U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 07:14 PM

808 posts, read 2,146,337 times

Advertisements

Many people who don't like the midwest don't like it because it's not 'cool' or 'hip'

That's fine.

They can go drive up housing prices and sprawl out in super-expensive coastal cities.

The midwest is timeless. There's abundant farmland, water, and of course a wonderful appreciation for the arts without a lot of the snobbery one sees on the coasts. Many of the cities have beautiful old city cores that you just don't see in the cookie cutter cities and suburbs that so many have flocked too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 07:25 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,261,348 times
I thought this thread was made to discuss the positives of the Great Plains region. I knew it wouldn't be open long before somebody would make some negative statement about the coastal cities. People like what they like, period. You're no different from people living in coastal cities.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:24 PM

4,229 posts, read 15,405,231 times
Lets keep this positive please.

About leaving out Ohio and Indiana, sorry. There beautiful states I just wanted to state the most common ones. Sorry again. I love the lower part of especially Madison, Indiana. Canton Ohio rocks! Football Hall of Fame. Cleveland's rock and roll hall of fame.

God Bless the Midwest.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:53 PM

3,070 posts, read 10,701,287 times
I dont really consider the Great Lakes Region and the midwest to be the same thing. The Great Lakes region is much much better than the midwest. The Great Lakes Region to me is the entire state of Michigan and any area in a Midwestern state that is within 150 miles of one of the lakes. Large Cities include Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee aka the best cities in the midwest.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:21 PM

86,987 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Pennsylvania and NY are also Great Lakes states. However, PA is not the midwest.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:36 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,169,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Ohio is a Great Lakes state and in the midwest, any reason you left it out?
He had to make room for Iowa which is not a Great Lakes state...

Not to mention conflating "Great Lakes State" with the Midwest includes states that are not actually Great Lakes states and leaves out Pennsylvania and New York. Kind of a goofy premise here...

Old 03-03-2008, 06:08 PM

2,554 posts, read 5,995,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Let the shallow, winter weenies leave, clears out the riff-raff and leaves those who truly love the area. And if it doesnt appeal to people, why does the Midwest lay claim to some of the most populous states in the nation? PA (if considered midwest), IL, MI, OH all have high populations, in the top 10 of this country. And while winters here can be harsh, we have some of the best summers in the country. And while others are running the A/C non-stop from April until October in some places, we're here able to hike 15 miles a day, or play street hockey all afternoon w/o fear of heat stroke or the wheels melting into the pavement. No place has perfect weather, in some season or another youre gonna suffer, except maybe in San Diego.

I agree. Today in Cleveland it was 65. I was driving in traffic today and people had their tops down and their moonroofs open. I opened up my moonroof and had the windows down. It was such a great day. Im sorry, but I like the change in seasons.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:36 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,363,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
He had to make room for Iowa which is not a Great Lakes state...

Not to mention conflating "Great Lakes State" with the Midwest includes states that are not actually Great Lakes states and leaves out Pennsylvania and New York. Kind of a goofy premise here...
Yeah, I grew up in Iowa. Strange, cause I always assoicated it with the actual states that border the great lakes. It's totally tied and "looks" to Wisconsin, Illinois and Minnesota...

I don't really think of Nebraska or Missouri, South Dakota to have much to do with Iowa.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:53 PM

Thats why I included Iowa, plus it seems as though Iowa deserves some credit. It reminds me alot of Wisconsin. I love Field of Dreams.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:55 PM

I think Iowa deserves a bit more credit on these forums. Thats just my opinion though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or