Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 10:57 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,548 times

Advertisements

The Kansas suburbs of KCMO immediately come to mind.

NOVA suburbs of DC as well as Montgomery and Howard Counties on the Maryland side.

Arguably DeSoto County, Mississippi (suburban Memphis), though I consider Hattiesburg and the MS Gulf Coast more desirable parts of that state

Are the Northern Kentucky suburbs of Cincinnati considered more desirable than the Eastern Suburbs of Louisville

North Jersey suburbs of NYC

What about Vancouver, (not B.C.), Washington (not D.C.) across the river from Portland?

Fairfield County, CT?

What about the Chicago suburbs of Indiana? I'd consider suburbs like Carmel (near Indianapolis) to be more desirable than NW Indiana though.

Last edited by biscuit_head; 01-24-2017 at 11:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 10:58 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I think most people believe that Northern VA is the best part of the state. The same is probably true of Northern NJ and Southern NH. Are there any other states where the most expensive/desirable/beloved area is just a suburb for a city outside of the state?
Virginia and Jersey, definitely, but not sure about New Hampshire. I feel like the most desirable areas there would be the Seacoast, whose towns are pretty close to Boston but also aren't really suburban Boston, and Lake Winnipesaukee.

Connecticut and Maryland definitely qualify, too.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:56 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
What about the Chicago suburbs of Indiana? I'd consider suburbs like Carmel (near Indianapolis) to be more desirable than NW Indiana though.
Most of the Indiana suburbs of Chicago are perfectly habitable but I don't think any of them are actively sought out by people who have the means to live wherever they want in the region. Most of NWI has a working/middle-class post-industrial feel, and of course Gary drags down NWI's reputation quite a lot.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:02 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
The Kansas suburbs of KCMO immediately come to mind.

NOVA suburbs of DC as well as Montgomery and Howard Counties on the Maryland side.

Arguably DeSoto County, Mississippi (suburban Memphis), though I consider Hattiesburg and the MS Gulf Coast more desirable parts of that state

Are the Northern Kentucky suburbs of Cincinnati considered more desirable than the Eastern Suburbs of Louisville

North Jersey suburbs of NYC

What about Vancouver, (not B.C.), Washington (not D.C.) across the river from Portland?

Fairfield County, CT?

The North NJ suburbs of NYC are nice but aren't the "most" desirable suburbs of NYC. That's the Westchester suburbs for a number of reasons.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:05 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The North NJ suburbs of NYC are nice but aren't the "most" desirable suburbs of NYC. That's the Westchester suburbs for a number of reasons.
They'r also in the same state as NYC.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:08 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
The topic is about states where the most desirable areas are suburbs of a city in another state, not about which suburbs of a city are most desirable overall. Given that, North Jersey most definitely qualifies.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:50 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
In terms of an overall desirable area rather than just one suburb, the North Shore is probably the most desirable area in metro Chicago.

Northwest Indiana near Chicago certainly has some fine towns, but its overall reputation is dragged down thanks to Gary and its surroundings. The Illinois suburbs of St. Louis have a similar issue with East St. Louis and its surroundings.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:32 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
While not true suburbs, I think the nicest parts of West Virginia technically in the DC Metro.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:19 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,871 times
Quote:
Scarsdale and other communities of Westchester are pretty elite. Yonkers, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle seem pretty dumpy. I think certain North Jersey, Connecticut and Long Island suburbs hold their own against Westchester County.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:01 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Scarsdale and other communities of Westchester are pretty elite. Yonkers, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle seem pretty dumpy. I think certain North Jersey, Connecticut and Long Island suburbs hold their own against Westchester County.
There are actually some really nice parts of New Rochelle that are as affluent as anything in Scarsdale. This is New Rochelle:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9549...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.