U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 06:38 PM

4,843 posts, read 2,973,256 times

Advertisements

Is there a metro area that has as many walkable areas as DC. I understand that all of NY is walkable, but DC seems to have a ton of pockets that are self contained and walkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 07:35 PM

4,266 posts, read 5,473,848 times
Chicago, SF, and Boston are all just as walkable. Many other locations such as Philly, parts of Baltimore, and even Seattle are probably in contention, too.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:06 PM

2,111 posts, read 1,303,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Chicago, SF, and Boston are all just as walkable. Many other locations such as Philly, parts of Baltimore, and even Seattle are probably in contention, too.
This is almost exactly what I was going to say. If you like those hidden pockets all around the city then Philly is really great for that. Its subway system is a bit lacking though, unfortunately.

But DC really has one of the best subway systems in the US and all of North America, which definitely helps with walkability. I would rank it 3rd in the US behind NYC and Chicago.

If you're looking for something close to DCs level of walkability then I would suggest Philly, Boston, or SF.

If you're looking for something more, then try Chicago or NYC.

Those are really the only cities that can compete with DC here. The vast majority of US cities are very unwalkable.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:40 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,538,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Is there a metro area that has as many walkable areas as DC. I understand that all of NY is walkable, but DC seems to have a ton of pockets that are self contained and walkable.
Not all of New York is walkable. All of Manhattan, yes, but not all of New York.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:27 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,878,001 times
Not only is DC proper very walkable, but Arlington, Alexandria, Silver Spring, and Bethesda have their pockets as well, especially Arlington. Plus National Harbor.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:57 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
This is almost exactly what I was going to say. If you like those hidden pockets all around the city then Philly is really great for that. Its subway system is a bit lacking though, unfortunately.
Philly isn't all that walkable in general if one looks at the city overall. The core (Center City) is quite walkable but most of the city is not and without a car not easy to get around as the subway and rail system routes are fairly limited in-town with lots of space in-between them.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:01 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Definitely NYC and DC in my opinion followed by Boston, San Francisco and then Chicago. All of Chicago isn't that walkable in terms of close transit accessibility. The NW, SW and SE sides aren't well-covered with rail or subway access.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:55 AM

773 posts, read 839,621 times
Less than an hour from DC, I find Baltimore just about as walkable in terms of coverae, and it was especially more so during its golden age. You can easily go from Fort McHenry around thorugh Locust Point to Federal Hill through the Inner Harbor/Downtown, up through Mount Vernon, Station North, Charles Village, and the JHU area (along with Hampden to the west and parts of Waverly to the east), and also east from the Harbor to Harbor East, Fells Point, and Canton/Patterson Park and find a nice variety of city amenities in those corridors. I saw that although not as large as DC/Philly/Chicago/SF, Baltimore has a noticeably growing population in its core, and this should lead to improvements in terms of density of amneities in its core. Although transit isn't as good as DC, there is still the Circulator, the light rail, the water taxi, and a decent bus system. Stay away from the other areas at night, and even there, use caution and stick to the safer streets like Charles, Eastern Avenue and south, and the Key Highway corridor. Though like Philadelphia as stated above, you'll need a car to travel to many places that you can't reach by foot or transit.

I'd say that Seattle, Portland, and Denver are the most underrated cities in terms of being walkable, especially Denver. In addition to Downtown, the South Broadway corridor is a long stretch of development with a variety of businesses bordered by a neat grid system down to the Englewood area. The East Colfax Avenue corridor is another, extending as far as Aurora, and West Colfax isn't as bad. Oregon's urban growth restrictions ensures better infill development, and Portland has extensive areas to walk around as well.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:42 AM

4,843 posts, read 2,973,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Not only is DC proper very walkable, but Arlington, Alexandria, Silver Spring, and Bethesda have their pockets as well, especially Arlington. Plus National Harbor.
This is what prompted my post. Every city has a walkable downtown, but DC burbs are very walkable. Of course, they are all kind of homogenous ( anchored by a Harry Teeter or Giants). But, if you want walkable, but away from the city, DC is very strong.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:07 AM

29,874 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Philly isn't all that walkable in general if one looks at the city overall. The core (Center City) is quite walkable but most of the city is not and without a car not easy to get around as the subway and rail system routes are fairly limited in-town with lots of space in-between them.
Philly is pretty dense and walkable throughout. You make it sound like a Sunbelt city here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or