U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 12:34 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,051,324 times

Advertisements

I've been to both, and I'm tempted to say that I prefer CA.

The advantage to the California beach experience is the lack of humidity in the air. I really enjoy the CA weather. It's nice and moderate in the summer, not hot and sticky. Nicer weather makes for a more enjoyable beach experience, in my book. I also like the surrounding beach towns in CA more. Huntington is really nice.

Florida has warmer water and a more tropical vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 12:44 PM

286 posts, read 1,200,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
The advantage to the California beach experience is the lack of humidity in the air.
You've obviously never been to La Jolla, where it takes 3 days for your clothes to dry.

I have to say Florida has far better beaches. Atlantic Coast/Gulf Coast and the Keys - so many choices, so little sunscreen!

Old 03-02-2008, 12:47 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,051,324 times
I'm more familiar with the LA metro, so SD may be different.

My experiences around LA have been more than pleasant though.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:40 PM

4,126 posts, read 4,466,005 times
Florida is better for swimming and boating but CA has better surf. As many have stated, the water in CA is cold. Cold water is murky and I prefer to be able to spot whatever 12 foot monster is hunting me. Even down in SD, the water in CA is really cold. On another thread someone asked why they never see anyone in the water in pics of CA beaches. It's because the water is essentially melted ice flowing down from the coast of Alaska. The water in FL comes from the Equator. It's very warm and clear except for the Red tide. Red tide seems to be a problem everywhere these days.

I grew up on the gulf coast and miss the warm water very much. CA has some really good points but the cold water more than anything else is driving me back to those warm and clear waters. I don't surf any more so the lack of surf in Fl isn't an issue for me.

Just last week we lost two people in this area to the tide. One was sitting on a rock and got hit by a breaker and dragged out to sea, another tried to save her dog who got hit by a wave and was taken out. People who get dragged out usually don't survive because the water is so cold it shocks the system and they quickly lose consciousness. Surfers are generally wearing a wetsuit so they stay warm enough but boaters and people walking on the shore and wearing much less can't last too long in the cold water.

Just to put a point to rest, the temperature of the water is pretty constant no matter the season. When the scientists are talking about global warming, the tiny 1/4 of the earth that isn't covered in water isn't much of a consideration, it's the temps of the water that matter. It may be blazing hot on the beach but the water is always cold in CA. The cold water is why the climate of coastal CA is so stable. Warm water in FL is why they get pounded with violent storms.

As kids on the gulf coast we would go swimming in January. It could be in the 30s on the beach but the water was always warm. We'd come out of the water and run like scared rabbits to the car where warm clothes awaited.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:45 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,928,266 times
Good post, Joe.

Been to all the beaches: NorCal, SoCal, northern Florida, southern Florida.

As mentioned before by cpg35223, there is nothing that can compare to the beaches of Florida's Panhandle.

Absolutely nothing.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:07 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,789,746 times
I guess it just depends on what you like. I'd rate Carmel or Big Sur as prettier than everything East of the Mississippi. But the water is warmer in Florida. I guess it is hard to seperate California beaches from California in general which is so far superior to Florida there is no comparison.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:35 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,429,074 times
Florida's beaches trump CAs beaches for several reasons. 1) warmer water 2) easier access to them 3) better sand 4) warmer winter weather 5) better looking water 6) the humidity makes it feel more comfortable when you get OUT of the water, IMO. You dry off too fast in dry climates, which makes you hot again in a few minutes, requiring another dip just to cool off. When swimming in FL, we'd get out, lay on the towels and the water wouldnt evaporate off you nearly as fast, and that ocean breeze blowing on the cool water on your body was HEAVEN. Florida is the best state for beach living, far and away.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:39 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,303,852 times
I think we already had this question......I recall answering it before. Anyway I LOVE both with all my heart and soul....anyway, with that said its hard to choose but Soutwest Florida satisfies the swimmer in me and the wildlife is fun and interesting (and as one mentioned, the water is clear enough to see it coming!!!), while California beaches satisfy my camera and the poet in me....and are more fun for driving (highway 1)

Old 03-02-2008, 06:14 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,879,666 times
Florida beaches hands down, cleaner, warmer water and better atmosphere. I do like walking on some of the Central Cal. beaches (like Morro bay, Muir beach).

Old 03-02-2008, 06:40 PM

7,028 posts, read 6,996,426 times
California beaches don't have good sand--it's rocky. Florida, especially the Panhandle, has wonderful sugar fine sand. AND warm water!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.