U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 12:49 PM

662 posts, read 941,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
You can't in Tampa, either, unless you just want to take a quick stroll on the beach or something. In fact, most of Florida is not year round beach weather despite what people who have never been here seem to think. Hell, we recently had lows in the upper 30s here.
Upper 30's? You must be north of Tampa. I'm out on Treasure island. I'm not sure if we have dropped into the 40's at night yet.
That being said, anything below 70 sucks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 11:47 PM

330 posts, read 237,669 times
I'm taking Austin since it ranked #1 as America's best city city to live in.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:49 AM

3,952 posts, read 3,485,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicAries View Post
I'm taking Austin since it ranked #1 as America's best city city to live in.

I don't think it surprises anyone that someone from Austin would do that. There are lists for everything and any homer can throw one out to validate their city of choice. There is no definitive answer to America's best city to live in and there are 100 different lists calling out 100 different cities. I don't find Austin particularly special for ending up on a list.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:08 AM

33 posts, read 17,224 times
It makes sense. Some people don't like the cold and some of these cities are in an area where the climate will suit them better. I think many of these cities are evolving with the movers and look very tempting to a lot of others!

Old 02-08-2017, 11:26 AM

330 posts, read 237,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I don't think it surprises anyone that someone from Austin would do that. There are lists for everything and any homer can throw one out to validate their city of choice. There is no definitive answer to America's best city to live in and there are 100 different lists calling out 100 different cities. I don't find Austin particularly special for ending up on a list.
Thank you. Austin is a great place, but it constantly ranks high for just about everything. Sadly Austin isn't what it used to be.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:59 PM

4,154 posts, read 4,725,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
low cost of living?????? Did you see the median home prices in most of those places? Midwest definitely has a lower cost of living.
Definitely! Cleveland, Detroit, Cincinnati, KC, St. Louis, Columbus and Indianapolis are definitely cheaper than Austin, Dallas and Houston. Only Chicago (for now) and Minneapolis seem holding the flag for the Midwest.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:57 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,136,536 times
Forbes is a highly annoying publication. Their city ratings and city cheerleading tend to be off from reality. It's all about magazine sales and sensationalism. They know what gets peoples' attention, and tune into that for maximum effect.

Regardless, people flock to whatever places are on their lists, and inevitably ruin the cities in the process. I live in one such town that used to get their high praise. The city is still trying to cope with the mass descending of population on our ground zero. We can't keep up, and have fallen in many categories and ways. Forbes now wouldn't touch this city with a ten foot pole. Thanks Forbes @$sh0!*$

Today's trendy cities will be tomorrow's (well, a decade or two's) overburdened and troubled cities. In the future, I'll avoid all cities that get their promotion and highlighting.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:12 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,111,324 times
All of these sunbelt places like Dallas, Houston, Austin, Phoenix and Raleigh are not really cheap anymore. In 5-10 years from now they'll start to totally lose their COL advantage, if it hasn't started already. True cheap living is in the Midwest, generally, but not in Minneapolis, Chicago, Ann Arbor, Madison or even Milwaukee.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:35 PM

6,550 posts, read 10,254,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
All of these sunbelt places like Dallas, Houston, Austin, Phoenix and Raleigh are not really cheap anymore. In 5-10 years from now they'll start to totally lose their COL advantage, if it hasn't started already. True cheap living is in the Midwest, generally, but not in Minneapolis, Chicago, Ann Arbor, Madison or even Milwaukee.
The median price of a new build in Dallas-Fort Worth is about to cross the $350k mark. That, to me, is laughable. Sure, it's cheap for someone coming from the coasts, but there's no way in hell I'd drop that much coin on a house there. Other than a strong economy there's really nothing that sets the Metroplex apart from the rest of the country. It's the epitome of a bland, boring job hub. Jobs and cheap houses are the primary draw there.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:09 PM

686 posts, read 399,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I thought Austin was already mired in high prices. Maybe I'm just thinking of the downtown area. Guess I should take a look again (not that I'd ever want to live there).

But to your point, I completely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or