U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 07:12 AM

4,570 posts, read 6,543,484 times

Advertisements

Straight forward question. I think in many ways, most cities are different from where they were a decade or so ago, whether it be for better or worse.

However, which cities do you think have changed the most during this time? What has changed the most about it? Discuss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 07:31 AM

9,948 posts, read 6,881,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Straight forward question. I think in many ways, most cities are different from where they were a decade or so ago, whether it be for better or worse.

However, which cities do you think have changed the most during this time? What has changed the most about it? Discuss
Detroit!

The city went bankrupt! It had a massive loss of population the previous census. However, most people are not aware of how much investment is going on in Detroit right now....and how the core is roaring back to life. By the end of this decade, Detroit should have recorded its first year-over-year increase in population in likely 60 years. The vibe in the city has changed from totally negative.....to positive. The auto industry is restructured and the city is becoming more diverse. Massive new residential areas are being built in the core....with more planned. One major investor in the city, Dan Gilbert, is predicting over 12 new skyscrapers in the next within the next several years.....some of them his own....no doubt (the Hudson block project).

From reverse....to neutral.....to Drive in 10 years!

Old 01-20-2017, 07:33 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,160,832 times
Austin and Nashville do to population growth.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:35 AM

500 posts, read 329,865 times
I realize that this wont be the "most" changed city but I'll mention Richmond, VA. Ten years ago Richmond was a completely different place. Crime issues, older infrastructure and abandoned properties were among the issues Richmond was experiencing. At that time a good amount of residents in the surrounding counties dreaded having to enter the city limits for business or leisure. Entire neighborhoods have now been revitalized like Manchester and Battery Park. New neighborhoods have been given life like Scott's Addition and Rockets Landing. We now have 8 Fortune 500 companies in the area. While not rapid, the city is growing at a decent speed. We are emerging as a destination for lovers of food and local beer. While not the most dramatic change in the country I think that Richmond is on to something and has taken major strides in the past 10 years. Anyone that new the old Richmond would agree.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:37 AM

22,116 posts, read 23,634,230 times
Detroit seems to be a good answer.

Some of those random petroleum towns in North Dakota went through a crazy boom and bust cycle, so that must've been dramatic.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:48 AM

2,111 posts, read 1,304,477 times
NYC has changed a lot. We got a new World Trade Center, and with it a whole new Downtown skyline. Plus Hudson yards, multiple subway expansions for the first time in over 20 years I believe, and 2 new satellite skylines in LIC Queens and Downtown Brooklyn. Oh and all the rapid gentrification around BK and Upper Manhattan has been kind of insane. Me from 10 years ago probably couldn't have predicted the areas where me today lives and likes to hang out.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:58 AM

3,952 posts, read 3,487,388 times
Grand Rapids is almost unrecognizable after the last 10-15 years, from a built standpoint. I think a few people would argue that it's social make up hasn't moved quite as quick.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:18 AM

22,116 posts, read 23,634,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
NYC has changed a lot. We got a new World Trade Center, and with it a whole new Downtown skyline. Plus Hudson yards, multiple subway expansions for the first time in over 20 years I believe, and 2 new satellite skylines in LIC Queens and Downtown Brooklyn. Oh and all the rapid gentrification around BK and Upper Manhattan has been kind of insane. Me from 10 years ago probably couldn't have predicted the areas where me today lives and likes to hang out.
Plus, there's the Jersey City boom right across the river and the half million or so additional people that are in the city proper over the last ten years.

I think these are altogether a lot of change and in any other US city the sum total of these things would have overwhelmingly altered it. What sort of lessens the impact on a larger macro level is that NYC was already operating from a huge base to work off of.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:29 AM

974 posts, read 633,154 times
From the cities I've lived in, the top 2 are Toronto and Montreal that changed the most, but since I lived in MTL longer I'll write about that.

Montreal has changed like crazy in the past 5-10 years. We've seen the emergence of new hip neighbourhoods (parts of HoMa, Parc-Ex, Mile-Ex, Griffintown, St-Henri, Rosemont/La-Petite-Patrie, etc..). The city got even more diverse than it was before and continues to do so. Downtown is booming again with thousands of people moving in yearly, lots of buildings going up there also, the QDS area with the highest concentration of cultural and art activities on the continent. The coffee culture here is one of the best in the world, along with the food culture and the city is a global leader in AI, tech, aerospace and gaming. There's a lot more but I'll keep this brief.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:02 AM

774 posts, read 839,981 times
Washington, DC certainly belongs on this list, thanks to the heavy developments in NoMA, Navy Yard (including Nationals Park), the gentrification of neighborhoods like Near Northeast, Brookland, Takoma, eastern Capitol Hill, Columbia Heights/Parkwood, Bloomingdale, Shaw, the Southwest Waterfront, along with the continuing refinement of well-established neighborhoods and development projects like CityCenter, the new African American museum, and of course, the Trump Hotel. Even DC south of the Anacostia isn't quite as dangerous as it was a decade ago, even if its still gritty and has its problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or