U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:37 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,344,452 times

Advertisements

Hmm... I'd have to say Florida. California beaches are too racky and cold. Plus I have a vendetta against La Jolla cuz I got a harsh sunburn there once!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 11:50 PM

30 posts, read 86,653 times
They are both very different. CA ocean areas feel "fresher" to me- the air feels fresher because it is not as hot as FL and not humid either. I don't like all the HUMONGOUS thunderstorms in FL either. FL does have some beautiful beaches, but I like cooler air, big surf, and cliff/mtn. lined beaches better than tropical.

I don't surf but I love to watch and hear the waves crash, see some sea lions or sea otters swimming near the shore, hear all the seagulls, feel a cool ocean breeze, smell the nearby eucalyptus trees (Santa Cruz), hear a train go by on the cliffs above... those are some of the things I love about some of my favorite CA beaches. (FL has a lot smaller waves, and alot fewer seagulls, from what I recall).

FL has its own unique flavor too- I'd like a home in CA and a vacation home in FL. (Boca Raton area)

Old 03-03-2008, 07:07 AM

32,394 posts, read 59,890,532 times
Florida. The water is warmer.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:10 AM

10,736 posts, read 31,804,242 times
I like the fact that you can pick up all the sea shells you want here in Florida as long as there isn't anything living in them. I have a friend who is a beach comber like me who lives in California and she told me they no longer allow you to pick up sea shells, you can pick up sea glass since its not supposed to be there in the first place but not shells.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:34 AM

345 posts, read 789,019 times
Never been to California beaches, but I do have a question. During a heatwave out there, do people go for a swim in the beach for relief from the summer heat or is the water just too cold. Going a little off topic but I know the lakes out there should be warm enough to swim in isn't it like 90-100 degrees most days in the summer in inland portions of the state the water temp should be in the 80s, right?

Old 03-03-2008, 07:43 AM

32,376 posts, read 55,207,132 times
Btwn CA and FL, Id pick Hawaii.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:54 AM

312 posts, read 1,384,316 times
I know some people's who are swim in LA ocean at the summer before 2-3 years,and they told me that ocean was moderately warm.
There wasn't Santa Ana wind or heat wave.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:44 AM

4,126 posts, read 4,466,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmrtt View Post
Never been to California beaches, but I do have a question. During a heatwave out there, do people go for a swim in the beach for relief from the summer heat or is the water just too cold. Going a little off topic but I know the lakes out there should be warm enough to swim in isn't it like 90-100 degrees most days in the summer in inland portions of the state the water temp should be in the 80s, right?
Inland Lakes are generally warm(ish) but since a lot of them are reservoirs, swimming may not be allowed. We do have some water issues. California is a large state with a lot of different climates. Death valley regularly sets heat records while the area around Truckee sets cold records (-57 as I recall) and even snowfall records. The state has over 1100 miles of coastline that vary from sandy beaches to rocky cliffs. People who've never been here think of all of California as having an LA climate. There are 35 million people in the state and way more than half of them don't live in or even near LA. For me, LA is just under 400 miles away and I'm only half way up the state. I can get a tan on a warm sunny beach and take a 3-4 hour drive for some spring skiing.

There are plenty of fun ways to escape the heat. Remember that CA is the home of the Anaheim Ducks and the San Jose Sharks as well as Kristy Yamaguchi. We've got ice rinks out the ying-yang. Unlike many northern rinks, ours are year 'round and oddly popular in the summer months.

I think it was Mark Twain who said "The coldest winter of my life was a summer in San Francisco." Climates vary widely in CA. The only thing we don't have is swamps and tropical beaches.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:49 AM

1,965 posts, read 5,790,710 times
Southern California beaches have comfortable water temps in the summer. If you like to surf, there is no competition- California wins. Florida has better beaches in the winter if you are not a surfer or hiker. In the summer, California beaches are far more pleasant. I do like the shells in florida much better though.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:53 PM

4,927 posts, read 10,898,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmrtt View Post
Never been to California beaches, but I do have a question. During a heatwave out there, do people go for a swim in the beach for relief from the summer heat or is the water just too cold.
Uhhh...the water may be colder here than off the coast of Florida, but it's not cold enough to keep people out of the water during the summer. Here are some photos I took of the beaches around San Diego last summer:

Snorkeling at La Jolla

Coronado...what rocky coast are people talking about?

La Jolla Shores...folks in Florida wouldn't know what a wave was if it knocked em over

From the OB Pier

Florida beaches more beautiful? I don't think so Looking down on Black's Beach from the cliffs above

Last edited by sdurbanite; 03-05-2008 at 07:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.