U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 02:44 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,750,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
I am patterning my life on the opposite strategy. When people leave an area in great numbers I see an opportunity. Also, I much prefer cold weather to hot, so I am just waiting for my opportunity to move north to the Great Lakes area (mainly, waiting for the right job).
So you'll be heading to Flint pretty soon, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 02:50 PM

1,016 posts, read 643,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Tampa and Jacksonville at #1 and #2 is mildly surprising given all of the "outside of Florida" love for Orlando. However the job economy is more conducive to those cities than Orlando (too many low-paying jobs there) and the rent to salary ratio in Orlando doesn't work for most. Tampa has always been a desirable option and hanging out in the top 5 for population gain, but Jacksonville is definitely the newbie and people are finally figuring out it's a great place to live with a decent cost of living, has a diverse economy, has the warmer and friendlier coastal vibe plus family-friendliness with good public schools (3 of 4 of their school districts are top 10 in the state).
Relative to the other major cities in Florida, Jacksonville is fairly cold in the wintertime and occasionally subject to winter weather. Because of this, the foliage is more reminiscent of Charleston and Savannah than that of Miami or Tampa. Also, as a result of this, Jacksonville has less of the beach-oriented culture that Florida is famous for because, unlike much of the rest of the state, you can't go to the beach 12 months / year in Jacksonville.

On a different note, I never found people in Jacksonville to be nearly as friendly or hospitable as they're purported to be; you'd need to drive to at least Brunswick or Darien to experience any level of Southern hospitality. In essence, I didn't find the culture of Jacksonville to be that much of a departure from the rest of the state.

Finally, Jacksonville has a LOT of urban blight and crime. The sea of dilapidated homes and other structures very close to the CBD of the city was highly reminiscent of Savannah; however, since Jacksonville is larger, the blight seemed to cover a much larger geographic area, and it's nowhere near as quaint, charming or historic as Savannah.

I understand that Jacksonville probably offers more competitive salaries / wages for skilled and professional work and has some family-friendly areas, but overall, moving to Jacksonville would really defeat the purpose of moving to Florida for most Americans.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:15 PM

21,201 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Relative to the other major cities in Florida, Jacksonville is fairly cold in the wintertime and occasionally subject to winter weather. Because of this, the foliage is more reminiscent of Charleston and Savannah than that of Miami or Tampa. Also, as a result of this, Jacksonville has less of the beach-oriented culture that Florida is famous for because, unlike much of the rest of the state, you can't go to the beach 12 months / year in Jacksonville.

On a different note, I never found people in Jacksonville to be nearly as friendly or hospitable as they're purported to be; you'd need to drive to at least Brunswick or Darien to experience any level of Southern hospitality. In essence, I didn't find the culture of Jacksonville to be that much of a departure from the rest of the state.

Finally, Jacksonville has a LOT of urban blight and crime. The sea of dilapidated homes and other structures very close to the CBD of the city was highly reminiscent of Savannah; however, since Jacksonville is larger, the blight seemed to cover a much larger geographic area, and it's nowhere near as quaint, charming or historic as Savannah.

I understand that Jacksonville probably offers more competitive salaries / wages for skilled and professional work and has some family-friendly areas, but overall, moving to Jacksonville would really defeat the purpose of moving to Florida for most Americans.
I'm guessing you're not terribly familiar with Jacksonville (or Florida for that matter) as the temperature differential isn't that great in the winter compared to Central Florida (Orlando area) with low temperatures varying by about all of three degrees and foliage is pretty similar with primarily hardwoods and pines. The sub-tropical delineation occurs across from around Bradenton on the Gulf side to Vero Beach on the Atlantic side where Palm Trees and other tropical foliage becomes routine. Jacksonville is no more limited to beach access than the other northern 2/3 of the state when it comes to "beach culture" and ability to go to the beach, as the only 12 month a year beaches are in extreme SE/SW Florida or the Keys. In terms of friendliness it's among a handful of most hospitable in the state, and is certainly ahead of what is found in SE Florida and Orlando from my extensive experiences. Jacksonville does not have a lot of urban blight and crime, no more than any other city it's size and would ask what massive areas you're referring to..?? It's the 15th largest city in the country by population yet doesn't rank in the top 30 major cities for crime, which obviously illustrates it's not exactly as crime ridden as you're suggesting. So in summary as the numbers already indicate, many have discovered it's many positives and are moving there for the value it represents in terms of family-friendliness, amenities, location, weather and job opportunity. Nice try at a smear job though!

Old 02-02-2017, 08:45 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,813,738 times
I'm curious about how this list was assembled because many on the list make sense while others are not nearly as fast growing but higher ranked. I wonder if this is only capturing moves to the actual city limits. If so, it would explain Jacksonville (which isn't particularly fast growing compared to many other metros) because its physical size is so enormous that it captures growth for what basically amounts to an entire county.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:04 AM

21,201 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I'm curious about how this list was assembled because many on the list make sense while others are not nearly as fast growing but higher ranked. I wonder if this is only capturing moves to the actual city limits. If so, it would explain Jacksonville (which isn't particularly fast growing compared to many other metros) because its physical size is so enormous that it captures growth for what basically amounts to an entire county.
The lists of late that calculate "fastest growing" or "where most are moving" tend to utilize net migration numbers. Some lists use only inbound migration but don't factor the number moving out.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:20 AM

4,246 posts, read 2,517,507 times
Baby boomers are retiring and moving south.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:54 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,396,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Baby boomers are retiring and moving south.
True but also the baby boomers kids...

The millennials many of whom are in their late 20s to early 30's are into their careers and following the money south. And if they are looking to buy the southern cities afford that chance for the most part. And the cities have become big league some already were Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Miami. But there are many which now offer big city amenities, Saks 5th, Nordstroms ha!. Light rail, multiple sports, urban atmosphere. Charlotte, Tampa, Austin, Raleigh, Jacksonville, Nashville even OKC.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:56 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,392,125 times
Quote:

Why you making Jax sound like Baltimore? Its not all that much colder. Its average high in January is 65. Only 4 degrees cooler than Tampa's.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:03 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,881,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Why you making Jax sound like Baltimore? Its not all that much colder. Its average high in January is 65. Only 4 degrees cooler than Tampa's.
The normal lows differ by closer to 10 in Jan though, and Jax is 2 hardiness zones lower (8B to 9B). The only big difference is a lot less citrus in Duval County and some tropicals like Roystonea won't grow up there. But certainly much warmer than even Atlanta or Myrtle Beach, Jax is to Atlanta like Miami is to Jax I'd say

Old 02-04-2017, 07:45 PM

686 posts, read 401,075 times
Quote:
Also, as a result of this, Jacksonville has less of the beach-oriented culture that Florida is famous for because, unlike much of the rest of the state, you can't go to the beach 12 months / year in Jacksonville.
You can't in Tampa, either, unless you just want to take a quick stroll on the beach or something. In fact, most of Florida is not year round beach weather despite what people who have never been here seem to think. Hell, we recently had lows in the upper 30s here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or