Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 12:10 PM

20 posts, read 18,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Gangs in Ventura? haha. If you consider SLC and Boise to be too big and expensive I don't understand how you can consider the CA options. As someone that lives in LA, I would cross CA off the list if I was in your place with your income and location independence. It makes no sense to live someplace expensive. Personally, I am plotting how to get out of CA and have a wife and young child and places I'm looking at are Bend, OR , Spokane, WA and also Boise
I understated CA is expensive but as I mentioned I would love to live in a place that has access to Surf and not sure we have many places in the west apart from California that has surf and milder climate. The tricky part is for me to balance it out, I know I cannot possibly wish to live in say Santa Barabara with my income and housing budget.

I am willing to compromise on a few things, I can go further inland in CA if need be, SLO & Ventura are my initial pickings definitely not my final ones.Gangs in Ventura thats what I read in some forums online, please let know if thats a thing of past or im all wrong there.

SLC & Boise- as Im missing out on Oceans I would live in a place with little traffic and where I can buy a home close to my wifes studio and kids school, from my research both these places do break by budget for such home. I have lived in SLC and the traffic was bad (definitely not LA bad), and it seem to be getting worse every day.

Bend & Spokane seem interesting any idea on the COL ??

Thanks for your inputs !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 10:36 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,879,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemiann View Post
How do you compare Reno to Carson City ?? I saw a few listings very close to the Governer's residence in Carson city under 350k , wonder how many places once can do that.Are the outdoors readily accessible as in Carson city? Tnx.
The outdoor is very similar to Carson City, 40 minutes to N Lake Tahoe vs Carson City 30 minutes to S Lake Tahoe. Mt Rose ski resort is 20-30 min away. Tons of nearby walking trails.
The city feels more cosmopolitan and the traffic is slightly worse. But you are 10-20 minutes from the airport.

Under 350k, you probably have to look at Northern part of the city and Spanish Spring.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Your criteria is impossible.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:57 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Your criteria is impossible.
There's been a lot of that fantasy stuff going around lately.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:49 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,937,370 times
Quote:
I understated CA is expensive but as I mentioned I would love to live in a place that has access to Surf and not sure we have many places in the west apart from California that has surf and milder climate. The tricky part is for me to balance it out, I know I cannot possibly wish to live in say Santa Barabara with my income and housing budget.

I am willing to compromise on a few things, I can go further inland in CA if need be, SLO & Ventura are my initial pickings definitely not my final ones.Gangs in Ventura thats what I read in some forums online, please let know if thats a thing of past or im all wrong there.

SLC & Boise- as Im missing out on Oceans I would live in a place with little traffic and where I can buy a home close to my wifes studio and kids school, from my research both these places do break by budget for such home. I have lived in SLC and the traffic was bad (definitely not LA bad), and it seem to be getting worse every day.

Bend & Spokane seem interesting any idea on the COL ??

Thanks for your inputs !!
Okay, so the bigger ocean waves are several hours away, I'd suggest looking into Bellingham, WA. 80,000 population with a metro of about 200k, situated between Seattle and Vancouver, BC. It's the only place where the Cascades meet the sea- lush mountains all around with big, rugged peaks less than an hour away. Skiing, mountain biking, kayaking, it's an outdoor hub with tons of great breweries and a medium sized university. Small but airport in town, Seattle airport 1.5 hours away and Vancouver Int'l 40 miles away, just across the border. People around here don't want the secret to get out but if you're cool with the Pac NW climate, you may love this place. Check out this little video if you've got a minute: [vimeo]195260295[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/195260295.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
The outdoor is very similar to Carson City, 40 minutes to N Lake Tahoe vs Carson City 30 minutes to S Lake Tahoe. Mt Rose ski resort is 20-30 min away. Tons of nearby walking trails.
The city feels more cosmopolitan and the traffic is slightly worse. But you are 10-20 minutes from the airport.

Under 350k, you probably have to look at Northern part of the city and Spanish Spring.
What will be some of the desirable family friendly neighborhoods in Reno-Sparks, if Housing budget is not an issue??

Old 01-23-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Okay, so the bigger ocean waves are several hours away, I'd suggest looking into Bellingham, WA. 80,000 population with a metro of about 200k, situated between Seattle and Vancouver, BC. It's the only place where the Cascades meet the sea- lush mountains all around with big, rugged peaks less than an hour away. Skiing, mountain biking, kayaking, it's an outdoor hub with tons of great breweries and a medium sized university. Small but airport in town, Seattle airport 1.5 hours away and Vancouver Int'l 40 miles away, just across the border. People around here don't want the secret to get out but if you're cool with the Pac NW climate, you may love this place. Check out this little video if you've got a minute: [vimeo]195260295[/vimeo]
[vimeo]195260295[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/195260295.

Thank you, Bellingham is very interesting, will do some research.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:39 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
Quote:
Thousand Oaks/Oak Park/Agoura Hill they do have the best schools in Ventura county for sure but is it a pleasant to commute to Ventura? I heard the traffic is terrible in those narrow canyons. Any other touristic towns near by??
Is it realistic to pursue surfing living in those areas? isn't it too far ? I would not want my kid to be the only one in his/her social circle to be in the sport !
There is a surf shop (Val Surf) in Thousand Oaks that has been in business for 27 years. There are plenty of kids who surf who live in those cities. Malibu is only 12 miles away going over Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon. However, the City of Ventura is right on the coast, so there is more of a surfing culture there. The only other tourist town in the county is Ojai, which is a separate commute up from Ventura. The most touristy town is Santa Barbara which beats Ventura in every measure. I have friends in SB who always take the commuter plane down to LAX when they fly.

The drive from the Conejo Valley to Ventura is NOT on a "narrow canyon" but on the 101 freeway, and it is a pleasant drive. I commuted there daily for years and only experienced traffic jams (ones to the point of stopping completely) twice. Really. Going over "the grade" gives a lovely view which often made my day.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:56 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,879,965 times
Quote:
What will be some of the desirable family friendly neighborhoods in Reno-Sparks, if Housing budget is not an issue??
Caughlin Ranch, Arrowcreek and Montreux are very desirable neighborhoods with excellent schools.

But generally, the large area South of Downtown and West of Virginia Street are all very wealthy with good schools.

Damonte Ranch, Somerset and Spanish Spring are cheaper suburban communities but the schools are as good.

The areas to avoid are Sun valley, East of Virginia Street South of DTW, old part of Sparks.

Overall, nice and safe neighborhoods are plenty.

Old 02-22-2020, 12:35 PM

Hi all, took me a while to get back to this forum.
In the mean time we did recce trips to San Diego, Phoenix metro, Austin, SLC, Thousand Oaks/Ventura & Boise. Lived in Santa Fe for about an year.
Ended up buying a place in Denver, although we anticipate it to be a short term commitment.

Unfortunately we had a few miscarriages along the way, so no kids yet but more time to live and learn and continue my sojourn for the perfect place ( * by now I know it doesn’t exist).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.