U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-10-2018, 06:03 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
354 posts, read 108,358 times
Reputation: 335

Advertisements

Miami and San Diego are good comparisons (similar to why Seattle and Boston is good). Both are the southern end of each coast, high Hispanic populations, direct access to Latan-America, famous for its beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-10-2018, 06:22 PM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,978 posts, read 3,460,039 times
Reputation: 2450
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
How bout a ranking of them all combined rather than a side by side comparison.

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. SF/DC take your pick
4. DC/SF take your pick
5. Boston
6. Philadelphia
7. Seattle
8. Portland.
9. Baltimore
10. San Diego

That puts all but one of the Bos-Wash cities in the top 6, with the bottom 4 being all pretty close.

My inclusion of San Jose is as a part of SF.
I'm going to re-rank my top 10 both coasts and separate SF/SJ:

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. DC
4. San Francisco/Oakland
5. Boston
6. Philadelphia
7. Seattle
8. San Jose
9. San Diego
10. Portland
11. Baltimore

This of course is not counting the rest of the East Coast south of DC, in which case some cities would get bumped.

With that said I'd say regarding most similar you'd have to say:

NY-LA
Seattle-Boston
DC-SF
Portland (Nike state)- Baltimore (Under Armour)

All make sense, I really don't think that Philly has an equivalent, but for the sake of argument we could compare to San Diego. If we're expanding to the whole East Coast however, Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2018, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Seattle WA, USA
3,944 posts, read 2,217,055 times
Reputation: 2611
It might help to know how the cities rank amongst each other.

GDP
East Coast | West Coast
1. New York City: $1,717,712 | Los Angeles: $1,043,735
2. Washington: $529,990 | San Francisco: $500,710
3. Philadelphia: $444,975 | Seattle: $356,572
4. Boston: $438,684 | San Jose: $275,293
5. Atlanta: $385,542 | Phoenix: $242,951
6. Miami: $344,882 | San Diego: $231,845
7. Baltimore: $192,178 | Portland: $171,772
8. Charlotte: $174,029 | Riverside: $157,931
9. Pittsburgh: $147,367 | Sacramento: $126,352
10. Tampa: $146,349 | Las Vegas: $112,288
11. Orlando: $132,448 | Honolulu: $67,495

*I included Nevada and Arizona as west coast so that there would be more major cities, and Las Vegas and Phoenix are not super far away form the ocean anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2018, 08:40 PM
 
Location: SoCal
3,770 posts, read 2,558,872 times
Reputation: 2982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Sacramento is the DC of the west coast. California, the 9th largest economy in the world, and Sacramento is the Capitol of it. Sacramento has a lot of white collar gov't middle to upper income salaries.

Sacramento sits next to two rivers with the Delta/Wetlands just south of it. Sacramento is a west coast city, but not actually on the coast; DC is an east coast city, but not on the actual coast.

Philly-Baltimore-DC similar to a SF-Oakland-Sacramento.

Sacramento is the Baltimore of the west coast, similar size city and metro, both less glamorous of their coastal sisters and brothers. Both have lots of history, pride, and character.

Oakland is the Baltimore of the west coast, similar size city, both very african-american, both have a lot of rough looking neighborhoods, both less glamorous of their coastal sisters and brothers.
California is the 5th largest economy in the world right ahead of France, and the U.K. California also produces 2/3rd's of the countries fruits and vegetables, and exports 23% of it overseas this is often overlooked as California is important for many things, but this IMO is the most important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2019, 08:54 AM
 
1 posts, read 245 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
California is the 5th largest economy in the world right ahead of France, and the U.K. California also produces 2/3rd's of the countries fruits and vegetables, and exports 23% of it overseas this is often overlooked as California is important for many things, but this IMO is the most important.
The bay is also the world capital of Technology. I would compare SF to Manhattan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2019, 10:06 AM
 
9,382 posts, read 9,541,753 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieast View Post
The bay is also the world capital of Technology. I would compare SF to Manhattan
SF Bay Area is like the Chesapeake Bay Area. Baltimore-Washington is very compatablr to SF-San Jose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2019, 02:52 PM
 
