U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 02:33 PM

17 posts, read 10,707 times

Advertisements

Hi All, a little bit about us.

Wife & I in early 30's, planing to have a little one with in the next year or so. Im a travelling IT Consultant, so Mon-Thu I have to be at clients site & weekends I can be home( Client pays for expenses). Looking for a place to settle down and raise the kid. Below are my criteria.

I need to travel on a weekly basis (Can possibly work from home one week in a month).Local job market doesn't really matter.

1.Good Schools, Preferably small city/town with less traffic, not too high COL, close to nature and with in 60-90 mins to a domestic airport.

2. Milder weather, I dont expect a perfect place but prefer milder seasons.

3.Outdoor opportunities && outdoor culture , Surfing and mountains, Lakes and mountains would do too. I want to raise a outdoor adventurous kid(Surf/Ski/Bike/Horse riding/ SUP/ etc).

4.Preferably Western state.

5.Some place where I dont have to go far to find outdoor opportunities year round, so basically will be coming home for a vacation every week

6.Wife is a photographer and planning to open her photo studio & boutique ( so a place with a bit of downtown & touristy culture).

7.My Pay check would be 150k per annum. Not counting on wifeys income as its always a hit & miss.

8.Housing budget would be preferably less than 400k, 3BD SFH(dosnet want to work all life for mortgage) can push it up to 600k if everything else fall in line.

So far I found these places with the mentioned negatives but im only getting started with my research and this is a big & beautiful country.

1.San Luis Obsipo - Housing cost breaks my budget, read so may comments on city data about it not being a real community aka only college kids & retirees, no jobs for young people , Schools donest seem great .

Is it a practical location to pursue surfing?? seem a bit too far way

2. Ventura - Not sure of schools,expensive housing, Gangs .

3. Carson City, NV - this looks good from budget point of view but its NEVADA , everything I read online is ****ty about this state.

4. Durango Expensive housing.

5. Santa Fe - Little too big & expensive housing again.

6. Missoula - Heard some good things but may be a tad too big & too cold for our liking (also seem expensive)

Boise && SLC were considered too but too big & expensive.

If you have made it this far I appreciate your patience , thank you,any advise/comments are welcome. I Please let know if any further details/info is required( feel like typing a work email lol) Cheers !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 05:25 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,451,125 times
Re the California options:

Ventura has #2,3,4,5,6 but schools are hit and miss. And housing is high.Plus, Burbank Airport and LAX really far (also why SLO is out of the question).

Thousand Oaks/Oak Park/Agoura Hills have best schools, very low crime, much closer to LA, and if your wife wants a shop in a touristy area, she could still open it up in Ventura (a 25 mile or so drive from T.O.). Those areas have all you want BUT are $600k for sure.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:44 PM

4,796 posts, read 3,235,696 times
Gangs in Ventura? haha. If you consider SLC and Boise to be too big and expensive I don't understand how you can consider the CA options. As someone that lives in LA, I would cross CA off the list if I was in your place with your income and location independence. It makes no sense to live someplace expensive. Personally, I am plotting how to get out of CA and have a wife and young child and places I'm looking at are Bend, OR , Spokane, WA and also Boise

Old 01-19-2017, 10:06 PM

2,550 posts, read 1,642,928 times
Reno,NV.
Mild weather, beautiful mountain and lake Tahoe. Schools in Northern NV is much better than Las Vegas. Coral Academy is a very good charter school. And if your kid tests well and gets in Davidson Academy, you are set. It is one of the best school in the country.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:18 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,154,461 times
Coeur d'Alene.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:20 AM

8,452 posts, read 11,451,125 times
Boise and Coeur d'Alene are not candidates for OP's desire for "milder weather:"

Snowfall, subzero temps in Boise; Dec. 2016 nearly set records | Idaho Statesman

Old 01-20-2017, 10:26 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,154,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Boise and Coeur d'Alene are not candidates for OP's desire for "milder weather:"

Snowfall, subzero temps in Boise; Dec. 2016 nearly set records | Idaho Statesman
There has to be some trade offs to find the perfect place. Besides the article you posted is about setting records, winters in Boise are typically milder with less snow.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Re the California options:

Ventura has #2,3,4,5,6 but schools are hit and miss. And housing is high.Plus, Burbank Airport and LAX really far (also why SLO is out of the question).

Thousand Oaks/Oak Park/Agoura Hills have best schools, very low crime, much closer to LA, and if your wife wants a shop in a touristy area, she could still open it up in Ventura (a 25 mile or so drive from T.O.). Those areas have all you want BUT are $600k for sure.

Reg. airport options I was looking at Santa Barbara airport (for Ventura) and SLO airport for SLO. I understand they are small airports but as long as they can get me to a nearby larger one in this case SFO or LAX , I should be good as Im not worried about taking an expensive flight (client pays for airfare).

Any idea on SLO schools?? or the schools in the five cities that surround SLO (Morro Bay, Arroyo Grande ..) or Paso Robles?

Thousand Oaks/Oak Park/Agoura Hill they do have the best schools in Ventura county for sure but is it a pleasant to commute to Ventura? I heard the traffic is terrible in those narrow canyons. Any other touristic towns near by??

Is it realistic to pursue surfing living in those areas? isn't it too far ? I would not want my kid to be the only one in his/her social circle to be in the sport.

Thank you for all the advise !

Old 01-20-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Reno,NV.
Mild weather, beautiful mountain and lake Tahoe. Schools in Northern NV is much better than Las Vegas. Coral Academy is a very good charter school. And if your kid tests well and gets in Davidson Academy, you are set. It is one of the best school in the country.

How do you compare Reno to Carson City ?? I saw a few listings very close to the Governer's residence in Carson city under 350k , wonder how many places once can do that.Are the outdoors readily accessible as in Carson city? Tnx.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
There has to be some trade offs to find the perfect place. Besides the article you posted is about setting records, winters in Boise are typically milder with less snow.

Im open to tradeoffs.. I Know CDA is very touristy, how are the schools up there?

How accessible are outdoors in Boise? I heard the traffic is bad these days to get out of town. Tnx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or