U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should IN, MI, West OH and Louisville, KY move to Central Time?
Yes 33 41.77%
No 46 58.23%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 10:48 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,578,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Agree, but shouldn't the border for central time be on the eastern side of Michigan/Indiana, where no major/influential city on the national level is? That way the 4 states Chicago is connected economically with would all be on the same time zone.
I'm unsure what you mean that there are no major/influential cities on the national level from the eastern side of Michigan. The Detroit-Windsor area has a population of 5.7 million and if you include the Toledo area the population rises to 6.3 million people. In other words, it is one of the largest urban areas in the USA with immense international trading activity.

The cities of Michigan are economically linked to Detroit and Grand Rapids - independent from Chicago. Only the beach resort towns on the western coast of Michigan see economic activity from tourists from Chicago.

The cities of Michigan are not satellite cites of Chicago to be worried about being in the same time zone. Also, Michigan is heavily linked economically to Canada, Mexico, China, and Japan much more so than Chicago. Michigan is America’s seventh-biggest exporter by state - nothing to do with Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 06:52 AM

5,902 posts, read 7,242,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedgwick_weybridge View Post
And it has borders with Tennessee and, its longest border, with Alabama.

I agree, Chicago should not be in Eastern time--although it is so far east in Central time that summer sunsets are peculiarly early--at least to someone from the East Coast. I think the question is whether Indiana and Michigan should be in Central time, and if Michigan, all of Michigan? Should Detroit and Toledo be in different time zones? Or should Ohio be divided? Toledo and Cleveland in different time zones? (Or, more acutely, Cincinnati and Cleveland in different zones, and if so, where to put Columbus?) All of Ohio in Central, and therefore put Youngstown in a different time zone than Erie and Pittsburgh? Wheeling in a different time zone than Steubenville?

Which therefore brings me back to the point that I have discussed elsewhere: if all of Ohio is in Central, why not all of Georgia and all of Florida in Central, too, since both of them are west of Ohio? You object to leaving Augusta and Aiken in different time zones, Savannah and Hilton Head in different zones?

Parts of Michigan are already in the Central time zone.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:07 AM

4,753 posts, read 2,830,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Parts of Michigan are already in the Central time zone.
Four counties. With virtually no people in them. I get that they're the counties that border WI but it's insane that there are a few counties west of the eastern most county on central time.

https://www.timetemperature.com/tzus...ime_zone.shtml

I lived along the Easten/Central time zone in the U.P. It was brutal.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:25 AM

450 posts, read 280,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
This. People are generally up after sunset instead of before sunrises. It's best if peoples waking hours align to when the suns up, so being in a timezone where the times shifted 1 hour later helps people here out. I wish the US would just get rid of daylight savings time and roll on summer time year round though.
Since you said that people would generally prefer to stay up well after sunset instead of well before sunrise, do you realize that in many parts of the country (especially in areas farther north and/or in the western part of their time zone) with year-round DST in early winter many people would be getting up when it's still dark (and not even twilight) in the morning?

That's why in another thread here on C-D I gave the suggestion that if we were to stop the clock changing make it what is now year-round DST for most of the country, but give locations near the western edge of their current time zone the option to move over one zone west (which would locally have the same effect as being on what is now year-round standard time).

Old 06-17-2019, 08:47 PM

3,386 posts, read 2,811,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
Since you said that people would generally prefer to stay up well after sunset instead of well before sunrise, do you realize that in many parts of the country (especially in areas farther north and/or in the western part of their time zone) with year-round DST in early winter many people would be getting up when it's still dark (and not even twilight) in the morning?

