U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which conference will win the battle for the East Coast?
ACC 24 66.67%
B1G 12 33.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 02:53 PM

21,281 posts, read 30,575,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The ACC is a historically Southern conference that has recently been making inroads into the Northeast. The B1G has primarily been a Midwestern conference that has recently been making inroads into the BosWash corridor. Both conferences have a substantial presence in the 4/5 BosWash media markets.

ACC

Virginia
Pitt (Philly, kinda?)
Syracuse
Boston College
Notre Dame (tons of alums in NYC)

B1G

Maryland
Penn State
Rutgers

The B1G doesn't have much of a footprint in New England. But Penn State football is bigger than any sport at Boston College, Rutgers or Maryland with a fanbase extending into the Jersey suburbs of both Philadelphia and NYC. And even though Rutgers does not have the tradition and success of a program like Notre Dame, it does have a crapload of alums in the largest media market in the United States. With all this being said, which conference has the bigger presence on the East Coast, and which is poised to gain more market share over the course of time?
Assuming of course the Boston-Washington corridor is the center of the NCAA universe. Of course of which it's not. With UNC, Florida State, U of Miami, Georgia Tech, Duke, North Carolina State and Virginia Tech plus those you listed, the ACC crushes the Big Ten on the actual "East Coast".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 03:56 PM

1,851 posts, read 1,493,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Assuming of course the Boston-Washington corridor is the center of the NCAA universe. Of course of which it's not. With UNC, Florida State, U of Miami, Georgia Tech, Duke, North Carolina State and Virginia Tech plus those you listed, the ACC crushes the Big Ten on the actual "East Coast".
Yes, the ACC has a stronger showing on the east coast, but the Big Ten has made inroads. It started with Penn State and has grown to include Maryland and Rutgers. Rutgers doesn't add anything athletically (talking men's basketball and football), but they do grant the Big Ten access to the largest metro in the country.

If the Big Ten expands to sixteen and Delaney gets his way, Virginia, UNC, Georgia Tech, or Notre Dame are the four that would be targeted. ND is probably the easiest of the four to poach, but I could see Virginia being okay jumping ship as well. As KidPhilly said, money talks.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:15 PM

3,815 posts, read 2,617,073 times
B1G can suck it. ACC dominates! You guys can have Notre Dame though...they just don't fit. And they're annoying....and clearly more in B1G territory than ACC territory.

I am in the minority in NC but I love the fact that ACC is spreading north. Syracuse and Pitt were great additions. Sucks that Maryland leaving left a "hole" in the ACC map that otherwise stretches from MA to FL contiguously.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:41 PM

3,792 posts, read 3,040,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
How can you forget Michigan's Jabril Peppers(East Orange NJ and Paramus Catholic)?

Penn State always got their share of NYC and D.C. Area players. Michigan would occasionally get some Basketball and Football players from the Boston area and in fact, its all time leading rusher and second all time leading receiver are from the Syracuse area. Ohio State would get an occasional NYer for Football as well(i.e.- the late Will Smith from Utica's Proctor HS).
Very good point. Well, I'm a Buckeye so I guess that les to the selective memory : P
All of that is true, but I feel like that has accelerated more in recent years. Part of it is just nationalization of the game and part of it is having recruiters like Harbaugh and Meyer, but don't Rutgers and Maryland at least contribute some?

Old 01-22-2017, 07:11 PM

1,593 posts, read 843,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
B1G can suck it. ACC dominates! You guys can have Notre Dame though...they just don't fit. And they're annoying....and clearly more in B1G territory than ACC territory.

I am in the minority in NC but I love the fact that ACC is spreading north. Syracuse and Pitt were great additions. Sucks that Maryland leaving left a "hole" in the ACC map that otherwise stretches from MA to FL contiguously.
They're contiguous states but does the ACC can't really count Philly as ACC territory because the have a school 4 hours away that happens to be in the same state.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:40 PM

9,423 posts, read 9,607,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Yes, but since adding the NE teams, B10 revenue and ratings have increased recently, esp. in those markets, and it has paid big dividends in recruiting (Curtis Samuel, Kareem Walker, etc.). My point is that OSU, UM, and PSU will increasingly dominate at pulling kids from DC, NY etc in upcoming years and adding Rutgers/Maryland seems to have spurred that along.
actually the difference is that midwestern Schools are in small cities, Columbus, Lansing, Ann Arbor, South Bend etc. Which are big enough to foster a non-student fan base but small enough for college sports to dominate.
There are more schools in the Northeast in the middle of nowhere, UMASS-Amherst, URI, UCONN, Cornell, UNH, are all in the middle of nowhere, where there basically isn't anyone who isn't affiliated with the school in that town making a "civilian" fanbase hard to come by, making that town a bit of a bubble. Or Conversely, the schools are in a major city, BC, BU, Columbia, Temple etc. are in cities big enough that there are people available for being a fan, but the cities are for the most part too large for College Sports to have an impact on the sports scene.
If UMASS were in Worcester or UNH in Manchester then you might see similar followings of those schools, but they are out in the hinterlands.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:26 PM

3,815 posts, read 2,617,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
They're contiguous states but does the ACC can't really count Philly as ACC territory because the have a school 4 hours away that happens to be in the same state.
Who said anything about Philly being ACC territory?

