U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which conference will win the battle for the East Coast?
ACC 24 66.67%
B1G 12 33.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 05:01 PM

7,715 posts, read 4,060,465 times

Advertisements

according to WIkipedia, most Duke fans don't view Maryland as a rival. they had a source for this assertion linked.

i think it is safe to say Duke's primary rivals are UNC, Wake and NC State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 06:26 PM

3,466 posts, read 3,164,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i view a rivalry is a team that you have played regularly but was not scheduled by a conference. i think Maryland would probably play UVA regularly even if UVA had not been in the ACC. saying Maryland is a bball school means you only look at recent history. Maryland is trying to be good in football even if the results aren't there. if you say VCU is a basketball school, i wouldn't disagree with b/c it doesn't have football.

Maryland has the 3rd most ACC championships in football. most intense rivalaries are based on proximity and going up against the colleges for recruits.

Maybe U of Maryland will beef up their football program to make it a real rivalry against Penn State and vice versa for Penn State in BB. I actually attended the Univ of MD for two years prior to transferring back home to NC in the 80s. You can read all the Wiki, etc but when I was there it was about beating Tobacco Road schools in BB..anything for that matter. Beating Penn State, WV and Navy...ok, cool.

Penn State and Maryland students reflect on potential of a football rivalry | Football | collegian.psu.edu

"At the moment, Rogers acknowledges that the rivalry isn’t very substantial and doesn’t compare to the ACC rivalries, but he thinks there’s potential for it to become a rich rivalry."

You obviously aren't as familiar with this thing at all and depending on Wiki to confirm this ridiculous notion is absurd. I think geographic proximity can intensify a rivalry but when teams are not in the same conference and don't play yearly it fizzles. I and others have underscored that some of the most intense rivalries in college aren't based on geographic locations.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 01-25-2017 at 06:35 PM..

Old 01-25-2017, 07:44 PM

again, you are basing rivalries soley on two programs being good at a sport at the same time. that's not what i'm talking about. i don't understand why this is a big issue for you.

every fan of every team that plays Duke in basketball really wants to beat Duke and UNC. that isn't unique to Maryland.

I asserted PSU, UVA and West Virginia were rivals of Maryland prior to looking at Wikipedia. only looked at wikipedia to see if it backs me up and it did. i most likely got this from watching ESPN and football games over the years.

i don't think Maryland is playing Duke or UNC out of conference now, unless it is schedule as part of big10-ACC challenge. to me, it is not a strong rivalry if the programs don't schedule each other out of conference.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:37 PM

9,418 posts, read 9,593,330 times
Considering how much success Hockey East has as a brand maybe they should expand into Basketball only with URI replacing BC because no way BC leaves the ACC. "Bus leagues" IMO are the only way mid-majors can be relevant by offering distinct regional rivals. UConn, UMass-Amherst, URI, UMass Lowell, UNH, UVM, Holy Cross, Northeastern, UMaine and BU would be a good conference to foster regional rivalries and non of them are in P5 conferences so it really wouldn't effect income all that much.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
again, you are basing rivalries soley on two programs being good at a sport at the same time. that's not what i'm talking about. i don't understand why this is a big issue for you.

every fan of every team that plays Duke in basketball really wants to beat Duke and UNC. that isn't unique to Maryland.

I asserted PSU, UVA and West Virginia were rivals of Maryland prior to looking at Wikipedia. only looked at wikipedia to see if it backs me up and it did. i most likely got this from watching ESPN and football games over the years.

i don't think Maryland is playing Duke or UNC out of conference now, unless it is schedule as part of big10-ACC challenge. to me, it is not a strong rivalry if the programs don't schedule each other out of conference.
I don't understand why this is a big issue for you? Which part of I went to school there (first hand experience) that doesn't seem to jive with your warped research. What makes a good or solid rivalry is two programs being good in a sport at the same time or having historical battles. There are notable out of conference football rivalries like USCe/Clemson; Ga/Ga Tech, and FSU/UF. If you even mention Penn State/MD in football people would probably go huh?

