U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2017, 09:15 AM

845 posts, read 749,367 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a place to settle in retirement that would be a good fit for us.

Hubbie will be retiring soon- hopefully sooner rather than later- I took an early retirement. I'd like to get him out of work so we can do things. We want and "live" a little before we need a nursing home or something.

We are both in our early 60's, liberal but even here in upstate NY, many of our friends are conservative. We are very friendly and like everyone. Don't rub political views or religion (we're atheists) in anyone's face, and avoid the subjects unless asked a direct question. (BTW- some of our friends are also retiring- 1 to Florida, 1 to New Hampshire to be near her daughter)

We are looking to get away from the expense of NY ($8K in property taxes alone), and are looking to get to someplace with a lower COL. We are looking at other states - and yes, Florida is 1 of them.

We will have pensions and SS that equals about $60K /yr. For housing we would like to stay under $200K, under $150K would be even better.

We are healthy except Hubbie had 2 back surgeries (he's doing very well but has arthritis in the area) and I have fibromyalgia. Summers I'm fine, but in pain 24/7 during wet or the winter, tho I'm A LOT better since going on a Paleo diet and started taking various vitamin supplements. I had to take daily narcotic medication at 1 time, now I DON'T even need Tylenol.

My doctor said a warmer climate would help- and I do notice a difference during the summer here in upstate NY. So I'd prefer warm, but a little snow and cold may be doable if only for a very short winter. (If I keep my house close to "tropical" I feel OK.)

Hubbie and I would like to work for extra money and to keep busy, even if only P/T, so we would like an area that has some sort of job prospect. We don't expect anything like big industry, but a choice of various places to apply. We both worked (Hubbie still does) for the state of NY (government job.) We feel a small city/ large town would give us the best option for employment. We live rural now and he travels 110 miles round trip for work, 5 days a week.

We'd like an area with things to see and do. We are big readers and would like a good nearby library. Also nice restaurants/ diners- something more than fast food, since we don't/ can't eat at them.

We eat a lot of fresh produce and organic and would need a health food store because I have food allergies and we both take hard to find vitamins, especially me- for my fibro. We do not do our major food shopping in supermarkets (except in winter). We like farm stands and farmer's markets, so we'd like an area that has lots of them.

We want an area with friendly ppl where we can make friends. We have really no family and it's just us to consider.

We have dogs (currently 6, but 4 are seniors and 2 of them need special food because of kidney disease, so they may not be around too much longer). They are inside dogs- one dog is blind- but will need to go out for potty. We NEVER let our dogs run free- they are always on a leash or in a fenced yard. Plus we have 2 inside cats.

We'd like to be near a city or large town with lots of shopping, (even if 50-70 miles away) if needed,
but really don't want an urban or NY type of suburban lifestyle. We'd like someplace that has an active Main Street, and not someplace with just a bunch of shopping centers along a 4-lane highway. A town that's pretty and not run down with lots of empty storefronts.

We'd like someplace that has a good hospital/ medical care since we are getting older, plus a vet for the dogs.

We live on a 103 acre farm now that we have up for sale. That is now too much for us to care for, plus it costs us $22K/ year, for us to pay for it. We currently live in a rural area. Tired of traveling 25 miles round trip for groceries and Walmart- our only choice for retail. We have to go 60 miles for Home depot/ Lowe's or other retail.

I know this is a lot to ask, and we've posted on other forums for specific cities or states, but now I am hoping for opinions from people in states I didn't consider before. Maybe I'm missing something special.

Thanks. All info, good and bad is welcome. I'm sure there are others out there like us.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 12:02 PM

406 posts, read 290,065 times
Id recommend maybe the panhandle area of Florida. Cheap housing, warm most of the year, however you get a little break in the winter. I realize you mentioned politically youre both liberal, however the majority of the panhandle is conservative.

If that is a deal breaker for you, maybe check out central florida around Orlando suburbs, or Southwest Florida around Estero/Bonita Springs (a little more conservative down there than Orlando/Tampa/Miami, but you still have a good amount of liberals).

Old 01-28-2017, 12:42 PM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times
I heavily recommend something in the lower third of Florida as it can get surprisingly chilly in the midsection and northern part of the state a few months per year. Delray Beach would be a great pick for you in my opinion as it broaches all of your concerns in terms of a town with a thriving downtown area, is in a heavily blue/liberal area, has lots of organic/natural foods options, good healthcare and lots of desirable housing in the lower end of your price bracket.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...t/11_zm/0_mmm/

Old 01-28-2017, 01:03 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,977,375 times
Southwest...there are a few areas in New Mexico and Arizona to pick from and the Las Vegas area. It's pretty broad, but gives you guys a lot of room to analyze and deduce.

Old 01-28-2017, 01:32 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,460,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
We will have pensions and SS that equals about $60K /yr..
New Mexico taxes SS. You should also check if your intended state taxes pensions.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:29 PM

845 posts, read 749,367 times
Thanks everyone, keep the ideas coming.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:58 PM

56,734 posts, read 81,038,544 times
In NY, if you are 65 and older, you do get Enhanced STAR in terms of a property tax exemption and you would likely have to move into a select city or suburban area or college town if you stayed(perhaps something like Hamilton, which also has its own power company with lower rates via NYPA or say a place like Trumansburg).

With this said, this may help in terms of where to look: https://www.retirementliving.com/taxes-by-state

Old 01-28-2017, 03:36 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 26 days ago)

8,736 posts, read 10,859,792 times
I'm not sure how great medical facilities are in NM. I've heard a few people say they were disappointed w/ that aspect overall. Good medical is important IMO.
Some cities possible--Nashville, TN--you have Vanderbilt Hospital there. Not just country music venue, lots to do, good COL, weather pretty good and friendly people.
Florida, you like or don't. Depends on the person. I'm not a fan of the state, so nothing to offer there.
NC--Winston-Salem is a moderate sized city. Retired people move there. Cute downtown. Not that much to do there, IMO, but has a good Hospital there and well-known for cancer treatment/research. Pretty, too. Moderate home prices. I think Greensboro has a Trader Joe's, 1/2 hour away.
Louisville or Lexington, KY--might check out forums and maybe others know about those areas.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:53 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
NC--Winston-Salem is a moderate sized city. Retired people move there. Cute downtown. Not that much to do there, IMO, but has a good Hospital there and well-known for cancer treatment/research. Pretty, too. Moderate home prices. I think Greensboro has a Trader Joe's, 1/2 hour away.
Louisville or Lexington, KY--might check out forums and maybe others know about those areas.
Winston Salem is a great city and has plenty to do, no more or less than any other similarly-sized city of close to 250K in population. It's one of the nation's housing bargains for the amount of amenities it provides along with a moderate climate (albeit probably not conducive to the OP's health). It also has it's own Trader Joe's and Whole Food Market (well before neighboring Greensboro got their own).

Old 01-29-2017, 01:37 PM

29,947 posts, read 27,432,479 times
Check out Aiken, SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.