Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 04:25 PM

45 posts, read 66,851 times

Advertisements

So long story short, I am a 25 year old man from New Jersey, single, and have been working to help my family for the past few years. I have decided to move away from my home due to recent circumstances enlightening me to chase my dream of moving across the country. My family wholeheartedly supports me.

I have been working very hard and have saved up $5000+, also extra for the first months rent wherever I go and probably the first round or 2 of groceries.

What I need is advice. I will be moving and working. I have no degree but I plan to go to school wherever I move to get a degree, not exactly sure in what yet.

Cities I have been considering (No particular order) :

Seattle
Denver
Anywhere in CA
Phoenix
Portland
Tucson
Austin or other cities in TX (I have a friend in TX that would like to get a place together in 6 months)

I also have a friend from overseas who wants me to stay with her in SD but I feel like it would drain my money quickly even if we are splitting rent for a 1 BR apartment. Enlighten me if I am wrong.

I have considered things like minimum wage into where I will be moving but what other aspects should I be worrying about? Also have seen the cost of living in those different cities so I understand some might just not be for me, but I wanted to show what I was interested in

As a young guy I really want somewhere, most importantly, that is affordable. Whether for studios, 1 BR or sharing a house with roommates. I like to meet people and hope to gain friends wherever I move. I like nice weather but to be honest, it isn't a deal breaker if somewhere very affordable has crappy weather (pacific northwest's drizzle situation), and I really want to have a city atmosphere with a downtown and everything. I like cosmopolitan kind of stuff.

I apologize for the length of my post, but it has been an ongoing struggle of where I should go to start a new life and I figured making this account and asking for help from people who really know about this can really clear some things up for me in this decision making process.

Please recommend any cities that a 25 year old with no degree can start a life and put himself through school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 05:43 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
How about picking up a quick online Pharmacy Tech diploma? Very inexpensive ($624.), take the national test and get a job anywhere. You can get through the program as quickly as you can do it! This particular school provides internships through Walgreens or CVS pharmacies. My friend went through it. (Only one of many programs through this school.)

https://www.pennfoster.edu/programs-...career-diploma

Old 01-28-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
How about picking up a quick online Pharmacy Tech diploma? Very inexpensive ($624.), take the national test and get a job anywhere. You can get through the program as quickly as you can do it! This particular school provides internships through Walgreens or CVS pharmacies. My friend went through it. (Only one of many programs through this school.)

Def appreciate the suggestion. I would also like to pursue a different career choice as well. If you have any recommendations for cities please let me know, and thanks for the response!

Old 01-28-2017, 06:16 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post

Interesting.

OP, those are some pretty expensive markets you chose.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Interesting.

OP, those are some pretty expensive markets you chose.
I'm not set on them. Do you have any experience with Phoenix or Tucson?

Old 01-28-2017, 06:45 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Seattle would make it easiest to not have a car. That plus a roommate would make it reasonably affordable. Portland is a little cheaper but less urban.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:49 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey2125 View Post
I'm not set on them. Do you have any experience with Phoenix or Tucson?
Been to the Phoenix airport, but have never hung out there. Too hot for me, but otherwise I could make it work I think. COL is pretty low and I think there's a lot of service industry type jobs available. I'd bet there's a lot of fun to be had for young people.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Seattle would make it easiest to not have a car. That plus a roommate would make it reasonably affordable. Portland is a little cheaper but less urban.
I could have a car if I want. I know Seattle has great Public Transportation so if I found a place out there. But I have heard that it is pretty high COL

Old 01-28-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Been to the Phoenix airport, but have never hung out there. Too hot for me, but otherwise I could make it work I think. COL is pretty low and I think there's a lot of service industry type jobs available. I'd bet there's a lot of fun to be had for young people.
That is what I thought too. Thanks again for the reply. So if you really had to think of a place that isn't NJ you'd say something like Phoenix, AZ

Old 01-28-2017, 07:13 PM

76 posts, read 76,998 times
Jersey, I'm in a similar situation like you.

Also from NJ (Bergen County) looking to head out West.

I've narrowed down my choices to Denver, LA or Phoenix and possibly the Tampa Bay area but that's less likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.