That's why in another thread here on C-D I gave the suggestion that if we were to stop the clock changing make it what is now year-round DST for most of the country, but give locations near the western edge of their current time zone the option to move over one zone west (which would locally have the same effect as being on what is now year-round standard time).
That's true, but in the places listed on this thread in the middle of winter it's probably going to be dark either in the morning or the evening leaving work. In Denver it's all the way dark leaving work a little after 5:00 from Dec-Jan. Since it's probably not possible to get both, I think more people would have a preference towards light in the evening. I could be wrong though.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:59 PM

20,153 posts, read 7,607,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
That's true, but in the places listed on this thread in the middle of winter it's probably going to be dark either in the morning or the evening leaving work. In Denver it's all the way dark leaving work a little after 5:00 from Dec-Jan. Since it's probably not possible to get both, I think more people would have a preference towards light in the evening. I could be wrong though.
For people who have to start work at 5 or 6 am, it would not be fun having to work up to half of your shift before the sun even comes up

Old 06-17-2019, 11:11 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,578,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Four counties. With virtually no people in them. I get that they're the counties that border WI but it's insane that there are a few counties west of the eastern most county on central time.

https://www.timetemperature.com/tzus...ime_zone.shtml

I lived along the Easten/Central time zone in the U.P. It was brutal.
I actually think that the entire UP should be on the Central Time Zone with the exception of the eastern counties of Chippewa, Mackinac, Luce, Schoolcraft, and the eastern side of Alger county.

In other words, all the major cities of the UP such as Marquette, Houghton, Hancock, Escanaba, Iron Mountain, and Menominee would be in the Central Time Zone. Sault Ste. Marie would be the only major city in the UP in the Eastern Time Zone as it is more connected with the LP than the other cities. Also, it is linked with its sister city in Ontario which is also in the Eastern Time Zone.

However, moving the UP to a different time zone could fuel more separatist movements and/or aspirations. However, it would be swiftly quelled by the LP.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:09 PM

342 posts, read 269,192 times
I can only speak for Ohio, but moving all or any part of this state to the Central Time Zone would be a mess. I don't think we're far west enough to qualify, for one, but second, it would be extremely unpopular. I can't imagine most people liking the sun suddenly setting at 8 rather than 9 or after in the summer ... and in the far northeast counties, you'd be looking at sunsets before 4 p.m. for Cleveland and anywhere northeast of there along Lake Erie.
So many ingrained habits, including television viewing, would be changed.
But say it were to happen. I think at least eastern Ohio would stay on ET, including Cleveland and Youngstown and any county along I-77. Everybody along 75, including Cincinnati, Dayton and Toledo, would go to CT. The sticking point becomes, which way does Columbus fall? The easiest solution probably would be staying on Eastern Time, planting the time zone line on the line between the Columbus and Cincinnati/Dayton/Toledo DMAs depending on the given area.
If we in the Columbus area went Central, that probably would split the Columbus TV market appreciably as you might have Muskingum, Coshocton, Noble, Guernsey, Athens and maybe Perry on Eastern Time while the inner counties and those along 71 and 23 are in Central. Total mess for Columbus media and anyone who commutes from those counties (and there are some despite the distance).
I could live with being in a different time zone than Cleveland or any of the other eastern and southern counties but would hate being in a different time zone than Dayton, just 75 miles away, or Cincinnati, which is only 100 miles from me. Columbus is not intertwined with either Dayton or Cincinnati as much as those two are with each other, but our three metro areas are close enough that they should be in the same time zone.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:42 PM
Status: "I've been posting here for 12 years!?" (set 8 days ago)

7,445 posts, read 8,424,669 times
The time zones as they are, are not perfect but that map in the OP would cause more problems than what is already in place. First off it looks like Dallas and Fort Worth are in different time zones, which considering the line would split down where DFW Airport is, yeah thats not going to go over well with anyone, can you imagine explaining to travelers what time zone they are in? Yeah you wouldn't like that if you were an employee there and/or traveled through there a lot. Second, it looks like Tampa and St. Petersburg are also in different time zones, thats going to be a no-go from the good folks that live in that area. And finally, it appears that the city of Columbus, Ohio is half in the East and half in the Central, and it also appears that Oklahoma City and perhaps Austin are half in the Central and half in Mountain. Good luck with that.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 07-04-2019 at 10:52 PM..

Old 10-20-2019, 10:06 PM

59 posts, read 12,070 times
Is America ever going to use 30 minute timezones? That would work great for western and Central Ohio while move all of Indiana and Michigan and Louisville and Lexington to CST. Or just move all of Ohio to CST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or