U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2017, 02:13 AM

8 posts, read 14,688 times

Advertisements

I want to move to a city with low cost of living. I want to be able to get my own studio apartment. I work in the fast food business, and working full time, I know there's apartments somewhere out there that are in the 400-800 range. So my question is... Where should I go? Ive researched cities with the lowest cost of living and these are some of them:
1. Toledo, OH
2. Detroit, MI (not there, ive heard it's dangerous)
3. Wichita, KS (not there, tornado alley)
4. Fayettville, NC (NC is beautiful! In consideration. Im from SC)
5. Augusta, GA
6. Columbus, GA
7. Knoxville, TN (sounds nice)
8. Memphis, TN (sounds nice)
9. Greensboro, NC (again, love NC)
10. Tucson, AR (Too hot, dont like desert)
11. Tallahassee, FL (eh, wouldnt mind)
12. Spokane, WA (na, im in portland OR and im tired of the NW)
13. El paso, TX (dont like TX, too hot)
14. Little Rock, AK (hmm...looks nice)
15. Lubbock TX (not a fan of TX)
16. Des moines, IO (hmm...)
17. Cincinnati (I really like the idea)
18. Boise, ID (na...)
19. Indianapolis (im leaning towards this city the most right now, bc its big and probably has alot of jobs and affordable apartments, and its a good location in the country for traveling)
20.Rochester, NY (always wanted to see NYC)
21.oklahoma,city (no, tornado alley)
22. St louis, MO (looks nice)
23.cleveland, OH (really like this one too, for similar reason to Indianapolis)
24. Las vegas (hell no, just no.)
25. Raleigh, NC (extremley considering. Beautiful, but the priciest in the list)
So what do you guys think? If you had to pick one of these to try to an apartment with a mc job, where would it be?

Last edited by JMT; 01-30-2017 at 12:03 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 06:23 AM

21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
A studio would get really old, really quick so you might try to look at one bedroom apartments instead. The bigger cities are the ones where you'll find the $10-$12 an hour options (versus federal minimum wage) so would stick to those. In terms of safety and things to do (along with cost of living) I would say Cincinnati is your best bet.

Rental Listings in Cincinnati OH - 42 Rentals | Zillow

Old 01-30-2017, 10:27 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 22 days ago)

10,507 posts, read 14,335,765 times
I would take memphis off the list. Anything you could get there in the lower price range is most likely not in a safe n'hood and if you're paying $800 making minimum wage you probably won't have enough money left over to afford the things memphis can offer.
Knoxville is a little better, but expect to pay around $500 for a place that is marginal at best, from my son's last apt hunt I would say $650-$700 for a one bedroom is about average for anything decent.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:39 AM

3,961 posts, read 3,495,663 times
I'd add Grand Rapids MI to your list. It's a smaller city (1million metro) but still larger than some of the options on your list. It's attractiveness lies in its economy. With unemployment hovering above and below 3% for last couple of years most service type places are getting aggressive with getting employees, because the labor market is so tight. Most places are looking to start full timers between $10-$12. I don't know that you could find a place that starts at minimum wage. On top of that there's a bunch of construction happening in the downtown area and immediate neighborhoods. Market rate rents run over $1400/ month for a 1 bedbroom.

However there are a bunch of programs for housing assistance and you CAN find a studio for $400-$600 in a decent neighborhood. There are also LIHTC(Low income housing tax credits) units being built. These are not the same as section 8. In these cases the state of Michigan is giving tax credits to developers as a method of financing. In return the developers offer the units at a greatly reduced rate for people at a certain income thresh-hold. What this means is that you can get a brand new apartment in what are often bad ass locations with fantastic amenities for $600 or less. There are obviously waitlists for these types of places, but more are being built downtown. Usually it's students and artists that get these types of places. Since they don't have to accept any body they can still have some level of acceptance criteria, and the people who live in them tend to be over a better caliber of character.