But you made my point none of MDs "geographical" rivalries were in the same in conference and Penn State usually smashed MD in CFB so it didn't become a nationally known rivalry. However MD played better basketball than football so thus some formidable and notable in-conference rivalries developed...here's wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke%E...etball_rivalry

Will Penn State and MD become a future rivalry? Maybe but MDs got some work to do with a great incoming class. I am still a huge Terp fan but wish they had stayed in the ACC. The biggest rivalry of MD is my experiences is with Johns Hopkins in Lacrosse, that's some serious business. The ACC is a huge Lacrosse conference and another reason MD is a better fit in the ACC. Lacrosse is mostly an East Coast, Mid and South Atlantic sport so Syracuse was a natural fit.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:06 AM

22,347 posts, read 32,259,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I don't understand why this is a big issue for you? Which part of I went to school there (first hand experience) that doesn't seem to jive with your warped research. What makes a good or solid rivalry is two programs being good in a sport at the same time or having historical battles. There are notable out of conference football rivalries like USCe/Clemson; Ga/Ga Tech, and FSU/UF. If you even mention Penn State/MD in football people would probably go huh?

But you made my point none of MDs "geographical" rivalries were in the same in conference and Penn State usually smashed MD in CFB so it didn't become a nationally known rivalry. However MD played better basketball than football so thus some formidable and notable in-conference rivalries developed...here's wiki:

Will Penn State and MD become a future rivalry? Maybe but MDs got some work to do with a great incoming class. I am still a huge Terp fan but wish they had stayed in the ACC. The biggest rivalry of MD is my experiences is with Johns Hopkins in Lacrosse, that's some serious business. The ACC is a huge Lacrosse conference and another reason MD is a better fit in the ACC. Lacrosse is mostly an East Coast, Mid and South Atlantic sport so Syracuse was a natural fit.

Have to generally agree

Having gone to PSU MD is not a top rivalry by any means, more interest of proximity but hard pressed to see any real established rivalry

PSU would have historically been WVU, Pitt, ND, USC, even Miami when an independent - actually miss those days a bit

In the big ten there are forming rivalries with OSU and MI etc but it wont ever be the OSU/MI rivalry

Old 01-26-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post

i've said numerous times I'm talking about geographical rivalries, not competitive games in a sport between two programs. and a rivalry isn't based on it being well known nationally.

For exampl, Clemson has won around 60 percent of its football games with Uni of SC but it is still one of the top rivalries in college football. and i doubt this is viewed as a big rivalry for people who live in other parts of the country.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
i've said numerous times I'm talking about geographical rivalries, not competitive games in a sport between two programs. and a rivalry isn't based on it being well known nationally.

For exampl, Clemson has won around 60 percent of its football games with Uni of SC but it is still one of the top rivalries in college football. and i doubt this is viewed as a big rivalry for people who live in other parts of the country.
I totally get the inference to geographical rivalry but Clemson/USCe (nationally known, especially amongst CFB sports enthusiast) play every year, a real rivalry within the same geographic area to bolster visibility. Penn State and MD by no means have any such rivalry. 60% to 40% is an acceptable ratio to maintain a sense of rivalry. Penn State Maryland series is 37-2-1 or 95% for PSU. Basically, MDs gotta up the quality of play to make it a real rivalry in football...we shall see.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:19 PM

1,593 posts, read 841,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Considering how much success Hockey East has as a brand maybe they should expand into Basketball only with URI replacing BC because no way BC leaves the ACC. "Bus leagues" IMO are the only way mid-majors can be relevant by offering distinct regional rivals. UConn, UMass-Amherst, URI, UMass Lowell, UNH, UVM, Holy Cross, Northeastern, UMaine and BU would be a good conference to foster regional rivalries and non of them are in P5 conferences so it really wouldn't effect income all that much.
There's no way UConn, UMass or URI would want any part of that basketball, it's a huge step down from the A10 or American.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:03 PM

9,418 posts, read 9,593,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
There's no way UConn, UMass or URI would want any part of that basketball, it's a huge step down from the A10 or American.
UMass/URI believes they are good based off of the past (1995 dream season) but they are not (particularly UMass), maybe not UConn
Northeastern is as high quality as UMass/URI the last few years, this year they beat UConn and Michigan State.
I would also bet UVM could beat UMass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or