Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 03:50 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times

Advertisements

Apologies if this has been posted prior, but ran across this and it looked like an interesting topic. Loving the places you currently live. Below is a Huffpo listing where "Residents In These States Love Where They Live". Curious regarding the forum's thoughts regarding the listings below. Comments, agreements, exceptions? Do you love where you currently live?

The top states:
1. Montana - 77 percent
1. Alaska - 77 percent
3. Utah - 70 percent
4. Wyoming - 69 percent
5. Texas - 68 percent
5. Hawaii - 68 percent
7. New Hampshire - 67 percent
8. North Dakota - 66 percent
9. Colorado - 65 percent
10. Vermont - 61 percent
10. Oregon - 61 percent
10. Minnesota - 61 percent

The bottom states:
1. Rhode Island - 18 percent
2. Illinois - 19 percent
3. Mississippi - 26 percent
4. Louisiana - 27 percent
5. Michigan - 28 percent
5. New Mexico - 28 percent
5. New Jersey - 28 percent
8. Maryland - 29 percent
8. Missouri - 29 percent
10. Connecticut - 31 percent

Interesting article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5208096.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 05:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I live in Texas and I love where I live.

I also lived in Maryland and I loved living there too, but that was a long time ago. I loved living in Louisiana when I was little but when I considered it again a few years ago, after several visits and some research, I took it off my list.

Honestly though - I think happiness comes from within more than without. I'm pretty happy just about anywhere.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:15 PM

969 posts, read 2,073,570 times
Ain't nobody done ever asked me if I love where I live. The only studies I trust are ones stating that most studies are rubbish or ones in which my city or state is #1 (then I know it's proper).

Old 01-26-2017, 06:21 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Honestly though - I think happiness comes from within more than without. I'm pretty happy just about anywhere.
Exactly. I live in Los Angeles and I love where I live, but when I lived in Ohio, I loved it there too. I have been accused of being chronically happy.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:57 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
I have a hard time thinking that there is that vast of a disparity, when looking at a wider sample. Especially between say Michigan and Minnesota, which are almost neighboring, and have a decent number of things in common. Out of the 12 listed for happiness, only 5 (UT/SLC, CO/DEN, OR/PDX, MN/MPLS, and TX (HOU/DAL/SA/AUS) have at least one mid sized urban metro), and none have any of what I would consider Top 5 CSA's. 10 of the top 12 have what I would consider very significant natural beauty, and even ND and TX aren't bad in that regard. Only 4 of the top 12 are on the relatively expensive end, and the west dominates the top 12 with 7 out of the list. States with higher pct. of Scandinavian population are higher, too. The Midwest and Northeast have 4 states each in the bottom 10, with New Mexico being the sole western state. I don't how much merit I put in this, just some patterns I saw emerging.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:02 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
I have a theory, I think a lot of retirees or rich people get land in Montana to get away from it all. And it's beautiful up there.

Not shocked that NY, Florida and Cali aren't listed. The rat race can be grueling.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:21 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
I mean, this is interesting. Honestly, when measuring happiness, it is best to go out and ask the people (proper steps of course) than take all these different metrics and try to spread weight around them. That said, I would like to see this data plotted against demographic factors, such as age, race, racial makeup, foreign born, percent of population native (as in state) born, and so on.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:01 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
I loved living in Montana. Since I've moved away it's began to tarnish.

I think I would love living in parts of Michigan. Not where I am now though.

My problem is I get restless too easily. I don't want to live in one place forever. Which makes me wonder, how many residents of these states that were polled have experienced living anywhere else?

Old 01-27-2017, 07:12 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
Personally, I feel that one of two things happen. You live where you do because you're born there, attend school there, and get a job there. Your family and friends are near and there is no real reason to leave.

I think it's a little different for those who go to college and graduate with a degree that's in demand. If you can write your own ticket, big difference in where you can choose to live.

We're looking at retiring in NM and it is ranked 5th worst? I agree that there seems to be a huge disparity with those who "love" where they live and those who don't. 77% v 18%??

Old 01-27-2017, 06:33 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
I love living in Michigan and I'm not a native. We've been here almost twenty years and see no compelling reason to leave. It is beautiful, friendly, affordable, and has unbeatable weather from April to November, as far as I'm concerned.

We have visited many other states across the country and own a beach condo in a southern state where we plan to spend January through March when we retire in a few years, but the things that I consider vital to quality of life are available in spades here and our adult kids are just as happy here as we are so we have the added blessing of having them nearby.

American by birth, Michigander by the grace of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.