U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2017, 12:25 PM
 
3,531 posts, read 1,772,570 times
Reputation: 6232

Advertisements

I've been researching areas to move to and I'm leaning towards Raleigh but I still find rents on the higher side of average. I look at "the most affordable places in the US" and it's only affordable if you live in a bad neighborhood or way outside the city. Otherwise, you're still paying an average rent and not really getting a great deal. So, what are the true top 5-10 areas that have the lowest COL and jobs available without sacrificing safety? I find it annoying when the websites say Cleveland or Toledo, etc is only $750 for a 2 bedroom when it's not a place where you can live without loss of quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2017, 12:49 PM
 
56,542 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Reputation: 12490
Why would it be an automatic loss in quality of life?

A lot of "Rust Belt"/Great Lakes areas would/could fit, but it depends on what you are actually looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2017, 12:59 PM
 
1,851 posts, read 1,476,631 times
Reputation: 1283
Are you going to need a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2017, 01:12 PM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,796,055 times
Reputation: 11136
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I've been researching areas to move to and I'm leaning towards Raleigh but I still find rents on the higher side of average. I look at "the most affordable places in the US" and it's only affordable if you live in a bad neighborhood or way outside the city. Otherwise, you're still paying an average rent and not really getting a great deal. So, what are the true top 5-10 areas that have the lowest COL and jobs available without sacrificing safety? I find it annoying when the websites say Cleveland or Toledo, etc is only $750 for a 2 bedroom when it's not a place where you can live without loss of quality of life.
Raleigh's rents are certainly much higher in its core and in some key new urbanism areas or when selecting hyper luxury rentals...which seem to be almost everything that is being built today. Older and established rentals also exist at much lower price points in both the older and newer parts of town. There are definitely options to rent within a mile or so of the Capitol building and not break the bank. Just don't expect the property to have a gym, pool, spa, billiard room, theater room, business center, etc.
That all said, don't expect to find much in the 2 bedroom market for $750. That's a bit low. I know that you can easily do that price point with a one bedroom in an older property in a good location. The average rental rates have increased significantly over the last few years in the market because of the sheer volume of "luxury" projects that have been recently delivered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2017, 02:07 PM
 
3,531 posts, read 1,772,570 times
Reputation: 6232
I work in healthcare and can get a job anywhere. I also have a work from home part time job that pays enough in case I have a lower salary at first. I'm looking for a cheap, safe city with little or no snow/ice bc I don't know how to drive in it (despite being from the Chicago area). I'm a swf, 43, no kids. I was thinking between the Columbus or Roanoke area but then Raleigh seemed like a better long term option. Tbh, the biggest reason why I'm leaning towards Raleigh is bc my dad will likely be moving in with me and he has a staffie and Raleigh area seems to have the most choices for restricted breeds. I know it sounds like a dumb reason but he's so stressed about the dog and cries thinking he might have to put it down or surrender.
As for me, cheap, safe, not locked in the state (like Texas) and no regular severe weather. I don't really care about anything else. Every nice suburb is pretty much the same. I just work and live until my time is up.
Places I've lived
Northwest Indiana
St. Louis
Holland MI
San Antonio
Austin
South Bend
Orange County NY

South bend is affordable but too much snow. I had a nice 2 bedroom by Walmart and Meijer area for $625. I think it's $715 now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2017, 02:22 PM
 
1,851 posts, read 1,476,631 times
Reputation: 1283
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I work in healthcare and can get a job anywhere. I also have a work from home part time job that pays enough in case I have a lower salary at first. I'm looking for a cheap, safe city with little or no snow/ice bc I don't know how to drive in it (despite being from the Chicago area). I'm a swf, 43, no kids. I was thinking between the Columbus or Roanoke area but then Raleigh seemed like a better long term option. Tbh, the biggest reason why I'm leaning towards Raleigh is bc my dad will likely be moving in with me and he has a staffie and Raleigh area seems to have the most choices for restricted breeds. I know it sounds like a dumb reason but he's so stressed about the dog and cries thinking he might have to put it down or surrender.
As for me, cheap, safe, not locked in the state (like Texas) and no regular severe weather. I don't really care about anything else. Every nice suburb is pretty much the same. I just work and live until my time is up.
Places I've lived
Northwest Indiana
St. Louis
Holland MI
San Antonio
Austin
South Bend
Orange County NY

South bend is affordable but too much snow. I had a nice 2 bedroom by Walmart and Meijer area for $625. I think it's $715 now.
Unfortunately Indiana is one of the cheapest states to live in, so if you're struggling there I don't know where you could get any real relief. Raleigh will likely be more expensive than South Bend. If you can work from home/easily find a job why not look into more rural parts of Indiana, Kentucky, or Tennessee? The weather will be more mild in Kentucky and Tennessee, but they're no strangers to snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2017, 02:29 PM
 
7,699 posts, read 4,557,747 times
Reputation: 8386
Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2017, 02:41 PM
 
21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Reputation: 19614
Check out Greensboro-Winston Salem. If you like the idea of Raleigh you'll find it similar minus the higher costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2017, 02:55 PM
 
3,531 posts, read 1,772,570 times
Reputation: 6232
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Unfortunately Indiana is one of the cheapest states to live in, so if you're struggling there I don't know where you could get any real relief. Raleigh will likely be more expensive than South Bend. If you can work from home/easily find a job why not look into more rural parts of Indiana, Kentucky, or Tennessee? The weather will be more mild in Kentucky and Tennessee, but they're no strangers to snow.
I'm actually in NY right now. Long story short, I was taking care of my grandma in my childhood home in NWI and I was going broke from not working full time. The house has been willed to me since 2000. I came to NY for a short term lucrative job my dad got me. I just wanted to pay my debt and save so I could afford to pay the house bills cuz I was terrified I'd lose it. While I was gone, my grandma got very ill and my mom and brother pulled some shenanigans and took the house. So I'm stranded in NY and lost my house. I could sue and probably get a settlement but it could be years and I'd rather just try to move on and not even let them know how much they wrecked my life.
I could make it in Indiana easily but the only thing I had there was my grandma and the house. They are both gone. I'm only looking for cheap bc I had a big setback bc I was planning on having a paid off home and only have maintenance, repair and tax expenses. I figured if I could live cheap then I could make up some of the disaster. It was a trade off for giving up 10 prime earning years.
Maybe I'll just try Raleigh for a year bc I want to buy a house and the location is near a few states that I can explore without being rushed.
Eta I'm not broke or anything like that. I'm out of debt and have about 50k savings and another 20k in IRA. I just can't afford NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2017, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati
637 posts, read 1,032,422 times
Reputation: 500
Best Cities for Middle-Income Households: The Demographia Housing Affordability Survey | Newgeography.com

My town is pretty affordable. $750-$1000 will get you a decent 2 bed room apt in a safe neighborhood. When it comes to sketchy areas, you can find 2 bed room apts in the hood for $600, but usually that's what you'll pay for a satisfactory 1 bed room unit in a good/decent neighborhood. Even downtown, in gentrified OTR and uptown, you can find nice lofts for $700-900.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top