Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 04:15 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times

Advertisements

This topic may have been done before, and if so, please provide me with a link. But if not I wanted to talk about East Coast cities and their West Coast equivalents. For the purpose I'll also include "Western cities" that aren't exactly on the coast, but are still considered in the West like Vegas.

New York - LA: Pretty obvious here. They're both pretty much the premier cities on their respective coast, with populations that dwarf even their nearest competitors. Both are destinations for entertainment, both get a ton of transplants from around the world, and both are insanely diverse. They are the true international cities in the USA

Boston - Seattle: Both are top cities in a fairly small region. Boston being the biggest city in New England, and Seattle being the biggest city in the Pacific Northwest. Both have fairly educated populations, but tend not to be as diverse as some other major cities. Both also are known for somewhat insular people, and both sport a somewhat "busy but sleepy" feel.

Philadelphia - San Diego: This is a tough one, because there really is no "West Coast Philly". But the closest would be San Diego. Philly is a city full of East Coast-isms and San Diego is a city full of West Coast-isms. Both are very close to premier cities in their regions. Philly being just under a 2 hour drive to NYC and San Diego being just a 2 hour drive to LA. Both also tend to get overshadowed by the their neighboring bigger city as well. Finally both cities resemble their larger city neigbhor. Philly looking probably the closest any city could look to NYC and San Diego looking very similar to LA.

Pittsburgh - Portland: Hard one, as I've never been to either city. But from what I hear, both cities are pretty much mid sized cities. Both have a charming local population with a lot of local culture that can't be found elsewhere. Neither city appear to even be trying to compete with large cities in their regions, and seem to be defined fairly uniquely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 05:04 PM

266 posts, read 334,133 times
Fresno = buffalo

If Fresno urbanizes then it'll turn into a philly type city. Powerful but always overlooked by the coastal elites.
Something they have in common already(love of fighting): Philly is known for its boxers, while Fresno is known for its wrestlers.

San Diego is too glitzy and laid back to be philly. San Diego wants to be the west coast Miami.

Last edited by Flovis; 01-17-2017 at 05:25 PM..

Old 01-17-2017, 06:35 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
This topic may have been done before, and if so, please provide me with a link. But if not I wanted to talk about East Coast cities and their West Coast equivalents. For the purpose I'll also include "Western cities" that aren't exactly on the coast, but are still considered in the West like Vegas.

New York - LA: Pretty obvious here. They're both pretty much the premier cities on their respective coast, with populations that dwarf even their nearest competitors. Both are destinations for entertainment, both get a ton of transplants from around the world, and both are insanely diverse. They are the true international cities in the USA

Boston - Seattle: Both are top cities in a fairly small region. Boston being the biggest city in New England, and Seattle being the biggest city in the Pacific Northwest. Both have fairly educated populations, but tend not to be as diverse as some other major cities. Both also are known for somewhat insular people, and both sport a somewhat "busy but sleepy" feel.

Philadelphia - San Diego: This is a tough one, because there really is no "West Coast Philly". But the closest would be San Diego. Philly is a city full of East Coast-isms and San Diego is a city full of West Coast-isms. Both are very close to premier cities in their regions. Philly being just under a 2 hour drive to NYC and San Diego being just a 2 hour drive to LA. Both also tend to get overshadowed by the their neighboring bigger city as well. Finally both cities resemble their larger city neigbhor. Philly looking probably the closest any city could look to NYC and San Diego looking very similar to LA.

Pittsburgh - Portland: Hard one, as I've never been to either city. But from what I hear, both cities are pretty much mid sized cities. Both have a charming local population with a lot of local culture that can't be found elsewhere. Neither city appear to even be trying to compete with large cities in their regions, and seem to be defined fairly uniquely.
San Francisco is the more obvious comparison to NYC. Two highest cost of livings in the country, two highest housing markets, both compact/dense cities with public transit etc. LA is nothing like NYC.

Also don't see any SD-Philly comparisons.

Portland OR is also closer in every way to it's sister city Portland ME then it is to Pittsburgh.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:41 PM

486 posts, read 601,274 times
Las Vegas and Nashville? Both huge entertainment destination of their respective halves.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:44 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post

If you accept the premise that Los Angeles is the west coast New York, then yes, it makes sense that San Diego would be the west coast Philadelphia. That's pretty much the only context it makes sense in.

I knew we'd get people to say that San Francisco is actually the west coast equivalent to New York....it's not. Los Angeles is, and I'll lay the whole thing to rest right here: you could cut out a small patch of central Los Angeles from the river to La Brea Avenue and have the same population and density of the entire city of San Francisco. San Francisco has to lump in other entire cities and counties to arrive at a NYC comparison....how is that fair? San Francisco compares much more evenly to Boston or D.C.

As far as COL, have you seen how much a one person condo is going for in places like Venice?

Pittsburgh is far more unique than Portland, is denser, and has considerably more amenities. I think Pittsburgh is closer to Seattle than Portland.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:54 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
Philly is probably more similar to Oakland or Richmond to be honest. I understand the context you're saying it in but still can't justify the comparison to San Diego.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:18 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times
Wouldn't Philly be more like Sacramento? They are both inland, historical, near a larger major city and are capital cities. Of course philly is much larger than Sacramento. SF is probably the Boston of the west, it's a major port city with a lot of universities that contribute greatly in the economy. Seattle might also be considered as a Boston equivalent and Sacramento might also be considered a D.C. Equivalent.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:20 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Wouldn't Philly be more like Sacramento? They are both inland, historical, near a larger major city and are capital cities. Of course philly is much larger than Sacramento. SF is probably the Boston of the west, it's a major port city with a lot of universities that contribute greatly in the economy. Seattle might also be considered as a Boston equivalent and Sacramento might also be considered a D.C. Equivalent.
Philadelphia is not the capital of anything. Sac is much further inland.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:24 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post

Boston- Sea

Washington- SF

NYC-LA

Miami- SD

Baltimore - Oakland

Old 01-17-2017, 08:27 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Philadelphia is not the capital of anything.
And the West Coast has no equivalent for Philadephia. If you put Philadlephia on the west coast it becomes its defacto cultural capital.

Oh So this is what a city is supposed to look like appeal to West Toasters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.