the biggest city in the Pacific Northwest. Both have fairly educated populations, but tend not to be as diverse as some other major cities. Both also are known for somewhat insular people, and both sport a somewhat "busy but sleepy" feel.

Philadelphia - San Diego: This is a tough one, because there really is no "West Coast Philly". But the closest would be San Diego. Philly is a city full of East Coast-isms and San Diego is a city full of West Coast-isms. Both are very close to premier cities in their regions. Philly being just under a 2 hour drive to NYC and San Diego being just a 2 hour drive to LA. Both also tend to get overshadowed by the their neighboring bigger city as well. Finally both cities resemble their larger city neigbhor. Philly looking probably the closest any city could look to NYC and San Diego looking very similar to LA.

Pittsburgh - Portland: Hard one, as I've never been to either city. But from what I hear, both cities are pretty much mid sized cities. Both have a charming local population with a lot of local culture that can't be found elsewhere. Neither city appear to even be trying to compete with large cities in their regions, and seem to be defined fairly uniquely.
Very good. San Francisco = DC?

Old 11-10-2018, 02:20 PM

7,730 posts, read 6,139,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This thread is hilarious...

A lot of cities don't compare to each other on either coast...

NY and LA are the only two cities with the depth and girth of amenities to each other, fair comparison...

SF and Boston are very good comps. So is Bay Area and DMV (DC-Baltimore metropolis). Oakland compares well to Newark or Baltimore...

San Diego and Miami are good...

Portland and Pittsburgh, Denver and Pittsburgh...

I like the Vegas-Nashville comp, I also think Vegas-Orlando...

It's hard to find the right comp for Seattle, Sacramento, San Jose, Fresno, Salt Lake, even Phoenix. And I'm intentionally leaving the coast to include inner western cities because the East Coast is longer, larger, and includes more cities, so this is just to try to even the number of places being compared...

Likewise, there is no comp for Richmond or Buffalo or Providence or Atlanta...

Maybe Sacramento and Charlotte, or Sacramento and Raleigh. If I had to pick an East Coast city most like Sac, it would probably be one of the Carolina cities. Largely suburban (though to be fair Sac is quite a bit more urban than both at its urban peak), leafy, overshadowed, capital city (with Raleigh), education, only 1-2 big league sports, similar airports...Sac could be a comp to either Carolina city depending on what you're looking at. So could San Jose...
Baltimore is NOT part of the DMV

Baltimore imo would be Portland a rather large metro overshadowed by the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or