6,968 posts, read 14,095,559 times
Reputation: 4553
LA - NYC (for obvious reasons)
SD - Philly (smaller brother to the South that gets overlooked and misunderstood a lot)
SF - DC (second most important city on either coast)
Oakland - Baltimore (rougher neighbor in the same region)
Las Vegas - Miami (party capitals of their respective coast and a popular cheaper resettlement option for LA and NYC respectively)
Seattle - Boston (smaller, more compact educated tech hubs)
Phoenix - Atlanta (large Sunbelt suburban resettlement city for LA and NYC respectively)
Denver - Raleigh (liberal and educated resettlement city for LA and NYC respectively that was previously in a red state and is turning blue...or already blue in the case of CO and NC will take a bit longer)
Boulder - Ithaca (cold city further north that attracts a lot of students from LA and NYC respectively)
Aspen - Stowe (never been to Stowe, but from what I understand it's popular winter destination for the east coast wealthy)
Santa Fe - Asheville NC (small artsy mountain town)
Orange County CA - NJ (diverse dense suburban commuter zone)

The Portland OR - Pittsburgh doesn't work, but idk if anything would work for those two besides each other. Closest thing I got is inland river city with lots of hills outside downtown.

If we can consider the following as west/coast:
Honolulu - New Orleans (both feel like another country, though both are waaaayyyyy different in almost every way...but neither really belongs in the US that much)
Alaska - Maine (super outdoorsy and cold and northern)

Obviously some of these are stretches and play off each other in a snowballing fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2019, 10:58 AM
 
Location: The City
22,331 posts, read 32,161,575 times
Reputation: 7738
^^^ that was one of the better ones I saw in this thread with the rationale


you could probably throw in some places on the interior of PA with some interior cities in CA (farming, poorer, drug infested)




also maybe Eureka with Delmarva ( a few peaks and a lot of strange and places felt left in the past) Eureka is one odd place as is a lot of Delmarva
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2019, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Point Loma, San Diego, CA
1,319 posts, read 1,108,102 times
Reputation: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
LA - NYC (for obvious reasons)
SD - Philly (smaller brother to the South that gets overlooked and misunderstood a lot)
SF - DC (second most important city on either coast)
Oakland - Baltimore (rougher neighbor in the same region)
Las Vegas - Miami (party capitals of their respective coast and a popular cheaper resettlement option for LA and NYC respectively)
Seattle - Boston (smaller, more compact educated tech hubs)
Phoenix - Atlanta (large Sunbelt suburban resettlement city for LA and NYC respectively)
Denver - Raleigh (liberal and educated resettlement city for LA and NYC respectively that was previously in a red state and is turning blue...or already blue in the case of CO and NC will take a bit longer)
Boulder - Ithaca (cold city further north that attracts a lot of students from LA and NYC respectively)
Aspen - Stowe (never been to Stowe, but from what I understand it's popular winter destination for the east coast wealthy)
Santa Fe - Asheville NC (small artsy mountain town)
Orange County CA - NJ (diverse dense suburban commuter zone)

The Portland OR - Pittsburgh doesn't work, but idk if anything would work for those two besides each other. Closest thing I got is inland river city with lots of hills outside downtown.

If we can consider the following as west/coast:
Honolulu - New Orleans (both feel like another country, though both are waaaayyyyy different in almost every way...but neither really belongs in the US that much)
Alaska - Maine (super outdoorsy and cold and northern)

Obviously some of these are stretches and play off each other in a snowballing fashion.
These are pretty good-if you count San Diego/Tijuana as a metro (and I'm not sure why you wouldn't), the Philly analogy becomes much stronger. I"ve never been to Virginia, but I"m sensing there could be a Long Beach comparison with one of their cities outside of the beltway.

A big overlooked metro on the west coast is Sacramento. Also don't forget the inland empire-maybe all the cities between NY and BOS that don't fit into either's metro could be the east coast inland empire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2019, 12:22 AM
 
445 posts, read 151,265 times
Reputation: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flovis View Post
San Diego wants to be the west coast Miami.
San Diegans absolutely do not want to be Miami. It has low paying jobs, high crime rates, low education, shallow culture, and excessive coastal development with limited open space. Out of fear of becoming Miami, San Diegans vehemently oppose coastal high-rise development (height limit is 30ft). Miami is literally the poster child of what San Diego doesn't want to be.

San Diego wants to be the tropical/temperate version of Seattle, Vancouver, or Boston. High paying jobs, good universities, and large tech scene, but with a better climate that can also attract decent tourism.

Miami wants to be the tropical New York. I assure you that is the opposite of San Diegans' image of their city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top