U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2017, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,857 posts, read 2,991,404 times
Reputation: 3399

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd have to disagree with that somewhat; now it might be hard finding something around 350K in a nice neighborhood within the Beltway, but if you go out just a little, there are options. Bowie would be a really good example.
That doesn't look bad at all. And great schools. But I wonder what the morning commute is like to DC. Says 46 minutes if I leave now, but wonder what it would be like at 7 am? That house looks good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2017, 08:20 AM
 
29,946 posts, read 27,406,003 times
Reputation: 18529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
That doesn't look bad at all. And great schools. But I wonder what the morning commute is like to DC. Says 46 minutes if I leave now, but wonder what it would be like at 7 am? That house looks good.
Yeah there are some really good houses out there for good prices...good schools, relatively low crime. It's definitely a bargain for the DC area.

I'm sure the commute to DC proper isn't a cakewalk but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people there commute to Montgomery County, Howard County, and Annapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,857 posts, read 2,991,404 times
Reputation: 3399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd have to disagree with that somewhat; now it might be hard finding something around 350K in a nice neighborhood within the Beltway, but if you go out just a little, there are options. Bowie would be a really good example.
Of course, check out what you can get in Allen, TX, a pretty nice burb in Dallas: 1816 Summer Glen Ct, Allen, TX 75002 | MLS #13467465 | Zillow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,857 posts, read 2,991,404 times
Reputation: 3399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah there are some really good houses out there for good prices...good schools, relatively low crime. It's definitely a bargain for the DC area.

I'm sure the commute to DC proper isn't a cakewalk but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people there commute to Montgomery County, Howard County, and Annapolis.
Yeah, I work in downtown DC, so it would be tougher for me. But it could be an hour both ways, which is doable, my guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 04:43 PM
 
2,549 posts, read 1,642,928 times
Reputation: 2034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yeah I guess. 350 gets you nothing in the DC area. Nothing that you would want your family to live in.
Even Seattle has closer suburb on 350 k range. Try Lakeland hills , Auburn WA, 30 min from Seattle. New home, not too shabby. Nothing for sale right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2017, 08:20 AM
 
Location: New York
33 posts, read 17,298 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This is an area that is similar to Brighton in the Buffalo area(very good schools, decent mix of people, some walkability, etc), that has a couple of colleges in the area and has areas not too far from the rail/subway station near the University of Buffalo's South Campus that go to Downtown Buffalo: Amherst Central Schools
I was going to recommend this! Plus your just a short drive to many different cities that are fashion forward, like Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2017, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,857 posts, read 2,991,404 times
Reputation: 3399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Even Seattle has closer suburb on 350 k range. Try Lakeland hills , Auburn WA, 30 min from Seattle. New home, not too shabby. Nothing for sale right now.
I think generally speaking, Seattle is a shade lower in COL than DC. Both are easily top 7 in the country though. Love Seattle. Wonder if LA has anything decent at 350?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2017, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,238 posts, read 24,437,910 times
Reputation: 13010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Wonder if LA has anything decent at 350?
Not in LA County, mostly the cities/parts of town nobody wants to live in. In Orange County, you're looking at condos or trailers. Same story in Ventura. In Riverside/San Bernardino Counties, $350K is entry level in the average cities, or brand new in one of the undesirable ones. But, by then, you're talking 50-70 miles from downtown LA, and 1-1.5 hours commutes each way in the morning.
__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, and the Washington state forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2017, 12:41 PM
 
1,577 posts, read 2,204,023 times
Reputation: 2762
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Not in LA County, mostly the cities/parts of town nobody wants to live in. In Orange County, you're looking at condos or trailers. Same story in Ventura. In Riverside/San Bernardino Counties, $350K is entry level in the average cities, or brand new in one of the undesirable ones. But, by then, you're talking 50-70 miles from downtown LA, and 1-1.5 hours commutes each way in the morning.

You can still find decent older condos in Newbury Park (Ventura County), albeit older. Here are listings in a complex I lived in years ago. I recently drove by and the outside looks even nicer than it did 24 years ago. We had a three bedroom, two bath condo there at the time, although three stories not so good with young kids, which is why we moved. In addition the surrounding area is very very nice with higher end homes.

Marlborough Hills Townhomes, Newbury Park 91320

Last edited by smpliving; 02-08-2017 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2017, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,857 posts, read 2,991,404 times
Reputation: 3399
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
You can still find decent older condos in Newbury Park (Ventura County), albeit older. Here are listings in a complex I lived in years ago. I recently drove by and the outside looks even nicer than it did 24 years ago. We had a three bedroom, two bath condo there at the time, although three stories not so good with young kids, which is why we moved. In addition the surrounding area is very very nice with higher end homes.

Marlborough Hills Townhomes, Newbury Park 91320
Wow, looks like a lot of value there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top