I know Grand Rapids wasn't on your radar, but for being smaller it has a pretty trendy and busy downtown. It's got a very strong beer culture with over 50 breweries in the area. Also being close to the recreation areas of lake Michigan there's never a shortage of stuff to do.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:50 AM

256 posts, read 168,203 times
I'd try to stick to the smaller places on the list. Going with one of the big cities, sure you could technically live there, but you'd have to be in a pretty dangerous or slummy neighborhood which you said you didn't want becuase you said no to Detroit.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:09 PM

56,660 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Umm, Rochester is about 4 and a half/5 hours from NYC. If you want NYS, affordable and a reasonable distance from NYC, I'd say either Binghamton or perhaps select places near/in the Albany area. You are still looking at 2/2 and a half hours, but with the Albany area, you can take a train to NYC from places like say Hudson, Rensselaer or a little further north like Glens Falls/Fort Edward.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:16 PM

4,818 posts, read 5,373,091 times
OP have you done your homework as far as - you probably won't make the same hourly wage if you move?

Old 01-30-2017, 01:38 PM

15,523 posts, read 17,750,904 times
Cincinnati has a min. wage of $8.15 an hour and you can find fairly centrally located studios for around $400-700/month.

It is one of the most amenity rich, "real" cities on your list, but even if you can afford a place to live, you won't have much money left over to enjoy it.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:14 PM

21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Cincinnati has a min. wage of $8.15 an hour and you can find fairly centrally located studios for around $400-700/month.

It is one of the most amenity rich, "real" cities on your list, but even if you can afford a place to live, you won't have much money left over to enjoy it.
Employers in larger cities very rarely pay anywhere close to the posted minimum wage due to competition for workers, especially in cities where the unemployment rate is as low as Cincinnati's which is at 3.8%. The OP is also experienced and would see opportunities other than entry level, as well as qualification for food service jobs (Sodexho, etc) which pay even higher.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:35 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,634,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemarine772 View Post
I want to move to a city with low cost of living. I want to be able to get my own studio apartment. I work in the fast food business, and working full time, I know there's apartments somewhere out there that are in the 400-800 range. So my question is... Where should I go? Ive researched cities with the lowest cost of living and these are some of them:
1. Toledo, OH
2. Detroit, MI (not there, ive heard it's dangerous)
3. Wichita, KS (not there, tornado alley)
4. Fayettville, NC (NC is beautiful! In consideration. Im from SC)
5. Augusta, GA
6. Columbus, GA
7. Knoxville, TN (sounds nice)
8. Memphis, TN (sounds nice)
9. Greensboro, NC (again, love NC)
10. Tucson, AR (Too hot, dont like desert)
11. Tallahassee, FL (eh, wouldnt mind)
12. Spokane, WA (na, im in portland OR and im tired of the NW)
13. El paso, TX (dont like TX, too hot)
14. Little Rock, AK (hmm...looks nice)
15. Lubbock TX (not a fan of TX)
16. Des moines, IO (hmm...)
17. Cincinnati (I really like the idea)
18. Boise, ID (na...)
19. Indianapolis (im leaning towards this city the most right now, bc its big and probably has alot of jobs and affordable apartments, and its a good location in the country for traveling)
20.Rochester, NY (always wanted to see NYC)
21.oklahoma,city (no, tornado alley)
22. St louis, MO (looks nice)
23.cleveland, OH (really like this one too, for similar reason to Indianapolis)
24. Las vegas (hell no, just no.)
25. Raleigh, NC (extremley considering. Beautiful, but the priciest in the list)
So what do you guys think? If you had to pick one of these to try to an apartment with a mc job, where would it be?
An area of the country with very low rents is the smaller metropolitan areas on the plains. Cedar Rapids, St. Cloud, Eau Claire, Lincoln and La Crosse

I am sure an apartment could be rented for $500 a month or less.

In my research, Pocatello, Idaho and Logan, Utah have extremely and unusually low rents. They are college towns that have low unemployment rates. Companies seem to move to that area because they know they can pay less.

I know that Logan a few years ago, there were $300 a month apartments and free transit. It is also one of the safest smaller cities in the country and a solid, core of chain retail in the city and also a huge university town.

Pocatello also has $300 a month apartments, it's a college town like Logan.

The have extremely cold winters but a very high quality of life and amenities in general for their size. They also tend to have relatively low unemployment rates and decent employment prospects.

Pocatello, Logan, Cedar Rapids, St. Cloud, Eau Claire, Lincoln and La Crosse are smaller metropolitan areas of course but they are all college towns so you have much more in the way amenities then a typical city and they also serve as retail hubs for very large areas.

Toledo seems to have the lowest rents in America. Seems to have a good economy, good amenities and a fairly high quality of life except for the extreme cold.

I wish I would have went to Toledo when I was traveling as I seems to be a good, solid, affordable metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or