Old 01-23-2017, 06:24 AM

21,281 posts, read 30,575,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Yes, the ACC has a stronger showing on the east coast, but the Big Ten has made inroads. It started with Penn State and has grown to include Maryland and Rutgers. Rutgers doesn't add anything athletically (talking men's basketball and football), but they do grant the Big Ten access to the largest metro in the country.

If the Big Ten expands to sixteen and Delaney gets his way, Virginia, UNC, Georgia Tech, or Notre Dame are the four that would be targeted. ND is probably the easiest of the four to poach, but I could see Virginia being okay jumping ship as well. As KidPhilly said, money talks.
If the Big Ten is trying to catch up, it won't happen on the east coast. Penn State in terms of geography isn't east coast either and never has been. Rutgers was a refugee from the Big East Conference when they dropped all football programs and doesn't have the following in terms of alumni and local support other ACC schools have. Maryland was also something of an outsider in the ACC anyway in that besides basketball they didn't bring much to the table in terms of competitiveness or fans/alumni. There is no way in hell UVA dumps tradition and leaves the ACC as that's very much what that is university about if one knew anything about the school/program. The sames goes for Georgia Tech and UNC where rivalries would be lost not to mention perceptions of academic credibility. Notre Dame on the other hand is all about money obviously (their NBC contract for instance) with zero allegiance exhibited over the years. if the Big Ten hopes to expand and keep up with the ACC and SEC expansion, beyond Notre Dame schools like West Virginia from the Big 12 (they don't really fit that conference in terms of geography) or Temple from the AAC make the most sense.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:52 AM

3,470 posts, read 3,171,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post

No way in hell UNC ever joins the B1G even if the ACC dissolves which is fantastical thinking. The ACC is stable and about to make as much money as the SEC and B1G. None of the VA or UNC schools are leaving the ACC, period. MD left because the new president and AD (B1G alums) never felt MD was part of ACC country and sought the B1G. Money issues was their excuse to leave. Most of the MD alumni despised the move and still seems rather knee jerk and nonproductive to this point.

One of the reasons several board members and others cosigned the move was due to new basketball schedule that only scheduled one game against Duke and UNC each year, they felt slighted and pissed on. MDs only "real" rivalries are UNC and Duke basketball regardless of geographic locations.

The only reason some kids are going to Michigan and OSU from the east coast are the coaches, Harbaugh and Meyers...kids want to play for winners and not sure if that pipeline stays open if Va, UVA, Cuse, BC and others pick up the pace to compete with Penn State.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:48 PM

3,792 posts, read 3,040,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
actually the difference is that midwestern Schools are in small cities, Columbus, Lansing, Ann Arbor, South Bend etc. Which are big enough to foster a non-student fan base but small enough for college sports to dominate.
There are more schools in the Northeast in the middle of nowhere, UMASS-Amherst, URI, UCONN, Cornell, UNH, are all in the middle of nowhere, where there basically isn't anyone who isn't affiliated with the school in that town making a "civilian" fanbase hard to come by, making that town a bit of a bubble. Or Conversely, the schools are in a major city, BC, BU, Columbia, Temple etc. are in cities big enough that there are people available for being a fan, but the cities are for the most part too large for College Sports to have an impact on the sports scene.
If UMASS were in Worcester or UNH in Manchester then you might see similar followings of those schools, but they are out in the hinterlands.
I see what you're saying, but at the same time, I think that state population metrics would keep a UNH or URI at sort of a glass ceiling as opposed to an OSU or UM. Also, I think college sports have just generally taken on a higher priority in the Midwest and South compared to the northeast, because there are examples like you mentioned in the B1G and SEC also (Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Penn State, Indiana, etc. that have captured their state's followings and imagination because of winning, even UCONN regularly packs it to capacity for bball). There are I think three other things that contributed to that though. One is that the more parochial nature of NE caused people to root for more teams like that (consider that Duke BBall and Notre Dame FBall have their biggest followings in the NYC market). Also, while large, state public schools were establishing their winning programs in the early days of CFB, the teams in the east that were successful were Yale, Harvard, etc. Now, after they kind of lowered football/athletics as a priority, the public schools in NE had a chance, but I suppose were already to some degree behind the 8 ball on building/financing their athletic departments to be able to compete with the Midwestern powers. Lastly, so much of the NE is urban, and the urban centers always have some type of pro sport happening, and generally they are also more successful than anywhere else too. It is also quite difficult for someone in the city to drive out to say go see Rutgers, Maryland, etc. Why not just stay in town and watch pros? However, I ultimately still think those teams do have potential, with all the population around them and all. I may be in the minority on this, but I think Rutgers and Maryland could have a chance to grow their bases tremendously if once-twice a year (or even full time), they played home games at say Yankee Stadium/RFK Stadium/FedEx Field/MetLife Stadium. But, ultimately, winning/recruiting/money talk loudest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or